PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread - December 8 - 14

Shirl Parker
12-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Hello Artists :wave: I'm filling in for Paula for her Christmas break.

The weekly pastel sketch thread is for pastelists of all levels who use soft pastels, hard pastels, or pastel pencils.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you are creating. So get your pastels out, set your timer, and when your time is up please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us.

For inspiration, please visit our Image Library here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

loribfromva
12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Is there a theme this week or are we on our own?

Lori

Shirl Parker
12-08-2008, 12:55 PM
If you would like a theme, suggest it, and that will be it. We're easy :lol:

loribfromva
12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Ah, you caught me in my own indecision. i haven't been able to chose anything yet for this week.

Lori

Shirl Parker
12-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, I'm going to be working on birds this week, so if anyone is interested, we can make that the theme.

christinemlr
12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I'd like to do some sketching, but am put off by the mess and dust of pastels. I don't mind the dirtyness for largerscale work when I expect to be cleaning up during and after session, but I don't want to be worrying about pastel dust when I'm sketching on my sofa or bed or wherever. I have considered getting oil pastels, but it seems they are a quite different kind of medium. So really the question is how do you paste sketchers manage the dust problem?

Xina

Lisa Fiore
12-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I sketch at the kitchen table, and then wipe up with a few damp paper towels, and use my swiffer sweeper-vac on the floor. I live in a house with 3 kids, 4 dogs, and 1 messy husband, so cleaning up is a constant chore and a little pastel dust is nothin'! :) (Not that I ever seem to post sketches in this thread--some day I plan to when I get a little better!! :rolleyes: )

robertsloan2
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I work small and tap the pieces upside down over my trashcan. I think the biggest reason I don't have a major dust problem is just that I work so small.

Judibelle
12-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Here is a quickie I did this morning, inspired by getting out my Christmas ornaments... Cansonpaper, about 5 by 6 1/2
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2008/103700-scan0015.jpg___3_balls.jpg the lighting wasnt very good, so the balls dont shine in the painting like they do IRL...I couldnt get them quite right..
JB

christinemlr
12-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Elizibeth and Robert , thank you for responding. I won't be working at the kitchen table as I don't have one, just a very small kitchen, so I want to be able to sketch around the house. I like to sit on my bed in the evening in relax mode , but pastel dust is NOT relaxing, even with dust sheet it still gets where it shouldn't,

And IRobert I can't, just can't do tiny pieces like you can do. I use A5 /A4 size sketchbooks.

I want to work in the new way I'm learning in Charlie's 'colourful way' class, but just trying out things with sketches,

Robert I see you have a lot of experience with all types of oil/wax pastels. What would you recommend for the kind of layering that needs to be done using Charlie's method?

Xina

christinemlr
12-10-2008, 04:18 PM
JB I think the baubles look lovely - did you use Charlie's method?

Xina

Shirl Parker
12-11-2008, 12:32 AM
JB I like your sketch, and it is reminiscent of Charlie's class. I started a painting on Uart today, 21x27 600 grit. Just laid in some underpainting, but no time for photos. It's part of my series I am working on of Kiskadees, a bird that's common here in South Texas.

christinemlr
12-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Another word from me on this sketching with pastels business. I have noticed this is not such a poular thread. Is it the case that pastellist DON'T as a rule sketch with pastels. And by sketching I mean quick notes and references , experiments etc. not full studies and drawings. So if not sketching with pastels what are they sketching with?

Perhaps I should post these questions elsewhere- what would be best thread?

Xina

Paula Ford
12-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Another word from me on this sketching with pastels business. I have noticed this is not such a poular thread. Is it the case that pastellist DON'T as a rule sketch with pastels. And by sketching I mean quick notes and references , experiments etc. not full studies and drawings. So if not sketching with pastels what are they sketching with?

Perhaps I should post these questions elsewhere- what would be best thread?

Xina

Hi Xina,

You can start your own thread with these questions in Soft Pastel Talk, where this thread is located.

christinemlr
12-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Thank you Paula, I will try and figure ou how to do the insert quote so i can repost.
Xina

Paula Ford
12-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Xina, Go here http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=147 and up near the top left there is a button "NEW THREAD." Click on it, put a name on your new thread and copy and paste your words from this thread to the new thread (if you don't want to retype it all that is). When you are done typing in your new thread click "SUBMIT NEW THREAD." Poof! You have started your new thread. If you need further help, just pm (private message) me by clicking on my name and clicking "SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO PAULA FORD."

robertsloan2
12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Elizibeth and Robert , thank you for responding. I won't be working at the kitchen table as I don't have one, just a very small kitchen, so I want to be able to sketch around the house. I like to sit on my bed in the evening in relax mode , but pastel dust is NOT relaxing, even with dust sheet it still gets where it shouldn't,

And IRobert I can't, just can't do tiny pieces like you can do. I use A5 /A4 size sketchbooks.

