PDA

View Full Version : Valeria...

frazzled
12-13-2008, 09:34 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-13-2008/126139_valeriaoiloncan2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Valeria...
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: I'll measure
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
this is Valeria.. oil on canvas. she's my second portrait painting... 5th figure painting.<br> <br>she looks like this with no makeup.. first thing in the mo<br>ing :)<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
all comments welcome

Bizkit
12-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Well James, I think youve went and did it again!!! Beautiful job with this, love the whisps of hair, background and facial expression. Must be a tough job to wake up looking like this in the morning!!!!

frazzled
12-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Well James, I think youve went and did it again!!! Beautiful job with this, love the whisps of hair, background and facial expression. Must be a tough job to wake up looking like this in the morning!!!!

thanks for the kind words..

this woman has natural beauty its true... actually the next few women I'm painting are natural stunners.

I'm not even sure how they found out about me... but when victoria's secret models start bothering you to paint them you must be doing something right.

and like I always say - if you're going to paint a pretty picture... you might as well start with a supermodel :thumbsup:

Dana Design
12-14-2008, 11:53 AM
James, very very nice! Just a few tips...

Rather than straight lines for eyebrows, get a #1 brush and do some feathering. It will soften the 'look'.
Sides of her face need some shading, deeper values to give a look of roundness. As of now, the cheeks look rather flat in the lightest areas and I'd darken the values just a bit above the eyeball to also give a look of roundness.
Does she really wake up with that red lipstick? I'd tone it down a bit and feather the lower lip where it meets the lighter skin. It would look more 'natural'.
Mix up some Naples Yellow with an opaque white (titanium) and put some nice streaks in her hair where the light hits it. Then hit that side of her forehead and the philtrum with it as well. Just a touch.
You could add a deeper value to the inside of the eye on the left as it would be shaded by the bridge of her nose.

The nose, chin and philtrum are very well done as is the neck and shoulder. Good skin tones there!

One other thing I noticed is that you've rather gotten the values on her face reversed. The lightest part of the face would be across the more prominent cheek bones and under the eyes with the darker values going down the side of the face. However! If you've chosen this lighting (I call it Joan Crawford lighting) to spread across the bottom portion of her face, then all's ok.

Aha! You've gotten the portraiture bug. You're hooked! And don't stop thinking about the light.

frazzled
12-14-2008, 12:32 PM
thanks for the feedback Dana.. everything you said makes sense..

but I've been trying to stick close to my reference material... and it goes against most of what you said. - both of us.. you and I are clearly victims of an absolutely strangely lit... hard to see reference picture of a woman who has such perfect doll like features.. that she hardly looks like a real person anyway.

but like I said - all your advise is spot on and I did redden the lips.. just a little :angel:

but for a black and whit picture I'll cut my losses.. and be thankful its over.

I have a strict *no return* policy... once I finish a painting I must live with the mistakes for the rest of my days.

I tried to paint this in one sitting.. it took 4 or 5.

so anyone else that sees propblems with the piece let me know.

Dana Design
12-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Not to worry, James, this will fly as is.

But with your talent, you can do better.

frazzled
12-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Not to worry, James, this will fly as is.

But with your talent, you can do better.

I think we can safely blame this catastrophe on the doll girl alone yes? I should probably sue her.

konsu
12-14-2008, 03:13 PM
hello,

i like it. is she russian? if so, you did a very good job rendering the features.

some of the shoulder bones and the muscles of the neck are defined incorectly i think.

konstantin.

frazzled
12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
hello,

i like it. is she russian? if so, you did a very good job rendering the features.

some of the shoulder bones and the muscles of the neck are defined incorectly i think.

konstantin.

yes she is in fact a russian gal. a very beautiful, petite, doll like russian girl.

I've never been to russia - do all the girls look like her? just curious.

she has an incredible figure.. I may paint that next.

konsu
12-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I've never been to russia - do all the girls look like her? just curious.

but of course :)

frazzled
12-15-2008, 06:44 AM
but of course :)

I think my head would actually explode if I were to visit - that much beauty would do me in.