PDA

View Full Version : Coloursoft Value Chart

Herb
12-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi, All. This may well have been done a hundred times already but I thought I would post it anyway.

I've been having trouble getting my colored pencil sketches to have the same depth and realism as my graphite sketches. I finally decided a big part of the problem is that I am a poor judge of the value of a color. Graphite is easy, of course, because they very conveniently label them by value.

Anyway, I made a couple of value charts of the pencils I use most frequently. This is the best one, although it, too, is subjective. I might move a couple of colors up or down a notch, but it's close enough to help me. Maybe it will help someone else as well.

Cheers,

Herb

First the color scan (far from perfect):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2008/71766-scan0002_800.jpg

Then the grayscale version:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2008/71766-scan0002_grey_800.jpg

PaulaIA
12-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Herb, This is well done and an excellent idea to put the chart in grayscale and have them side by side for comparison and guidance. I think it would be worth my time to do the same for my pencils.
Thank You for sharing this with us.:thumbsup:
Paula

Spatterdash
12-13-2008, 02:40 AM
This graphite grisaille guy who is using Coloursofts is very grateful!

kywildcat
12-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks you for time you put in on this, Herb. It's a great idea! Like Paula, I think I'll do this for my Prismas–and my FC Polys.

Elain
12-13-2008, 03:27 PM
What a great idea doing a grey scale.
Thank you

Herb
12-13-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm glad someone else will get some help from it. It took me a couple of tries, and it could use some refinement.

I found it easiest to first just make a chart of my colors and the graphite without trying to organize them. (If I could have organized them I wouldn't have needed the chart! :D ) I then scanned these and converted them to grayscale.

Here's the part my wife found a bit odd...

I then cut out all the colors (with their identifying numbers) as individual swatches. Then it was just a process of matching each value to the corresponding graphite swatch.

After I had them all layed out as best I could judge, I colored a complete chart on a new piece of paper, scanned it, and converted it to grayscale. Those are what I posted.

There can be a lot of variation depending on how hard you press, how many times you go over the area, your scanner, and so on. But, I think it gets one close enough for government work. :D

Cheers,

Herb