PDA

View Full Version : Untitled - Ladybug Finished!

Fiskaa
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Just started this one yesterday, got a line drawing together and transferred to the good paper. Using a reference from the RIL - click here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=31080&cat=fav). Not an ideal reference due to the blurriness - but I think I can make do.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2008/142122-Ladybug1.jpg

I'll be using the same paper as I did for the Tomato - Strathmore 400 Series Bristol Vellum. I haven't gotten to choose a pallete just yet, I'll take care of that next session.

I think I might try to set up some underpainting to start on this one....probably not complements....I'm not sure I can handle that thought procees yet. I'll likely do some sort of greytone underpainting - although the instincts say just start putting color on there!

Any suggestions or warnings for this one?

I'm kicking the idea around of leaving the bg white plain paper.

Chris

MYpencil
07-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Oooh! I can't wait to see what you do with this. I think a light green or tan background would be nice.

ocmd123
07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Challenging ref! I'll be watching.

kp84
07-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Can't wait to see the working progress stages..I love lady birds :D

ZB3
07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Any suggestions or warnings for this one?

You can't go wrong with a French Grey grisaille. ;)

Good luck! I'll be watching this cute little critter. :wave:

TessDB
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Getting a seat in the front row... :wave:

And now I'll chatter about backgrounds... :rolleyes: You don't need to decide immediately if you're going to do a background or not, but the sooner the better on that decision. That being said, I'd like to see a background included. The plain white paper can give a very formal, botanical illustration feel to a piece. Which can be a good thing. :) It can also become a bad habit... Do you have photoshop or some other software that'll let you fiddle an image? If so, maybe play with just doing a solid colored background of some sort on the computer, and see what works for your vision of this.

Looking forward to an update!
Rosemary

Fiskaa
07-08-2008, 12:14 AM
No update yet!:cool:

MyPencil - Tan/sepia was what I was thinking too - still not sure.

Elaine - Hopefully not too challenging....:eek:

Katie - I didn't even know that a lady bug is also called a lady bird. I read that some people also call it a lady beetle.

Jan - Thanks, hopefully it doesn't turn into slow motion car wreck!:evil:

I actually think i'll be scrapping plans for a grisaille on this one. I don't feel it's the right time or the right piece...I'm probably just too green and scared. I think I'll try my first grisaille on a smaller piece(this one is 9x12).

Rosemary - I think I'll know if I want a background once I start laying some of the greens down. If yes, then I'll start right away....Doing the dark bg on the tomato after the tomato was mostly filled in was rough keeping dark color crumbs off the red areas.

I think that botanical illustrative feel might be what I was initially thinking subconciously. I was even throwing the idea around of having a couple ladybugs placed in the white space separatley....No worries though I'm not the type to get stuck in one style:angel:.

Update soon....

Chris

ocmd123
07-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Elaine - Hopefully not too challenging....:eek:

Chris

After watching your tomato come together, I don't think so. :)

Smokindevil
07-08-2008, 08:43 AM
For me it would be hard not to do the background as you see it. The cool round shape of the lady bird juxtaposed against the angular shape of the grass. Although I would make a few changes.

1) I would slightly intensify the colors of the lady bird and the closed flower. For instance I would make the red a brighter or sharper shade of red and I would use a more distinct yellow in the end of the flower.

2) If you can vaguely stay true to the angular shapes in the background and blend them together you can get a nice 'out of focus' look.

3) This may even be a good place for a little mixed media. (I'm kinda intrigued by Mixed Media these days) What I mean is to do a series of watercolor washes or glazes in the back ground. Let that dry and then come back in with color pencils to add a little 'umph' to it. Do the Lady bird and flower in all CP. I think this would enhance the focal point and push the background, well...into the background hehe...:lol:

Hey but what do I know!! I'm learning too. Gonna pull up a mushroom and watch this one.
Great start!!

Fiskaa
07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Update - end of my cp honeymoon:wave:.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2008/142122-Ladybug2.jpg

It's not a pretty start, but it's a start. To be honest I really didn't want to post this here, I'm not happy at all with it. I'm not touching it until I work out what the plan is. I didn't do any color research up front...ie swatches etc.

I worked on this for about an hour and a half last night. I picked out some colors to work on the green leaf parts first:

Yellow Chartruese
Pale Sage
Light Green
Sky Blue Light
Kelly Green
and I think Apple green....old pencil sharpened wrong way.

I did have a focused start and layed in some Pale Sage, then light green in some areas and then into the apple green and then kelly green in some areas. AS I went though I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere really.

C&C, any advice.....I'm basically tring out stuff on scrap paper at this point.

virgo68
07-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Love ladybirds, so have pulled up a comfy chair, snacks to hand and watching with keen interest! For what it is worth Chris, I am drawn to botanical illustrations so would be very pleased to observe that sort of style in progress, but of course the floor is yours to do what you will ........! Looking forward to watching what you decide, Jackie

ocmd123
07-10-2008, 08:02 AM
My advice is to do swatches, so keep working that scrap paper. The ref is blurred at this particular part of the flower, so use what you know about color and what feels right. Don't forget about tuscan red, indigo blue for some of your dark areas.

JayD
07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
You can also look on the internet for other references to this particular plant--to give you a clearer picture--Its what I do with bad pictures of dogs.

FaeLynn
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi again Chris!
I think you have a very promising start. I like the crop on your drawing much better than the ref photo you're using. As with your tomato (which turned out brilliantly), take your time! You have the right mind set for CP, just don't trash your drawing and keep at it! I have faith in you. As for the bg, it will come to you later. I don't think I'd be keen on doing all that grass! I'll be watching this!
Oh one thing, I suggest using purples in your shadows on the dandelion. I did this in a sunflower I did a couple years ago. It looks more brown when you add the yellows! If I can find that one, I will post it.

