PDA

View Full Version : blue bike

Chia
12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-14-2008/137335_bike3_copy.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: blue bike
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: ~9x6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My first attempt at oils (I usually paint with acrylics). First thing I lea<br>ed - don't put thick paint on the first layer!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything regarding technique - in layman's terms please!

cbcarnell
12-15-2008, 01:53 AM
Yes, with oils the 'rule' is fat over lean when it comes to applying the paint. You did an amazing job capturing the rustiness of the bike, as well as the faded paint. The background isn't working completely for me - I think the background area between the seat and the body of the bike is competing for attention and taking a little bit away from the bike itself IMHO.

ejtupi
12-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Wonderful perspective and complexity, along with great color combo. I agree with cbcarnell: the background might be fighting the object of greatest interest for the viewer's attention...it might be advantageous to push the background into the background a bit more. Great visual appeal on this picture.

Ronni
12-15-2008, 03:44 AM
I love your art generally, there's always something beyond and challenging in it...here, as far for me, the interest is in the funny shape of the seat, that looks as a rider to the opposite direction, wearing a funny big hat (the seat) with thin hands and one brown curved leg...I personally feel very good with the background.

Corby
12-15-2008, 04:40 AM
I agree totally with what Ronnie has said. You have taken a commonplace ordinary subject and raised it to a truly 'gutsy' (compliment) level. This is not a subject I would ordinarily give hardly a glance to. However if I were 'monied' I would definitely buy this and hang it. Marvelous! About the background: I feel that if it were to be too placid it would actually detract from the energy of the bike. I am trying to remember the name of that movie from quite some years back about the little robot..the backwards view of this that Ronnie mentions does remind me of that little 'guy'.

tgsloth
12-15-2008, 09:52 AM
I like it a lot. Two thoughts:
There's some hesitancy about the background in other posts. Perhaps if the two green forms right at the top were knocked back, you'ld get greater attention on the seat.
The canvas is really showing its dot pattern. This is pleasing to many people. It usually bugs me so if you don't like it, consider slathering the paint thickly in some areas (after your thin underpainting) or paint on panel: smooooooth.

gaensanger
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I love this one. The contrast from the white to the dark background is so good! And what an idea for a painting! Great stuff!

Chia
12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi All, Thanks so much for the encouraging comments! I was a bit concerned about the background calling out for attention & actually did make an attempt to blend it back a bit before I took the pic. Bob, I admit to being very tentative around backgrounds - usually they're far too detailed - so this is a big step for me. I appreciate your comment about the canvas texture & will bear it in mind for future attempts. On this one it doesn't really bother me too much. Ronni, I love your vision of a big-hatted rider!