PDA

View Full Version : Bluebell Woods of Swansea

shobha1807
12-12-2008, 07:10 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-12-2008/83354_12Dec_bluebellwood.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-12-2008/83354_cauliflowerfield_stg2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bluebell Woods of Swansea
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting was made from a reference photo sent to me by a friend who was visiting Swansea last May.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Bluebell Woods: I can't understand why the colors looks jumbled up. Is there any thing I can do at this stage to correct the painting?<br><br>Cauliflower Field: Any critique is welcome

thomas w
12-12-2008, 07:50 AM
I love the bold colors on the first one. They are both well painted overall.
Thomas W

tgsloth
12-12-2008, 08:48 AM
On the Swansea painting, I feel you're wrong to worry about the "jumpled up colors". Jumbled is good. The painting has a lot of punch and you've managed to create the intensity of pastel work with oils which is remarkable. I think the biggest chance for improvement is in blurring the very sharp edges you've set up between the tree trunk and the background foliage.

The cauliflower field, I believe, supports my suggestion on the first one. You need more jumbling! There is too much organization and self similar strokes in the cauliflowers and in the 3 horizontal stripes in red. More chaos!

shobha1807
12-12-2008, 09:30 AM
On the Swansea painting, I feel you're wrong to worry about the "jumpled up colors". Jumbled is good. The painting has a lot of punch and you've managed to create the intensity of pastel work with oils which is remarkable. I think the biggest chance for improvement is in blurring the very sharp edges you've set up between the tree trunk and the background foliage.

The cauliflower field, I believe, supports my suggestion on the first one. You need more jumbling! There is too much organization and self similar strokes in the cauliflowers and in the 3 horizontal stripes in red. More chaos!
Thanks a ton for your critique. Ok, I will rework those areas in the 2 paintings

shobha1807
12-12-2008, 09:31 AM
I love the bold colors on the first one. They are both well painted overall.
Thomas W
Thanks a TONNE for your appreciative critique. It has made my day!

Corby
12-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Shoba1807. These are beautiful. In addressing your question about the 'Bluebell Woods' keep in mind that we cannot focus on foreground and background at the same time in real life. One or the other is going to be blurred to an extent. The ragged quality is really nice in the foreground it gives a sense of natures texture. Keep that quality untouched in the foreground, but in the background soften it a great deal. This will destroy the hard edges and eliminate the detail. This makes the background recede visually as it should. At the same time it causes the crisp hard edged forms of the foreground to come toward us. A sense of reality as to depth is thus attained. Keep the background yellows and greens and browns cool, as opposed to the warm versions of these colors in the foreground. This will strengthen the sense of depth even more. And as an aside; having drawn the foreground right up to our feet as it were, you could for greater depth and realism even present us with some individual blooms that stand out as individuals. The same principles I have mentioned for this painting may also be applied to the Cauliflower Fields with the same result. It is indeed a procedure that can be applied as a matter of course to all of our paintings, to their benefit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2008/70790-83354_12Dec_bluebellwood.jpg

shobha1807
12-13-2008, 02:37 AM
Shoba1807. These are beautiful. In addressing your question about the 'Bluebell Woods' keep in mind that we cannot focus on foreground and background at the same time in real life. One or the other is going to be blurred to an extent. The ragged quality is really nice in the foreground it gives a sense of natures texture. Keep that quality untouched in the foreground, but in the background soften it a great deal. This will destroy the hard edges and eliminate the detail. This makes the background recede visually as it should. At the same time it causes the crisp hard edged forms of the foreground to come toward us. A sense of reality as to depth is thus attained. Keep the background yellows and greens and browns cool, as opposed to the warm versions of these colors in the foreground. This will strengthen the sense of depth even more. And as an aside; having drawn the foreground right up to our feet as it were, you could for greater depth and realism even present us with some individual blooms that stand out as individuals. The same principles I have mentioned for this painting may also be applied to the Cauliflower Fields with the same result. It is indeed a procedure that can be applied as a matter of course to all of our paintings, to their benefit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2008/70790-83354_12Dec_bluebellwood.jpg
Thank you Corby. I will blur the background today

shobha1807
12-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Improvement!

tgsloth
12-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Huge improvement in form for both works. I hope you don't entirely forget the "crazy" colors in the first version of the tree trunks as they had fantasy beauty which you should try to get back to at some point.

I'll now offer two idea about hue. The greens in both works are rather intense. A more muted mix of greens would be more pleasing. And the distant mountain in Cauliflower field is all a rather cream color. I don't believe this sort of color ever shows up on a distant mountain. It should be a bit darker and could be blueish, grayish, brownish or dull greenish but not creamy.

shobha1807
12-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks a LOT for your encouragement dear TG. I don't want to rework that mountain now... too much reworking already gone in and now the whole thing will get spoilt if I touch it.

I have to now work on the mid-ground...introduce landslope with highlights of raw sienna+burnt sienna+flake white, flecked with Burnt Umber for shadow and also add in a little rock under the midground tree as it is in my ref pic.

Saw your website. Very nice works you have there!

gerardina
12-18-2008, 08:28 AM
yes, i agree with the previous comments...i love the bold colors! nice work!