PDA

View Full Version : Bay Horse On Parade

HJC
12-12-2008, 02:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-12-2008/163063_stallion_003_resized.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A3
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first proper attempt at painting, not just acrylics, previously I have only attempted 2 brightly coloured landscapes lacking any detail so I'm jumping in at the deep end with my first painting and first open critique! I painted this this afternoon. Total amateur at this, it's a sort of hobby I picked up this year. Sorry about the quality, lighting isn't great!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any feedback would be great, I appreciate honesty :) Do you think I've captured the movement or does it look a bit static? Do I need to add any background? I painted a sort of ground line in to cover a cat paw print added by one of my rather nosey pets!

tgsloth
12-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Very interesting and a no doubt a stunning start. Your drafting of the horse is near perfect and you've done a pretty good job of varying values so as to depict volume. Should it have a background? Depends what you're trying to paint. You could call this one: "Horse, Superstar" and he doesn't need no background.

The mane problem ("mane", get it?) is with texture. Your painting doesn't look like an animal but rather like a metallic statue of said animal. This could be really cool if intended but it seems like you wanted a fully naturalistic horse. Look closely at your reference with regard to the precise colors and values needed for the painting to look natural. You've certainly got the skill to do it and I look forward to future posts.

And perhaps you could threaten the cat by saying if he bugs you again, you'll make him pose.

HJC
12-13-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm not really sure what I was aiming for to be honest, it started off as a doodle but I didn't know when to stop and thought I couldn't really ruin a doodle by practicing my painting on it. It looked like the picture was taken in very bright sunlight and then I had a very poor quality print out of it so colours were somewhat improvised. Totally agree about the texture, it's a problem that I didn't notice until it was shrunk down on this screen to 1/4 of the size. Not really sure what to do about it or whether to just leave it and try again on the next one when I get a chance. It served it's purpose of amusing me for an afternoon :)