GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Snow Hill
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x15 (28x38)
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is painted by using the ref. photo in December Landscape Challege 2008.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
1. Does the ochre (yellow ochre, lamb black, a touch a prussian blue) under layer show too much unde<br>eath the snow?<br><br>2. What do you think about the texture of the snow? Is it too loose?<br><br>3. How about the general look of this landscape?

mrschaplain
12-20-2008, 09:48 AM
I must say that I just love this painting. Love the compostion. I think the snow looks great.

Corby
12-20-2008, 10:09 AM
There is nothing to fault in any of the areas you have mentioned. In my opinion it is beautifully done and very authoritatively carries the feel of a crisp winter morning that promises to be a 'warm' winters day. I like the direct and fresh, unlabored feel of the work. My only observation of what might be improved has to do with composition. There is need to balance the heavy value on the left side of the painting with the lighter values and more open feel of the painting on the right. The scattered small trees are not sufficient. The addition of just one somewhat larger tree works to gather all these small trees into a more cohesive unit and thus give extra visual weight to the right side of the painting. This brings about the needed compositional balance. (AISI)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2008/70790-50779_Snow_Hill.jpg

konsu
12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
hello,

i like it. the light row of trees on the right in the background is very nicely done.

i would argue that removing the tall fur trees fixes the composition better. :)

konstantin

tgsloth
12-20-2008, 12:57 PM
This is one of those oils which emulate pastel technique through, usually, a lot of dry brushing. And I mean this as a compliment. The texture and brushwork is just great. Corby's crit on composition is right on, I think. For me, the snow is great and I don't share your worry.

What bothers me is the line of very white clouds following the line of hills. Compositionally, they are too much mirroring the hill line and I feel their color is way too white such that they come forward instead of staying in the darn sky like clouds should.

ejtupi
12-20-2008, 06:24 PM
The bottom third of the painting is exciting, and the subtle highlight on the snow is intriguing, suggesting the promise of sunlight (we high latitude types cherish it).

The sky is a bit awkward, though. As mentioned above, the clouds are somewhat of an issue. I'm also having difficulty with the vertical strokes of what seem like ochre color in the sky. Actually, I understand that there's an effort to tie the yellow/ochre highlights in the sky to the landscape colors, but the introduction of the color seems a bit deliberate.

Those are nitpicks. This is a beautiful picture.

laudesan
12-20-2008, 07:53 PM
The title SNOW will get me to look, and I am glad I did. Delightful painting. Only thing that bothers me greatly is the whiteness of the clouds above the trees, or maybe it is the sky in general, but the upper portion of the panting doesn't fit the bottom portion to me.

cbcarnell
12-20-2008, 11:19 PM
This is beautiful! You should post it in the Dec. Landscape thread as well, everyone who participated would love to see your rendition of this photo reference.

gaensanger
12-21-2008, 05:31 AM
I like it, you hit the feeling perfect! Beautiful work.

moscatel
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone! You are a big help!