TessDB
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Ok, repeat after me: test swatches are my friends. :D

Greens are *hard* Chris. So know you aren't the only one to struggle with them! That being said, have you read through the Developing Color Awareness (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496877) thread yet? It starts off with yellow (may be helpful in the near future ;) ) and has moved into greens. Might give you some good ideas of what you want to do next with this.

It looks to me like you're off to a good start. It may be my monitor, but it looks like the greens may be running just a wee bit too cool/blue. Just for giggles on those test swatches, maybe pull in some pinks and see where that takes you. :)

Would it help you stay motivated if I bring snacks? Got some cookies to pass around. :D

Rosemary

Fiskaa
07-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Update:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/142122-Ladybug3a.jpg

closeup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2008/142122-Ladybug3.jpg

Things are going somewhat better today, thanks for all the advice! I took a step back pulled colors off the pallete and brought some in. It seems to have paid off at least a little.

Added colors:
Black cherry
Tuscan red
Mulberry
Olive Green
Chartruese

also used some white

Removed apple and kelly green for now.

The darkest area near the base of the leaf(is it a petal?) I mixed olive green and tuscan red....that alone really added some shape to the leaf. The rest of the leaf I really just scrambled adding stuff here and there...no method to my madness yet apparently.

I plan to fade the outline around the edges and blend them more, it was the last part I worked on, and the stopping point for today.

Chris - Thanks for all the suggestions! I considered leaving the bg as is, but for some reason I'm really not feeling it. I think all that green takes away from the subject - for me the dandelion is as important as the lady bug.

As for mixed media....not at this point. I'm afraid I'm sort of a flunk at any traditional painting, last I checked anyway.:o

Thanks for your comments either way, it helps alot!

Jackie - I do hope to render the sort of realism in that style. If anything this'll be a learning experience. I'm still on the fencewith the bg, though of course leaving the bg white would be easier! Not that I would take the easy way out....no really I wouldn't :angel:

Elaine - Thanks for reminding me about pushing the darks with dark colors - it paid off with the Tuscan red I think:thumbsup:. When you do swatches do you use a piece of scrap that is the same as the paper you are working on? At this point I only have full sheets....maybe I can sacrafice one. Working on a regular piece of sketch paper doesn't seem to be the same at all.

Jay - I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. I didn't even think about finding other photos to refer to.:cool:

Fae - Thanks for all your nice comments!:)Happy you dropped in to check this out! I plan to take this slow, I learned alot on that Tomato...rushing certain parts of that one almost led to disaster! I do plan to use purples in the flower parts....To be honest that is the part of this piece that frightens me the most....which I have read means I maybe should have started with them, so if I screwed up i could start over without too much investment. But I chickened out grabbed a green pencil and started on the leaf:cat:.

Rosemary - "Test swatches are my friends!"
:p I'm learning that the hard way:lol:. I have read through and been following that thread....it is very interesting. I've been lazy though and haven't actually done the swatches in that thread. I will when I get some free time. I certainly have much to learn about color.

The only reason I'm doing anything serious with color is cause it's encapsulated in something I can understand, and actually be comfortable using..pencils!

It is on the cool side, but let me know what you think now....I did go over with a very light wash of hot pink. I'm not sure if it even shows.

Hmmmm you have any peanut butter cookies?!:evil:

Thanks again ladies and gents!:wave:

kp84
07-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Its certainly an excellent start!! Its looking very vibrant and life like - looking forward to seeing how this will progress. :D

TessDB
07-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Yay! an update!

The greens are looking better, Chris. :thumbsup: While you can still remember what you've done, you might want to work on some of the other green areas... and start in on the ladybug. The reds there may change what you're thinking about the greens. :)

Hmmmm you have any peanut butter cookies?!:evil:

Sure. :D

Rosemary

Lady Carol
07-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Wow, looking good here. Nice blending too.

ocmd123
07-11-2008, 08:16 AM
It's looking good, Chris. It is best to do swatches on the same type of paper you are using for the drawing. The colors behave so differently on different surfaces. But swatches done on other paper would still be helpful. Just proceed a little carefully when you try it on your drawing, knowing the effect may not be quite the same.
Another thing you can do is just use the border around your drawing, assuming you've left one for framing purposes. Once framed, the swatches won't show. I also make sure to number/label the colors and order of the colors I put down on the swatches so I remember when I want to use that particular color.
All that being said, I do sometimes just dive in with color on my drawing. But when intuition isn't doing it for me, it's swatches, swatches, swatches. :)

FaeLynn
07-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh yeah! Coming along nicely. You must be a natural. I can't wait to see more!

Fiskaa
07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Katie - thank you, I'm enjoying working on it so far!

Rosemary - I think I'll take your advice, I'm going to do one more leaf then I'll get a start on the Lady Bug, see what red does to this piece. You're right though greens are tough so far.

Hi LadyCarol :wave:- Thank you!

Elaine - Thanks for the info, it is very informative. With the tomato I went right to the edge of the paper, it didn't even occur to me to do otherwise. I'll have to consider leaving a border in the future(especially if I plan on framing.)

Faelynn - Thanks! I'm happy you are enjoying this one!

I hope to get some work on this done today and tomorrow....stayed tuned!:thumbsup:

ZB3
07-13-2008, 12:56 AM
I absolutely love that texture you're getting! Just perfect! Smooth, but not too smooth...and the green is lovely.

