PDA

View Full Version : light in stone

paintersanantone
12-14-2008, 01:06 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-13-2008/161541_light_in_stone.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: light in stone
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36 x 48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was the last abstract that I did. I loved doing it but it never sold while my more representational work did sell. So I gave up on abstracts.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am open to suggestions and critiques of all types. They would be appreciated.

creativechrissy
12-14-2008, 06:53 AM
I like it. I like the colours, they are complimentary and I like the feel and the mood.

tgsloth
12-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Sometimes I feel like critiquing abstracts beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it" is a bit like flipping a coin but I'll give it a go. I don't like it and why?

You're basing it on complementary hues and yet they combine and get a bit muddy on the lower half. If they were more distinct, the painting could be stronger. The dark blue vertical form looks too much like an unresolved opening in the orange form and is positioned too close to the center. And finally, there's a lot going on in the upper left and this is not the place on the canvas to have a lot of contrast.

On the selling side, it often seems that representational art will sell when someone sees it but abstracts need to be wrapped in a reputation and it's a bit of a cart and horse issue as to how to get said reputation.

I'm about an hour north of you near Wimberley where a local girl, Maxine Price, sells a lot of abstracts but like you, she anchors them with representational art. You might enjoy seeing her style:

http://www.maxineprice.com/

She hangs in a gallery which shows some of my stuff and last week someone forked over $6000 for one of her large abstracts. Whew. I can only dream. She uses heavy impasto which you can't quite appreciate from the images.

Lets see some representational posts.

paintersanantone
12-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Bob, thank you so much for that. My gut tells me I am better off staying away from pure abstracts. I sure enjoy looking at them though. I love Wimberley but never seem to make it up there. Thanks for cluing me in on Maxine Price. I am glad somebody can do it!

paintersanantone
12-14-2008, 03:38 PM
And thank you Chrissy!

konsu
12-14-2008, 05:10 PM
hello

My gut tells me I am better off staying away from pure abstracts.

this would be unfortunate because then you might never get beyond what you are already comfortable with. :) i think that trying to build an abstraction based on a representational composition is a step forward to pure abstracts. it is very difficult to make pure abstract paintings right away.

konstantin.

paintersanantone
12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Konstantin, thank you. What you say is very true. I hope that I never become comfortable or complacent. I think I would just hang it up if that happened. All the anticipation would be gone. Thanks.

greensyster
12-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Possibly the image is not showing true colour? However, in the image the colours are dull - muddied as Bob said. Whereas the verve and vitality of the form demands brilliants in full flight ! Lovely deft strokes are visible.

konsu
12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
just wanted to add that i visited your site, you have a lot of good work there. and to me most of your representational works are closer to being abstract than the abstract work that you posted in this thread :)

konstantin

paintersanantone
12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Greensyster, it may be the image is not too good. It seems brighter in person. And Konstantine, thanks for looking at my blog. I appreciate the feedback.