I want to work in the new way I'm learning in Charlie's 'colourful way' class, but just trying out things with sketches,

Robert I see you have a lot of experience with all types of oil/wax pastels. What would you recommend for the kind of layering that needs to be done using Charlie's method?

Xina

I've been posting a lot in the Oil Pastels forum including the Oil Pastels Sketch Thread. Ever since I started Charlie's class, I've been applying her techniques to oil pastels -- and the dustless wonders function about the same for how to apply them and how they work using her "colourist" techniques.

So if you want to use oilies for preliminary sketches, go for it. I'll be happy to see you posting in the Oil Pastels forum, it's fun and could stand to be more active. I do both and enjoy both and find that the techniques are very similar. Oil pastels are great for dustlessness and being clean. They're good if you like to work large for the same reasons pastels are.

When I learn anything in either, I wind up applying it in both mediums. Handling is very similar except of course that with oilies, you get no dust. I would recommend using an artist grade brand that has a wrapper though. Holbein ones don't have wrappers and I wound up buying a holder because I didn't like it melting on my hot fingers.

In the Oil Pastels area, the Oil Pastels Weekly Sketch Thread is very similar but it's not in Oil Pastels Talk, it's in Oil Pastels Studio. Slight difference in organization but it was a bit hard for me to find when I first went looking for it.

Other than those, pastel pencils and color Conte or other hard pastels are a bit less dusty for sketching. The pastel pencils especially lend themselves to it because you're not handling the stick directly so it's not all over your fingers.

loribfromva
12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Greetings,

Thanks Shirl for suggesting birds, which lifted me out of my indecision. I found a photo of a woodpecker in the RIL from which i did this quick, rough half hour sketch. I think that the body is a little too big for the head, and i'm still using the golden pastel ground till its gone (i'm just too frugal for my own good sometimes) so there's the unavoidable texture peeking through. Felt good to give it a go, though, since i haven't done much sketching or otherwise the last few days.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2008/153026-PC130222.JPG

Lori

ArtSavesLives
12-13-2008, 03:43 PM
As winter sets in here in the Pacific Northwest, I felt the need this week to revisit the warm coastal weather of the Outer Banks from our October vacation. I did this on the dining room table, which is also my work table, as my easel is set up between the dining room and the living room! Too little to put up on the easel, this piece is about 5"x7" on Fabriano Roma. I had hoped to just do a study, with broad strokes and none of my usual tightness . . . but oh, well!

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/art4now/100_3797.jpg
Coquina Beach Shadows

terri66
12-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Lori, if the texture really bugs you, try to give it a quick sand with sandpaper or try using a roller to put on the ground, using a thicker roller to put it on and then lightly with a foam roller just to minimize the texture. If you going to do it with the rollers, do a bunch of surfaces, to minimize clean up. (I am inherently lazy, so I try to capitalize on my mess-making)

Shirl Parker
12-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Lori, I like your bird sketch. The texture doesn't detract.

Debra, nice landscape, rather beachscape.

loribfromva
12-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks Terri66 for your suggestion of a roller. i'll have to try that. and thanks to all for looking.

Lori

IdahoHat
12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Xina - Sometimes I use my pastel pencils (Stabilo Carb Othellos or Derwent) for sketching. Use an old beach towel under your work, fold it up and shake outdoors or over the trash bin afterwards. The only mess I make with these is when I sharpen them and I just am careful about where I'm holding the pencil and sharpener at the time. You get the pastel colors and look without the mess for sketching! Also, the pastel pencils are not very expensive. Go to it.

WC Lee
12-15-2008, 02:09 AM
nice sketches Judi, Lori and Debra :)

Lori: using a foam brush would get rid of a lot of the texture that is created with a brush. I tried using a foam roller before too but not too thrilled with the results.

rather slow this week .. like everyone, I have been busy getting ready for the hoiidays. And also started rebuilding my website, hopefully, I'll have enough time to finish it before the new year. Anyhow, any thoughts on it will be most appreciated :)