No slo-mo car wreck on the horizon, that I foresee! ;) :) :wave:

Fiskaa
07-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Update:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2008/142122-Ladybug4.jpg

I developed this equation for the leaves:
-Layer of light sky blue for the light to medium areas.
-Layer in light green in most of the medium value areas.
-Rough in chartruese where there are hints of yellowish green in the ref
-Light accents of olive green in medium dark areas
-True green in medium and medium dark areas
-Tuscan red and olive green in the darkest areas.

It seems to work well and got me to what you see so far on the second leaf. I'll probably alternate between those colors in each respective area until it gets more vivid.

On the lower leaf I did a wash of salmon pink to tone down the coolness just a touch - I think it worked:eek::p.

On the ladybug the palette so far is:
Pale Vermillion
Orange
Scarlet lake
Crimson lake
Tuscan red
Black

Where the two wings meet looks a little funky to me right now...have to work on that.

Jan-Thank you! Hopefully I can get this car to the finish line without any incidents!

I don't think I said so before in this thread, but C&C are always appreciated! If you see something say something!:D

:wave:

ocmd123
07-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Looking good! You may already have this planned, but I would suggest using some other darker colors (indigo, tuscan, dark green....) along with the black on the spots and head, and then finish up with a layer of black. It will make a much richer black.

kp84
07-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Ihave to agree the texture is looking really lovely!! Can't wait to see how this progress's :)

objectivistartist
07-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Leaves are great, and the bug is coming to life.... wonderful...:thumbsup:

Fiskaa
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Elaine - Thank you, I do plan on using the dark 3 in addition to black.

Katie/Rob - Thank you!!:)

thermanj
07-14-2008, 06:53 PM
This is coming along nicely. Thanks for posting the colors you are using.
Anxious to see the next installment.

Therman

Lady Carol
07-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah! :clap: progressing nicely.

Flame Lily
07-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Ohhh, something tells me this is going to be GOOD :thumbsup: Very nice range of values and an interesting subject - I wish for you much patience and perseverance because it looks to be a challenging reference -- can't wait to see it finished!

Fiskaa
07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Image uploader having issues so update attached.

Did some more leaf work, and got going on the stem!

The colors used for the stem are:
Hot pink
Yellow Chartruese
Chartreuse
Apple Green
Olive Green
Dark Green
Orange
Tuscan Red

The stem at first feels kind of green or warm I guess compared to the leaves...or they are cool compared to the stem, but instead of fussing with it now I think I want to let the piece develop more, and see if it isn't just me.

I was/am struggling with the shaded area between the middle and right leaf...It seems to be shaping up, am I going in the right direction? I used olive green, tuscan red, chartruese, light green....pretty much all the same colors that are on the leaf tops.:confused:

C&C appreciated.

Therman - Thanks alot! Thanks for watching!:wave:

Lady Carol - Thank you thank you:D

Flame Lily - I sure hope you are right. I'm scared of the yellow purple area, it's going to be dizzying I think. I will be patient though!;)

:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2008/142122-Ladybug5.jpg

ocmd123
07-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Love the depth you're getting with those folded down green petals!

TessDB
07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Doing great, Chris!

You're right, the stem is a bit warmer than the leaf/petal thingies (I'm sure they have a proper name that totally escapes me at the moment... :rolleyes: ). And I'm betting you'll figure out if that needs to be dealt with or not. Personally? I'm thinking the cool greens of the leaf/petal thingies will be a nice contrast to the warmth of the yellows and purples that'll be happening soon. :)

You are *definitely* on the right track. :thumbsup:

Rosemary

GoldenArt
07-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Chris, First I want to comment on how beautiful this is going to be. Secondly this is very educational. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation and the progress updates. I will be in the back taking notes. Rick

virgo68
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Chris, coming along nicely but I too, think the stem is a little warm compared to the leaf, but maybe you can knock that back a bit once you have got further into the drawing? Sometimes once there is more colour around it, it confuses the eye and what appeared wrong gets "toned down" a little. Does that make any sense???? Anyway, what I am trying to say is I'd wait until a bit further along before making any decisions - you can always go back to tweak it a little later. Enjoying this one, getting settled for the next update.....!

Fiskaa
07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Update:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2008/142122-Ladybug6.jpg

Not much to show today, I only worked for about an hour on the right leaf. I started to fuss with the right side of it a little too much, felt a tinge of annoyance and put the pencils down. Not the right mindset for painting today.

Elaine - Thanks for saying so! I seem to be getting a little lucky with some color choices. I'm at very basic level when it comes to color theory.

Rosemary - Thanks! I will leave it until later and make that choice then...I hope you're right about the contrast, that'd be a nice little lesson neatly learned.

Rick - Much appreciated. The learning is going both ways - I assure you!:thumbsup: Grab a cookie!

Virgo - Thanks! I do think the stem could be cooled or the leaves warmed. Not too sure which colors I would use yet...I agree that once there are more colors the eye will change the way it sees the piece, thats exactly why I'm just going to wait.

I'm treating this piece like the scenic route....it can be hard to hold back at times, but this is one battle that I can choose easily.:cool:

See you soon!:wave:

objectivistartist
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
this is indeed coming along VERY well.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fiskaa
07-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks!:wave:

I don't think I'll be able to work on it tonight:crying:. I have company, I think I need a little break anyway.:cat:

Fiskaa
07-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Update:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2008/142122-Ladybug7.jpg

Making progress. The newly painted leaves are finished less than the original 3. Moving around the drawing a bit more now it seems.

I guess the reason is when I get a portion to a certain point I feel like I should work on other parts and get a fresh look later, as opposed to overworking an area...which I seem to have a tendency to do.

