GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Village Series III-St.Valaerie'"
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:

Another in this "village" series.And, probably my last for a little while.LOTS of THICK paint on this one..... I fiddled around with it for awhile at first...then,...said "screw it",lol!,..and polished off the second half in an hour.I had run out of patience...I think that it's.......ok.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
- Your comments?

jerryW
08-05-2002, 10:24 PM
this has lots of the real thing
river from blue through green to ochre
sky yellow to blue
pink arcing through the middle.
nice.

YLCIA
08-05-2002, 10:43 PM
Beautiful! Love the water.

Julia

Naris
08-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Very warm appealing scene. Love the strong diagonal. Perhaps some sign of life (other than plant) may have added a bit of interest. Even a discarded bicycle or a stray dog...

mattlart
08-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Jerry- Yes,..more than anything; a work of color and texture.

Julia- It's soo easy to overwork the water; this time,...I resisted the urge, for a change ;)

Narista- Interesting suggestion.....i normally find myself mentally classifying a painting into categories.ie: a "landscape',..a "figurative piece', "still life",...etc. Combining several elements might be useful. Thank you.

deevaa
08-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Thats just too pretty!

Art Guy
08-06-2002, 05:15 PM
This is a beautiful example of mastery of color and texture. The water shows a great variety of color and contrast to the texture of the buildings and trees. The light seems to vibrate down the street and through the whole painting! Great work!

marilyn h
08-06-2002, 10:29 PM
I love your color palette. I have noticed that you use orange as your highlighting, colbalt blue for your sky and geranium lake? I love this for it's airy feeling. Contrast is gorgeous!

Wingnut
08-06-2002, 11:09 PM
Whoa! :eek: Where did you come from?

Could you teach me how to paint? :D Pleeeease?

I love this. I wish I could DO this.

*sigh*

Noble
08-07-2002, 01:09 AM
The composition, mood and color harmony of this painting are very nice.

I see a depth ambiguity that detracts from this having an even better impact on the viewer...

The far house seems to pop in front of the near house and the distant trees, I think the shadow side of the near house needs to be deepened just a tad so it relates to the darker foreground darks.

The creek doesn't recede quite enough towards the far house.

To get the creek to go back, I think a slight glint on the water where the light is coming through the buildings would anchor it to that mid ground and allow the light to flow into that area, right now it's (darker) value suggests its farther forward in the shadow of the foreground and not in the mid distance light. I'm assuming the sunlight is streaming from the right between the buildings toward the left...

Due to the nature of this image I think a few touches are still needed to really finish it. You may find better solutions than I have suggested, but I figured I'd at least offer something up. In any event, it shouldn't take too much to settle everything in its proper place, then you'll have a real winner!

Aselka
08-07-2002, 02:11 AM
Very beautiful. I agree with previous comments about the houses. I think that front house need more definition.
water is magnificent.

Beautiful composition.

Aselka

Fagan
08-07-2002, 06:55 AM
Noble has some good suggestions. I LOVE this painting! I love the left side more than the right...*LOL* I usually paint from left to right to begin and then like a ping pong ball to finish. It looks like as if you painted the left side one day...then the right because the "feel" is different for both sides.....then again...

Excellent color choices and I hope you do more of the "village" series.....maybe a garden scene? deep shadows and a lilac bush or rose bush with a bench highlighted. something like that...

mattlart
08-07-2002, 11:34 AM
Top O'Th Mornin' to everyone...............:)

Art Guy- Thanks for your comments

Deeva- You are right,.it may just be TOO pretty(I dunno,..but it's almost too "sugary sweet " for me.. I'm going to see about making it just a little less "pretty".......thanks ;)

Marilyn- No geranium lake on my palette-permanent rose..

Wingnut- Since you live here in Denver,lol....yep,..I can probably give you some pointers:)

Noble,Aselka,Fagan- All good suggestions. Technically, I would agree on several counts...For the sake of accuracy, the near house SHOULD have more detail, contrast,..etc.
Because I've decided to make the far,sunlit smaller house the focal point of the painting,I felt that I need to keep the larger,closer house simpler,...with less contrast. Didn,t want to mire this painting down in detail...
I am going to put some lighter reflections in the stream...

Fagan,lol!......you're pretty intuitive,....yes,...I spent the morning with an artist friend who paints very loosely-bordering on abstract,.......;came home,..and quickly painted the left side, water,..and foreground :)))).......

Noble
08-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by mattlart
[B][For the sake of accuracy, the near house SHOULD have more detail, contrast,..etc.
Because I've decided to make the far,sunlit smaller house the focal point of the painting,I felt that I need to keep the larger,closer house simpler,...with less contrast. Didn,t want to mire this painting down in detail...
[ /B]
Well, my idea was the shadow side needed to be just a little darker which wouldn't pop it out, as much as just bring it into proper position, and serve to pop out your center of interest more too. I'm definately not advocating more detail, the LOD there is just right. A simple glaze to kick the value down a notch might be all that's needed there. Of course, there maybe better ways to handle it too, or not at all. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't suggesting more detail that's all ;)

mattlart
08-07-2002, 01:32 PM
NOBLE...........:)

Thank you for clarifying....I do believe I've got it, old chap!(smile)

-And now that I see it,..I agree,and I'm going to do it; a glaze of violet on the shadow side WOULD be a simple way of both showing the source of sunlight,.AND ENHANCING the focal point.
Gracias Mucho...............
By the way,...it was late when I viewed your latest posting- NICELY atmospheric,..and contemplative. Technically,..if I were to add or change anything on your study,.......I might throw in some loose strokes of varying texture and value in the area above the table,and on up to the horizontal line near the head. I do really like your painting.......with those additions........or not;) Cheers,-Scott

harv
08-07-2002, 07:58 PM
It is well painted but much too pretty - bordering on the wrong side of 'chocolate box'.
Your painting of the two figures playing music is far superior to this painting - your looser more expressive handling of the paint is the way forward for me.
:)

Paintonbrush
08-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Just had to pop in and say "simply marvelous" Mr Matt
love the cliff dropping to the water. do you use both knife and brush?
well done