PDA

View Full Version : Bickering Clowns

johnstires
12-14-2008, 02:08 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-14-2008/164653_bickering-clowns.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-14-2008/164653_bickering-clowns-2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bickering Clowns
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a completed piece, I'd love to hear any and all comments.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm really not educated in art, and only have knowledge of basic technique. Most of it is just common sense for me. If there is anything that I am doing incorrectly technique wise, I'd love to hear it (although not sure can be seen from a pic)<br><br>Also, I'm wondering if this work is something you could see hanging in a gallery for sale. I know there is alot that goes into getting a body of work up for sale, but still I'm curious of people's thoughs.

Billycourty
12-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Very nice!

Love the clean brush strokes of the water, the compostion and the shadows.

Would hang it on my wall.

Jaymee

konsu
12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
hello,

i am not much educated in art either. i do not like the composition. right now the right side "outweighs" the left side in terms of visual interest. the background is too uniform. no visual interest there either.

i like the rendering of the fish.

konstantin

Mr Bungle
12-14-2008, 03:35 PM
a bit too stylised for me

alos do not like the bckground, I ould want to see more colours and more interest, the fish are good though

tgsloth
12-14-2008, 05:20 PM
When you're talking about "simple" "local" galleries as opposed to the joints which you have to put a tie on to enter, there are plenty of paintings to be found with similar quality to yours (as I judge it). What a lot of folks don't realize is that the bulk of original paintings you see in said galleries are done by artists working "on the side" who do not earn a living at it but who have a great time and at least pay for the art supplies. What would keep your clown painting out of almost any gallery, though, is the size. At 24x48, it would command too much wall space for its commercial appeal. So paint some small guys and talk to some small galleries; you'll probably get hung. There are also "art leagues" just about everywhere where you can collaborate with fellow addicts and get means for improvement and vehicles to show what you have painted.

As to critical comments for this piece, it's nicely colored but the fish don't look like they're in water, do they? They look like they're on top of the water rather than in it. And, the way you've done the shadow, it looks like the water is only an inch deep which is a funny view. To get the fish in the water, lose the shadow and glaze a film over the fish as you would see it. The other issue, I think, is the arc forms in the water. Water is much more random. Keep at it! Post more!

johnstires
12-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I actually input the incorrect size. This was a 12x24 piece. I want the final piece to be 24x48. I am mostly working in small format now but do want to do larger paintings as i think it will enhance some of the drama I am looking for.

When I get around to the final piece I think I will do the following:

1. Make the shadow appear farther away so there is more depth to the water. It is suppossed to be shallow, but i can see how it looks too shallow.
2. Enhance the shimmer of the water and include over the fish. I actually have a thin layer of shimmer on the left side, but it doesn't come through very well. Also I should paint it over the fish a bit (although I was a little scared to do).
3. Add a green anemone to the upper left. Not only will this balance it out but it will make it look like a japanese koi/lily composition.

Thanks again! Very helpful

dianalynn
12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
I really like the detail rather than the whole painting (if you'd leave a tiny bit more blue background on the left).

Colors are strong yet harmonious, shapes are interesting - lots of wonderful movement for my eye to follow, not over-worked, fresh feeling, joyous.

If you want to head toward greater realism you'll need to study so much, including glazing, introducing multi-colors into each value area, etc., etc.. Or you could take a long look at the Japanese print tradition - that may be your 'home' instead. Check out contemporary Japanese wood block printing too. Very exciting and does not usually involve elements such as atmospheric perspective and so on, as does western realism. You have a strong feel for color and shape and clean lines - which feels Japanese.