The far right leaf is a little funky, it's alot fatter horizontally than the ref, and it's bugging me a little bit. If I do a bg then maybe I'll try to fix it..

Yup still don't if I'm doing a background...:rolleyes:

Chris

virgo68
07-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Loving it Chris, those leaves are starting to really jump out now, keep going......! Jackie

ams
07-20-2008, 08:23 AM
I haven't commented on this before but I love the subject and how you are rendering it. It's going to be a winner when you're done.

Just a comment on the background question. You could go with with the grass done lightly with low contrast to make it recede (no real lights and no real darks). I agree with Eileen that the sooner you decide and start putting it in, the better.

Anne

TessDB
07-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Still here in the cheering section! :wave:

It's looking really good, Chris. Isn't it great the way a small break can help? :D

Rosemary

Lady Carol
07-20-2008, 03:34 PM
I am in the back row :clap: See, that is me jumping up and down. I am vertically challenged but not as vertically challenged as some other regulars in here :lol: :evil: and a :wink2: to you know who.

This is fabulous. It is really coming along nicely.

Fiskaa
07-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks Jacky!:)

Anne - Thank you! What sort of greens were you thinking? I've almost predecided that if I'm going with a bg it will be tannish. I am leaning towards doing a bg....just cautious at this point.

Rosemary - The break really did help! I was much more focused last session.;)

Carol - Thanks! Don't worry about your height, I think I saw an oompa loompa running around here somewhere!:D

MYpencil
07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
The leaves so far are amazing! I'll be with lady carol in the back row watching. Maybe I should bring some chairs for us to stand on :)

Fiskaa
08-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks! Hopefully I'll find some time soon to make some progress on this.

Fiskaa
08-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Update!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2008/142122-Ladybug8.jpg

For the most part I finished up the leaves, some work here and there still needs to be done.

Decided on using a sorta slate colored bg. The colors I'm using are slate grey and powdered blue. Hopefully I can pull it off.

ocmd123
08-03-2008, 10:32 PM
The leaves look great! I like the texture and shading you've got going in the b/g. It's a nice, rich gray.

Lady Carol
08-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Of course you can pull it off. It looks good.

TessDB
08-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Good choice on the background, Chris! The leaves look great, too!

Soooo... are you gonna tackle those yellows soon? hint hint?

Rosemary

Fiskaa
08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Elaine - Thank you :). I think the background is the reason I've been really putting off working on this. I'm happy I waited, I didn't want to make a hasty decision.

Carol - Thank you for your confidence - I just get a little nervous with this kind of stuff - If you go too far in the wrong direction, sometimes it's hard to reverse. So far so good though.:wink2:

I know it's only paper, but all that time!

Rosemary - Thanks!I am getting tired of all this green....I was planning on working through the green and getting there later. We'll see where my mood takes me in the next sessions(ok...I'm still afraid).

I do however plan on getting a good portion of the bg done before working on the lighter yellows...learned that mistake from the Tomato. Pencil crumbs are quite a nuisance in hot weather.:mad:

Fiskaa
08-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Update:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2008/142122-Ladybug9.jpg

Not much to show....just hammering away at the bg. Recovered from a couple near disasters...remind me not to push the limits and to just do a bg next time...

Also you'll notice I have my website setup now...kinda. The url is in my sig. It's just an art log right now I plan to expand it into a full site over time.:thumbsup:

ocmd123
08-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Really liking that gray. Nice and rich. It makes the green really glow!

Lady Carol
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM
AWESOME :clap: :clap: and it deserves another :clap:

Fiskaa
08-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks Elaine and Carol!:wave:

Fiskaa
08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Yay, an update!:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/142122-Ladybug10.jpg

For the newly started area, the palette is:

Dark Green, Olive Green, Kelly Green, Spring Green, Chartruese, Light Green, Sky Light Blue, Tuscan Red.

Very similar to the other leaves. Just different quantities.

C&C always appreciated.

bejause
08-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Thank you for sharing your WIP, this is looking great!

Lady Carol
08-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Still awesome in my view. The background is the perfect foil for the dandelion and the ladybird beetle.

Fiskaa
08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Pamela & Carol - Thanks!:wave:

fawnridge-art
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Chris, Finally popped in here. This is coming along great. I read all the progressions and think the bg is a good choice. Waiting for the yellows.

HarvestMoon
08-18-2008, 06:54 PM
the leaves are fantastic....now I need to go back and read....will be gorgeous!

HarvestMoon
08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
did I miss- I see the colors listed...sounds like you are using Prismacolors - is that correct? This is very nice and very inspirational...

I can't wait until the kids are back in school and hopefully I can do some CP work!!!

Fiskaa
08-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Kathy - Thanks for popping in! I'm starting to get the yellow guilt!:angel: Rosemary was so subtley hinting at the yellows too. I promise to get to them sooner or later.:D

Linda - Thanks alot! Yes I am using Prismacolor, hopefully you'll be back to painting sooner than you think!

TessDB
08-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Rosemary was so subtley hinting at the yellows too. I promise to get to them sooner or later.:D

Might want to do it sooner, Chris! You're starting to run out of other things to work on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rosemary

Fiskaa
08-19-2008, 09:05 AM
:eek::lol:

Fiskaa
08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2008/142122-Ladybug11.jpg

Creeping along...

steph G
08-21-2008, 03:49 AM
WoW!!!!!! This is the first time I have looked at this and I am so glad i did! That dandelion bud is so real looking, it looks just like i could pick it!!!! I am definately coming back to see the lovely yellows appear! :)

ocmd123
08-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Creeping along...

