GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Afte<br>oon Doodle
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 4x6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am happy with the sky and mountains. I think the mountains could use some tweaking (colour/texture?)<br>Most of my work seems dark. <br>I am unhappy with the birch tree wanna be in the middle and had to go back and fix it up. I think it would have looked better just the trunk of a tree. <br>This is just a figment of my imagination, any resemblance to reality is merely coincidence.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything and everything. <br>I have no real idea of what I'm doing from one painting to the next.<br>I am very new, this might be # 20?

La_
12-10-2008, 02:28 AM
grrr, i had a big old long wordy bunch of stuff about stuff and things locked up, bloody bother ... the short form is what you get ... lovely water and sky, soften the mountains, in fact anything beyond the water - soften, super cool house nestled into the hillside, lakeside! (i want to reside there in the summery months!) trees need a little help (ensure full separation from background), and decide - the green blob bottom corner - it's in the front yard and i want to know what it is. all in all a lovely natural hap-hazard composition of raw nature, i love that, and great color choices ... have you tried oils?

la

thomas w
12-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Not bad. I'm glad you think you might be to dark in places, because a lot of new artists start off with rather mild work that has no contrast to it and then they slowly have to force themselves to add more highlights and shadows. Well you're ahead of the game on that one.
The composition is a bit strange but as long as you're happy with it that's the main thing.
Thomas W

wanabepainter
12-10-2008, 07:36 AM
La, soften but how, without making a big blob?

thomas, strange in what way?

Thanks for your input :)

Corby
12-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Hi wanabepainter! You are a painter and with practice and knowledge you will be a good one. What you have done here is a bit chaotic, nonetheless it has a great deal of character and charm. Here is the key to straightening this out so that it does not seem strange. The strangeness is happening because nothing relates in an orderly way to anything else.

THE KEY IS TO ESTABLISH A HORIZON LINE!

1.Any object that is situated above the horizon line you will not be able to see the objects top Here in your painting one would not be able to see the top planes of those far mountains

2. Any objects situated below the horizon line you will be able to see its top but not its bottom Here for example you can see the cabins roof on top, but you cannot see the underside where the rafters and such are.

3. man made structures will always have edges that point to the horizon line and meet at the same place on it. This place is called the vanishing point That's it! Very simple, and see the harmony it has brought mto your painting.

You will never ever learn it all and rise above it so I might as well mention that in my view, art is about beauty. So consider your trees, make their shapes as beautiful as you can. All shapes should be pleasing to the eye and placed in the composition so they are pleasing. I would revisit this painting if I were you and apply the principles presented and see if it doesn't make the doing easier!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2008/70790-forpost.JPG