GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: bad change
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Pen/Ink
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I posted this with my intro in the other forum but I'd like to dig in a little more and get some feedback now that I know that you guys don't bite (I hope!)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
what do you call this kind of work? Is there a story? What types of drawing excercises mught help me make my work more solid?

jnet11
08-05-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by futurebird
What types of drawing excercises mught help me make my work more solid?
[/B]

just draw what interests you, and you can never go wrong. Don't be in a hurry to be 'perfect', I think you have a very strong emotional piece here. How long have you been drawing, etc? I didn't see your other post :)

hope you stick around, I enjoy your distortion and intensity.

futurebird
08-05-2002, 12:42 PM
I went to university for theatre directing, I do some design so I have drawn sets and costumes for a few years, but never done work to stand on its own. I also worked doing graphic design (logos and webdings) to make some cash while in school.

I’ve never had an art-drawing class, but for theatre directing you take a lot of art history. I also know drafting and the sort of technical drawing we do for theatre things. I’ve read some books and I do studies of objects to get better and getting things where I want them. I don't like to draw things with too much depth, then I'd rather take a photo and then edit it, I like to make cartoons and icons and toss them around on the paper. Once I get a shape I like I'll draw it over and over til every line is just where I feel like it "needs" to be.

My heros in art are duchamp. tatlin, warhol, miro, max ernst, francis bacon and rockwell—francis bacon is my hero since he captures a sense of time in so many of his works, it’s like futurism (my favorite movement in art) but without all the “yay we shall rule the world I love cars and war!” crap, it’s like “sad futurism”

(BTW that’s what’s up with my nickname! I’m a lil’ wild beast, well that’s how my theatre works when it works….)

thanks for asking... I don't know if I answer your question..

I don't know I've been drawing like this for about two years now. But have not shown it to may people since I don't know how to do that. I did sell some of my drawings of dogs to a guy I know and then I felt better about doing more of this to see what happens.

Bill170
08-05-2002, 04:58 PM
I keep coming back to this and wondering.
I don't know what to make of it.
Do you have any words you want to share about it or will it just stand alone for what it is?

(I've always wanted to ask this question of something I don't comprehend but have never gotten the chance before.)

Bill

futurebird
08-05-2002, 05:04 PM
I'm not in to 'splaining stuff. Since I like to know what people did see (if anything) before I feed it to them. Also, if I could explain I'd just write about it (and this is what I often do!)

But, I'll answer your question after this has been up for a bit longer so I know that anyone who wants to say something has had a chance to without being "influenced"

:D

Naris
08-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Hmmmm, very edgy, the F apples one too. Basquit comes to mind, tho your work is more controlled. (Being in the "Big Apple I'm sure you've seen some of his stuff?) Both of your pieces are very bold, graphic. Both are mysterious, seem slightly angry to me. These gals are definitely not having a good day! I'd like to see a little more narrative detail, expressive stuff, not too much, maintain the angst but help your viewer.
Thanks for commenting on my dog painting. A bigger pink tongue would be dramatic, but she is such a genteel little dog.;)

Sonya
08-05-2002, 07:35 PM
I'm with you Bill. I'm not too sure what to make of it, but it sure demands a response. I think I have felt like that a few times myself. After my crummy day today I think that would serve as a self portrait. Sonya