Pun intended? :D:p

Fiskaa
08-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Steph - Thanks I really appreciate it! :wave:

Elaine - Yes pun definitley intended.:lol:

I think I might call this piece "Small Burden"

ocmd123
08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I think I might call this piece "Small Burden"

I like that. I love naming pieces! There are always so many possibilities! I'd been thinking of 'Nearing the Summit' for this one.

ourcassidy!
08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
This is a real nice piece! Thanks for posting a WIP. I have learned so much from those who are so kind to do that!

I as well really like the background.

I love what you did with the tips of the green pieces there. I don't think that they are leaves are they? Can't remember what they are called though. :)

Pam

Fiskaa
08-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Elaine - I lke that name too!

Pam - Thank you! Between this one and another WIP i did, I learned alot as well. Upon finally looking it up on google, it looks like the green leaf-like parts of a flower are called sepals.

klricca
08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I love the colors of the leaves. Can't wait to see the flower petals. Great job!

TessDB
08-22-2008, 07:59 AM
:eek: I see some yellows! :lol:

This is going to be fab when you're done, Chris. :thumbsup: Still in love with cp?
Rosemary

GoldenArt
08-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Chris this is wonderful work. I too am glad to see you doing this as a wip. It helps us all to see how others do it, especially when you do it so well. I like everything about this. Rick

Fiskaa
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
klricca - Thank you! Yes, the flower part is in high demand! It's next after I finish the green parts. The bug will be last.

Rosemary - Thanks! I'm definitely still loving colored pencil. Before I got back into art again, I forgot what a incredible stress relief it could be. Colored pencil is even more so....I'm hooked!

Rick - That's really nice to say, I appreciate it. Thanks!:wave:

Hoping I have some time on saturday to work on this, if not sunday.

Fiskaa
08-23-2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2008/142122-Ladybug12.jpg

Had some time today to get through nearly all the green! There is still some touch up to do and minor tweaking, but essentially it's there.

Anybody have an issue with the lower leaves? Does the upper green part dominate too much now? I'm thinking I have to bring out some more shadow onto the lower leaves near the base...

Next stop, Yellowville.:D

ocmd123
08-23-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't think I'd do anything else with the lower leaves just now. There isn't much of a shadow there on the ref. You work much like I do.....finish one element/section and then move on. But sometimes (hard as it sometimes is) you have to call something done for now and give yourself permission to move on to the next element. Seeing more of the pieces come together will help you to decide if you want to revisit some areas to do a bit more work there.

You may have known this, but I didn't. Yellowville is a movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0431477/). :)

Andi Rebirth
08-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Really lovely and the leaves show great depth of color. Great work, looking forward to more...Andi

TessDB
08-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Anybody have an issue with the lower leaves? Does the upper green part dominate too much now?

I don't think so... not at this point, anyway... Get your yellows in, finish up the ladybug ('cause the reds are gonna change what you're seeing there), and then look at it. My feeling at this point is that those greens are just about right to really snag the viewer's attention and get us looking at your focal point. Which is the hopefully-worked-on-soon ladybug, right? :D :lol:

Rosemary

Fiskaa
08-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Elaine - Thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'll do just move on, make the decision later. Never heard of that movie...judging from the amount of information on the imdb page, not many other people have either!:lol:

Andi - Thanks alot!:wave:

Rosemary - In this case the only way to ladybug lane is a hopefully short ride through yellowville. But many know that the roads in yellowville can get confusing!:eek:

TessDB
08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
But many know that the roads in yellowville can get confusing!:eek:

:lol: Especially when they lead to the outskirts of orangetown! :lol:

waiting for that update!
Rosemary

ocmd123
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
:lol: Especially when they lead to the outskirts of orangetown! :lol:

Is this leading to a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow??

objectivistartist
08-25-2008, 11:46 PM
there's a rainbow in this?? :eek:

Fiskaa
08-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Well technically, I guess ROY G BIV is being represented in this piece so far....:D

No pot of gold in sight though:crying:

Lady Carol
08-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Gee Chris, you are slower than molasses in the fridge. Get on with it man. I still like what you have done so far, but please put me out of my misery. Remember it is only colour

Fiskaa
08-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey hey, easy now Carol.:cat: I can appreciate the eagerness, I've invited everyone to take a stake in the thread and I promise to deliver.

However, I'm not stalling work for fear of some color, slow progress is because sometimes life gets in the way(especially letting go of bachelorhood in a month). Trust me I'd love to draw all day everyday forever, unfortunately for me it isn't possible....maybe when I retire - which is a long way off.

Thanks for being so animated about it though!

ocmd123
08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
(especially letting go of bachelorhood in a month).

Congratulations! :clap:

d-images
08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow!this is just awesome.I'll been following this keenly.Great job.

scottsart
08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Trust me I'd love to draw all day everyday forever, unfortunately for me it isn't possible....maybe when I retire - which is a long way off.

Chris, trust me, I am right there with you!!! I wish I could quit my job right now and just draw or paint every day for the rest of my life. Working on it very slowly unfortunately... and retirement is about 20 years away for me still

Oh and congrats and good luck with the wedding!

Great job so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest!

Fiskaa
08-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Elaine - Thanks!:cool:

d-images - Thank you, stay tuned!:wave:

Scott - Thanks! I'm not sure what the normal retirement age is but I too probably have at least 30 years...I'm 30 now.

