GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Washed Ashore
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From the Library. I'm close to being done.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any criticism would be welcome.

cbcarnell
12-08-2008, 12:36 PM
You have done a very nice job here - I especially like the colors because they remind me of walking on the beach in the early morning. When I first looked at this, I thought the drawing of the bottle was off, but then I checked the reference library for the picture and saw that the irregularities on the bottom half of the bottle are from the wet sand clinging to the bottom edge. I do think the reflection of the neck of the bottle is slanted downward too far, making the reflection looking more 'bent' than it should.
Also, the photograph show parts of the top of the bottle 'kissing' the horizon. IMO, deviating from the photograph by moving the horizon (or the bottle - but I think the horizon would be easier) up or down slightly would help compositonally. Hope to see more of your work:clap: :clap: :clap:

thomas w
12-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Nice one. Great job other than the cloud that is throwing me off.
Thomas W

brushoff
12-09-2008, 12:36 PM
That's a reflection from a medium I used, hopefully it will dry.

La_
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
lovely concept, beautifully tranquil :cat:

i've an issue with the perspective tho ... if we can see that much of the bottom of the bottle, well, i really don't think we'd be able to see that much of the top of the bottle ... makes it seem as tho the bottle is trying to turn it's head to look at us ...

'scuse my fairly lame photoshop abilities ...

la
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2008/84648-Image1.jpg

Corby
12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi brushoff, I have not looked at this reference in the library, but I just wanted to cover ground that Claire has already capably covered, emphasizing that we must train our eye and enhance our selective discernment when we use a reference photo especially. Our desire to get it right according to the photo can overwhelm our own personal knowledge of the matter. What happens then is that the image we paint takes on the aspects of the photo that may be right for the photo, but usually falls short of a successful artistic presentation. As artists, it is my opinion that we should go with the 'knowledgeable eye' every time. You have allowed for digital alteration by way of critique. I pray you not to be offended that I have been so extensive with it. I wanted to demonstrate how one might have used the library reference to better effect. The bottle is the sole 'inhabitant' of the canvas and it strongly urges us not to stay but to exit to the right, it is a strong pointer. Because the bottle is the focal point and the only point of interest, never mind what the reference says, don't just leave it lie as you find it. Play it to the hilt! Reposition it for better effect and instead of trying to raise the horizon which cannot always be done, practice letting your lines and edges disappear before they touch the bottle, this will disconnect the bottle from those things and thrust it forward in a realistic way. The bottle is three dimensional, make it so Its reflection is not so much. 'Damp it down' so that it supports the bottle, not competes with it Detail in the water probably works better if it is totally lacking. Everything should enhance the interest and detail in that bottle and not claim it for its own. Lastly some nice darks in the foreground will solidify the sense of depth and make the light shine.
You have, (even by sticking close to the reference) painted the most lovely sense of the ocean. The atmosphere can almost be smelled and felt! And the light that flows into the painting has a great deal to do with it. I am hoping that these observations might be of some use for another painting of this type? And of course the principles apply to all reference work we do...so perhaps others might find something of use here as well. Thanks brushoff for allowing me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2008/70790-bottle.JPG

brushoff
12-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I am not offended in any way by anyone's criticism. To the contrary, I welcome it. After all, life is about learning and that is why I am here.
I tried to bring the bottle to the forefront by glazing but Corby's intuitiveness clearly makes it the focal point and I like it very much. I will have to set this aside 'til after the holidays so I can focus solely on it. Thanks so much everyone, your time is greatly appreciated.

gaensanger
12-10-2008, 12:12 PM
I like this painting, nice work.