GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Captain
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I took a photo of my boyfriend while were sitting in the car at a gas station.Dan had a black heavy slicker and a black cowboy hat. I just knew this would make a cool painting..(I hope I accomplished this)...<br>I'm also interested in the techniques of Fechin and Richard Schmid.I love the look of the main focal point in detail and the rest sort of fading off.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
As always I'd love any comments,critiques,etc.

mackb
12-12-2008, 01:47 AM
I like this kind of painting because it is impressionistic. However I find it dark with little highlights. It needs a sparkle in the eye or something like that. Just my humble opinion.

thomas w
12-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Great portrait. I love the chiaroscuro style.
Thomas W

tgsloth
12-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Wooo Hooo. I feel like saluting. By coincidence, I'm halfway through Schmid's book, "Alla Prima". It would be a lot to ask for you to entirely duplicate his skill but to get closer, I think you need slightly more detail around the eyes (edges, contrast) and as Mack says, a few high value touches. Rembrandt did a lot of dark paintings but there was always a sparkle or two and he could paint a little.

A professional painter I know says that people who try to paint like Schmid are to be called, "Schmidlets". A proud title if you can merit it.

kathrynlovespets
12-12-2008, 09:44 PM
gorgeous though id like to see the right side behind his hat be as dark as the left (practically)

billmahler
12-12-2008, 11:11 PM
If Richard can paint Nancy, you can paint Dan.

main focal point in detail and the rest sort of fading off.
I think you got that.

I like this one as is.
It's like a song is a minor key.. it tells its story quietly.

Barbie Bud
12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I agree with the crowd, very nice and interesting painting. However it does seem a bit too dark, I would like to see a little more detail in the face.

missbee
12-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Thank you all for your help! I'm going to add some stronger highlights to his nose and cheek.

Corby
12-13-2008, 02:54 AM
Well done! My only suggestion on this fine portrait has already been taken, a stronger highlight on the nose.

missbee
12-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Thank you to Bill,Corby and Barbie too! Very helpful!