Time to start playing lotto?!:D

Lady Carol
08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
(especially letting go of bachelorhood in a month!
How cool is that? Congrats, had no idea. Just thought you were a slacker :wink2:

TessDB
08-28-2008, 07:38 AM
especially letting go of bachelorhood in a month

Oh congrats! And brave brave man! You'll have to share wedding pics with us in the OTL when the deed is done! :D

Still hoping for an update before the honeymoon, though. :p

Rosemary

Fiskaa
08-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Carol & Rosemary - Thanks! There will definitely be an update before the honeymoon! I actually hope to have it finished before then (October 10th is the date).

Fiskaa
09-02-2008, 11:05 PM
The learning is burning :).

Update:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2008/142122-Ladybug113.jpg

C&C welcome. Not much to say, except this is a few hours or more worth and it's a struggle - need to find that stride. The ugly upper purple area is scheduled for surgery.

Colors used are:
White
Canary Yellow
Yellow Ochre
Limpeel
Green Ochre
Black Grape
Sienna Bown
Chestnut Red(i think)

ChrissyMarie
09-03-2008, 05:07 AM
It is a lovely piece of work and great to see it developing :) I wish I could be so meticulous, my works in progress are just so untidy!

ocmd123
09-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Chuggin' along and lookin' good. That purple area should respond nicely to surgery. Probably just out-patient.

scottsart
09-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Chris,

Looking great so far! Can't wait to see more.

And I am 33, and would say I probably have 30 years as well. Although who knows, I very well may end up working til I am dead :lol:

CRYork
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Can you believe I just looked at this for the first time? I don't know how I missed it. I read it from end to the beginning! This is a great WIP, and nice that you are sharing the colors you have used. You are doing a fantastic job on this! It looks wonderful!

Char

Fiskaa
09-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Chrissy - Thanks!:wave:

Elaine - I'm cautiously optimistic!

Scott - Thank you, .....30 years....:crying:, there's always cp though!:)

Char - Thanks for the comments and for popping in, there's always room for more!:cool:

TessDB
09-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Chris! Dude! (can you tell I've been hanging with my kiddo too much lately? :lol: ) This is looking awesome!

Right. Gonna talk like a grownup now. :D The area you've scheduled for surgery? before you attack it with an eraser or anything, do some test swatches with what you have there already, and maybe adding in some mineral orange & yellow ochre. You may need to back the black grape off just a bit, but I bet you've hit an "ugly" stage for that area. So don't panic (resisting the urge to prove I'm a total geek by making obscure "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" references... :rolleyes: ). :)

This is looking really radiant and lovely and you'll figure this out. Don't make us wait too long for an update!

Rosemary

FaeLynn
09-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow, this is coming along beautifully!

Fiskaa
09-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Rosemary - Thanks! that area really is in an ugly stage, but by now I've learned to take it a little easier and not panic so much. Until I start loosing tooth :eek:

I do still have a tendency to watch myself make horrible decisions and not be able to stop - thus the overloading of black grape (of all colors) onto the area. I want to try and get some work done between now and tomorrow night so cross the fingers...

Faelynn - Thank you, everyone's comments help keep me going!

:wave:

TessDB
09-04-2008, 07:07 AM
I do still have a tendency to watch myself make horrible decisions and not be able to stop - thus the overloading of black grape (of all colors) onto the area.

:lol: Yah! boy do I know that... something in my brain thinks *more* of the wrong color/pencil will miraculously make it right! :D

You'll get it.
Rosemary

cindyv4
09-04-2008, 08:38 AM
This has been a fun and very learning experience to follow along. Il ove the depth. I struggle with that, and your slow progress show what can be accomplished with patience and knowledge.
Thank you,
cindyv

Fiskaa
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Cindy - Much appreciated! I'm happy with it so far, it's nice to think someone else may benefit from it.

Sorry no update yet, it is HUMID here, no A/C either, that can only mean frustration at this point.

Don't worry folks I'm eager to get this done too so expect something soon...... ish.:evil:

ocmd123
09-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Waiting.....patiently......kinda, sorta. :D I'm thinking that if we don't see the finished product before the walk down the aisle, we might be waitin' awhile! :)

kennychaffin
09-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Looking great. I'll have to go back and read this whole thread. Lots to learn here and I may try a cp piece sometime. I do love the colors and composition here, this might even be nice in graphite. :eek:

FaeLynn
09-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Just looking for an update :-) I meant to say that I like the background. It's really going to make that ladybug POP when you get her done. It will also bring out the yellows in the flower. You chose the right background color for that!! Nice.

Fiskaa
09-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Elaine - Yes, if this isn't done before the ole walk, I'll be going dark till the end of October.....:angel:

I'm not going to comment:)

Kenny - Thank you - sounds like you're visiting from the D&S forum.:wave: Give CP a shot you might be surprised.

Fae - Thanks! - I hope there is a pop :)

Here's an update for ya:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2008/142122-Ladybug14.jpg

TessDB
09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Chris, it's really looking fab...

From here, it looks like you lifted some of the pigment from your problem area... got a plan for what comes next there?

Waiting to see the ladybug come together a bit more... ;)

Rosemary

Fiskaa
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks alot Rosemary. I feel like it's starting to come along better in the yellow area for me.

The problem area I laid down a little sandbar brown, and plan to mix in a lighter tint of some purplish color.

The ladybug is the cherry on top of this sundae, so you're just gonna have to wait till I finish putting the dandelion dandy on there!:D

Lady Carol
09-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Hey this is coming along wonderfully.

JayD
09-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Holy cow! This is sweet!

Fiskaa
09-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Carol and Jay - Very much appreciated!:)

Fiskaa
09-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Working it out..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2008/142122-Ladybug15.jpg

little closer this time

ocmd123
09-12-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm really like the purples in there to shade the yellow. Works really well when done well, which you seem to be doing. What purple/s are you using? Kinda looks black cherryish?

