PDA

View Full Version : Real Woman Dreams

Lisa Zamcho
12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-22-2008/162936_real_woman_dreams.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Real Woman Dreams
Year Created:
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Board
Dimension: 20x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was created using oil pastel, watercolors and a bit of acrylics on canvas board.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Looking forward to hear what you think of this piece and I am also open to your thoughts on how to make it better.

Ronni
12-23-2008, 03:33 AM
Hi Lisa. Your art excites me. It is very personal and souly.
I am a bit surprised, that you ask how to make it better, because you (to my happiness) don't forcast, on the scale of right and wrong, but on a much personal experience, which apeals to me. But if you insist, her palms miss thumbs for me, to make them more alive, and not alike burnt sticks' edges.

tgsloth
12-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I'd term this a graphic art rather than painterly treatment and as such, I'd suggest you be very accurate with your line integrity. The blue orb needs to be circular; the mauve swipe lines need to be confident and they're a bit wobbly. These aspects of craftsmanship are essential for a graphic art type painting to work at its best. Also, since you show her mouth (and you've done that very well) I think a touch representing her eye could add to the work.

Ronni
12-23-2008, 08:58 AM
tgsloth and I capture your work, all the opposite :) this expresses the idea, not only beauty, even other's intentions depend on the viewer's eyes lol...I mean, it is open to a viewer. In tgsloth's world, things should be correct, high class etc. this is legitimate, but be aware this is one possibility only, in my world, I deal with what I feel when I see a piece of art, what it reminds to me associations etc. In this case, it doesn't have a graphic nature as I feel it, but a souly dreamy one, a woman praying for something she wishes to become true...direct form - in my opinion, will destroy this dreamy feel.

I want to add, I love your Title....it places the creation between a dream and reality....the dream is real....the creator is aware to the dream.

Corby
12-23-2008, 03:43 PM
This is very attractive and very well done. I think it is necessary to understand the context of a work in order to fully evaluate it. If one is doing a traditional piece in salon fashion if you will. Then there are very strict artistic, even formulaic patterns that must be respected. That is true of any genre to the extent that the rules applied will enhance the work. Rembrandt for example would have made a very poor graphic artist! Imagine his advertisement for toothpaste? I believe this is quite lovely as a graphic presentation. The rules of composition, color, value, are well met. The drawing skill which is the absolute bedrock of good painting (AISI) it adequate for the presentation. It could of course be developed, we never stop developing our skills as artists. Incidentally, this reminds me of the sort of things we used to see done in pairs. Where is the male? I like it. And last but by no means least, Lisa! Be welcome to the Wetcanvas!

tgsloth
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Some interesting threads. Ronni, girlfriend, you've got me a little wrong. Things are not correct, high class in my world. You should see my golf swing. I felt like Lisa was aiming at a graphic art treatment and in that instance, I continue to argue for basic precision. But I actually prefer a more painterly approach and for this painting to move in that direction, I'd suggest things like eliminating the hard edges, particularly those ochre lines. The seed of a painterly transformation of this work is, I think, in the wonderful way Lisa has handled the sun at the lower right.

Lisa Zamcho
12-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks all for your insights.
ronni your right about the thumbs, I'll try to rework them in there.
Tgsloth I see what you mean about the eyes too,
and thanks for thew arm welcome Corby!