DrawCrazy
09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
stunning!

Fiskaa
09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Thank you Elaine, and DC.:wave:

Elaine - close, I'm using Dark Grape in the newer area, I also mixed in some Mulberry (I think) and mahogany red - which lean to the warmer side like black cherry does - if I'm remembering correctly. I also have some indigo blue going on in the darker areas.

scottsart
09-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Chris this is looking great, can't wait to see the finish :D

TessDB
10-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Ahem... As promised/threatened... :p

Chris? I know you're out there! Can't hide from the Knotess, you know. ;)
Are you still doing ok on this? Or has time gotten too tight on you?

Hope to see an update in the near future! :wave:
Rosemary

scottsart
10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Rosemary, My guess he is either getting married, got married and is on vacation, or his new wife has tied him up in a corner some where lol - just teasing.

I am anxiously awaiting an update as well. Can't wait to see the final product on this! :D

KathyA
10-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh Chris--come out come out wherever you are.

This is just screaming for a finish! What an awesome start.

Fiskaa
10-08-2008, 07:34 PM
:lol:

You guys are too much :D Not married yet - Friday! Sorry to say there won't be an update until :eek: after the honeymoon.

Things just got a little crazy these past few weeks - I haven't been able to do much but work and prepare for the wedding.

After I come back I'm going to give you all a finish I promise.

Thanks everyone!

Aloha!:evil:

ocmd123
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Best wishes, and.......have fun!

scottsart
10-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Chris,

I figured you might be a little preoccupied with details :)

Best of Luck!!! have a great time at the wedding and on the honeymoon

Congratulations to you both!

objectivistartist
10-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Y'all folks who spend so much time/money on weddings - crazy... just get to a Judge, say "I do", "I do", "Ye done" - and get on with loving and life... saves a bundle, too, and ye can get to the art faster :evil::lol::lol::rolleyes:

KathyA
10-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Chris-best of luck and congratulations!

TessDB
10-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Best wishes, Chris!

I'll try not to be too impatient... :)
Rosemary

dotb
10-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Best Wishes, Chris

waiting with baited breath to see the finished piece. it's outstanding so far, so know it will just be spectacular!
dotb in mo

Andi Rebirth
10-26-2008, 03:53 AM
this is really great, love the stem, the color graduation is excellent. Can't wait to see the lucky lady bug come to life. Andi

Jennyart
10-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Love this! All the colors go perfectly together.

Fiskaa
11-09-2008, 11:23 PM
First - thank you everyone for your well wishes. We had a spectacular time for the wedding and honeymoon both - it was a serious undertaking and well worth it on every level. Just like a great piece of art the final product was greater than the sum of the details.

Second - an update. I originally was going to finish the whole thing before I posted, but I changed my mind - you'll have to suffer with me :evil: enjoy!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2008/142122-Ladybug16.jpg

kennychaffin
11-10-2008, 05:49 AM
Glad to see this going again!

ocmd123
11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Welcome back to the real world! The darks you have going in the yellow are wonderful!

Celtic-Spirit
11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
this is looking amazing, very realistic :clap: can't wait to see the finished piece :D

Lady Carol
11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
This really is looking fabulous.

Congratulations on your marriage...now back to work :D :lol:

Fiskaa
11-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Thank you Kenny, Elaine, Andreia and Carol! It feels good to get that pencil flowing again!

Elen
11-11-2008, 08:12 AM
I agree with Elaine,those darks are delicious ! :thumbsup:

TessDB
11-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Excellent, Chris! Really really fab.
And you're almost to the finish line. Just a bit more and you're done!

Good to hear the wedding and honeymoon were a delight.
Rosemary

Fiskaa
11-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Elen and Rosemary - thank you!

CRYork
11-12-2008, 09:49 AM
You've had enough time off....back to work on this! Looking great....can't wait to see it finished!

Char

Fiskaa
11-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Thank you Char, I know when I finally got back to this I was afraid I wouldn't remember the colors I was using!

Hopefully I 'll be able to get some more done this weekend this weekend.

FaeLynn
11-13-2008, 05:32 AM
I'm still watching and it's still looking great!

wet
11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
This is beautiful, even not finished. :D Wanda

webcrayon
11-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks Chris,
I have read through the tread twice! there is a lot on information for a beginner. GREAT WORK
Dennis

Fiskaa
11-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Thank you Fae Wet and Dennis!

Happy to hear that this thread helped you out Dennis!:wave:

Fiskaa
11-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I know some of you might suspect that I plan to keep this thread going forever - probably not true.;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2008/142122-Ladybug17.jpg

Closer look for fun. I'm not intentionally going slow, it's just the upper purple yellow area is pretty tough to wrap my brain around in terms of the color and shapes. Happy to report that I'm getting there. This is about another 2 hours of work, wish I had more time - soon hopefully.

The colors being used up top are:
Canary Yellow
Goldenrod
Black Grape
Black Cherry
Mahogany Red
Marine Green
White

TessDB
11-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Ack! Can't believe I missed an update! :eek:

It may feel like you're going at a snail's pace, Chris, but what you're creating is beautiful. Some pieces come together in a flash-- others creep along, slowly building, and this is one of those.

Looking forward to your next update!
Rosemary

Fiskaa
11-24-2008, 12:41 AM
And here you have the next update :p

Thanks Rosemary!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/142122-Ladybug18.jpg

Celtic-Spirit
11-24-2008, 09:16 AM
oh, this is beautiful! love it it's really realistic :clap:

PainterMike
11-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow, This is so cool!
Very well drawn....
Mike

Fiskaa
11-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Andreia and Mike - Thank you very much!

Another little bit...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2008/142122-Ladybug19.jpg

scottsart
12-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Hey Chris, I have been gone for a while so I was looking for this to see where it was. Looks like you have made great progress. I can't wait to see it finished. This looks fantastic!!

Lady Carol
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM
soooooooooooo close :lol:

Hey, you signed it. Is it finished?

It does look good even though you have kept us hanging for months now :wink2:

FaeLynn
12-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Chris you're killin me here I tell ya. C'mon and finish this already, it's like someone put a great huge mushroom and pepperoni pizza in front of me and it's like a quarter inch out of my reach. And I haven't eaten in like 3 days. Oh yeah and it's like 100 outside and there's also an ice cold Dr. Pepper right next to it. :-) Do ya feel me?

Candle
12-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Great progress so far. Keep it coming!

Fiskaa
12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Scott - Thanks and welcome back!

Carol & Fae - Grrrr I know - now I feel really guilty!! I really want to finish, and I will very very soon - sorry to leave you all hanging. In the future I'll probably WIP on my site and post final results here - there's always a little voice nagging in the corner of my mind when I don't post progress.

WIPers guilt I guess you'd call it.

Candle - Thanks!

Jennyart
12-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Timewise, where are you at now? I've discovered some of the very best pieces are due to the patience of the artist. Patience...ugh...something I'm learning...

It's very obvious you have been deliberate in all of your actions, and the result is beautiful. When I look at it, I can feel the sun on my face, as if I'm sitting there watching this ladybug slowly crawl up the leaf. It feels sunny and breezy. I'd really like to be there RIGHT NOW. (Quite done with winter, thanks.) Congrats on this lovely piece.

objectivistartist
12-12-2008, 06:55 PM
quite done with winter?? :lol: - it has yet to begin....:eek::lol::lol::lol:
[all ye seeing is just the prelude - the 'introductory chords' :lol::lol::rolleyes:]

kennychaffin
12-12-2008, 07:00 PM
quite done with winter?? :lol: - it has yet to begin....:eek::lol::lol::lol:
[all ye seeing is just the prelude - the 'introductory chords' :lol::lol::rolleyes:]

Yeah, give me a break, do you even have winter in FL! :p

Fiskaa
12-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Timewise, where are you at now? I've discovered some of the very best pieces are due to the patience of the artist. Patience...ugh...something I'm learning...

It tough to really judge but I'd say maybe 30 hours...give or take.

FaeLynn
12-13-2008, 12:16 AM
lol awww come on I was just kidding! Take your time, I am enjoying the results!! You're doing great.

Fiskaa
12-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks Fae - I can't help but feel a little guilty when I neglect a project for too long...which is why I almost banged the rest of this out - just a little more to cover the rest of the page in pencil, then some little tweaks here and there!

Thinking about calling it 'Bug on a Flower'. I like the incredible obviousness of it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2008/142122-Ladybug20.jpg

artbyDanielDyment
12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
That is amazing! :)

LisB
12-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Nice gloss on the shell.

Elisabeth

TessDB
12-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Whoo-hoo! You're done!

hmm? what? not quite yet? Oy! yer killin' me!
Has anyone warned you about fussing and fiddling and tweaking and adjusting etc. a piece past the point of good sense? :D

Looking forward to the big finish!
Rosemary

Fiskaa
12-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Thank you Dan, Elisabeth and Rosemary!

Don't worry soon enough I'll have a finish for you - then maybe someday we can have a good laugh about that time it took me months to finish that ladybug piece. :angel:

KathyA
12-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Wonderful Chris!:clap: :clap:
Worth the wait and what a great journey!

Lady Carol
12-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Yeah baby :clap: Finally :clap: What a winner.

CRYork
12-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Chris, excellent work ethic on this one! I bet you are glad that it is almost finished. Don't feel guilty about taking too long on a piece. You do have another life, and a wife, and kids, and work.....and Christmas.

When are you going to start on another one?

Char

Fiskaa
12-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Carol - Thanks!

Char - Thank you very much! You are right about each of those - except for the kids - no so fast :D.

I plan on starting another piece pretty much right away.:thumbsup:

It is done....99.9999999999999999999% done. I have an appointment this weekend with some workable fixatif and the background. I've known for sometime I would need to clean up some over saturated bg areas at the end.....But it is done.:)

The title is "Ready for Take-Off!"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2008/142122-Ladybug21.jpg

kennychaffin
12-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Wonderful finish and title!

TessDB
12-18-2008, 09:34 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2008/46497-Clappy.gif

Well Done, Chris!
And good for you for declaring it's time to stop! That's one of the hardest things with cp.

This has been a *great* thread to follow.
Really looking forward to seeing the next!

Rosemary

objectivistartist
12-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Quite agree....... well done.. :thumbsup:

scottsart
12-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Chris, GREAT JOB!!! Love the way this turned out. And great title too btw

ocmd123
12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
:thumbsup: Great finish, and I love the title!

crazyboutart
12-18-2008, 01:27 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: ...Its fabulous..totally worth the wait...I like the shine on the shell....the title seems perfect for the drawing :)

Candle
12-18-2008, 05:47 PM
I too find that my favorite part is the glossiness of the shell. Thanks for sharing this; it has been a joy to follow. Great job!

Fiskaa
12-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Thank you everyone! I'm glad the title was well received. :)

AnnGarlough
12-19-2008, 01:37 AM
I am so sorry I missed this thread until now, but will be going back to read it. What a beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!