PDA

View Full Version : Did the Invitation really say "clothing optional"

flytooil
12-08-2008, 01:31 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2008/137456_Nude_studie_002.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Did the Invitation really say "clothing optional"
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24inX30in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have been made aware that the painting is too large for the canvas

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
please critique the overall painting particularly the background and forground

thomas w
12-08-2008, 07:16 AM
I like the overall style of this. The subtle shadows and brilliant highlights on the figure are remarkable. Keep up the good work.
Thomas W

tgsloth
12-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Wonderful skill and you've nailed an expression for the figure as well.

Not sure what you mean by "painting too big for canvas". I would say you've got her head positioned too near the top.

I think the background and foreground colors are excellent. An alternate treatment could be a variegated background but I'm not pushing for it.

Her left foot which points towards us seems too small.

I find the folds of the cloth she's sitting on which fall down under the chair are unconvincing.

LynnDigby
12-08-2008, 09:32 AM
What I'm particularly enjoying is the play of warm and cool in the skintones. I like the way you've established form, but I'd like to see more of this interplay of warm and cool. The shadow on her face doesn't make sense with the rest of the painting. Both it, and the one on the front of her bent leg are too dark and too 'neutral.' I'd expect in the face one, that there would be elements of both warm and cool because the shadow wraps around her head, covering the cool side and the warmer side.

Be careful to consider how you establish the forms of the cloth and chair. In this strong light, wouldn't there be cast shadows? Keep an eye on edges and blends in the cloth form. It needs to be softer, I think, and less noticeable.

The background in green is not doing you any favors. The bluish skin tones are lovely, and they would be better supported by a more neutral or bluer color in the background. I like the value of the background, but its hue is jarring with the subtle coloration you have in the skin.

Not sure about the floor color, but breaking it up with shadow would help, and it feels right in hue with the rest of the painting's palette.

konsu
12-08-2008, 11:35 AM
hello,

i like this. i think it is executed well. i noticed some minor things like her leg appears bent a little but may be i am just imagining things.

did you use a model? where in NE ohio are you? i am currently in toledo and i have been looking for life drawing and painting sessions here... to no avail. :)

konstantin

Billycourty
12-08-2008, 11:52 AM
To start you have had some amazing critics here, things i didnt even notice i went and look at again and the criticist was dead on.

I think the folds of the clothe could be painted over entirely with background colour, its just as good for me that she sits on a cushion and i dont expect that to be anywhere but on the chair.

Of course if you feel like painting folds of fabric it would be very painterly and showcase your skill (its the little things like that that make the difference).

Do it well or don't do it.

I can see how the foot she is sitting on could be too small, but it doesnt really bother me because her body is artistically out of proportion anyway so i dont mind it at all.

The reason i think she is out of proportion (not a bad thing i think it adds to the interest of the work) is that her lower front leg seems to belong to a thinner woman then the body after her thigh area.

Yes i agree that the shadow on her face doesnt make sense, but i didnt really notice it until it was pointed out.

The only thing i dont like, and i have thought about it but was going to hold my tongue, but decided i might as well tell you....is the breasts, with the whiteish line of paint running down her shoulder to them they look almost like strap on boobs.

I can't imagien the model was flattered by this :).

Jaymee

La_
12-08-2008, 02:20 PM
yes to all of the above, and if i may add - her nipple looks much like a bullet hole

la

flytooil
12-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Thank you all for taking your time to comment. The colors are off in the photo I see The area that is the floor is in real life a blue why it turned out redish is beyond me. This was difficult to paint as the model was posed for a classroom setting on a raised platform with a lamp with a 75watt bulb placed on the floor to her right. I can't post the reference photo I had to use when not in class but it was horrendus to work with. LynnDigby could you elaborate some on what you meen about the interplay of the warm and cool? Thanks againto you all.

flytooil
12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
;) Those strap on boobs might need some work What I did was leave in the tan lines the model had, I'll try something different to fill in the bullit hole:) and remove the tan lines?yes or no?

Bis007
12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
;) Those strap on boobs might need some work What I did was leave in the tan lines the model had, I'll try something different to fill in the bullit hole:) and remove the tan lines?yes or no?

sorry - i repost. can't delete

Bis007
12-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Flytooil, are those really strap on boobs? really? did not know they make those? I need more assets too! (will google). If it is not, then you are right about the white strap, take a look at her back, it looks like she is wearing a sheer white lingerie and it attached to the breast.

When I first saw the pic - I thought it was a strap on bra - then I scrolled down to your message, I saw you mentioned "strapon" - :thumbsup:

The 3 dark round spot in the painting are a bit harsh. eye,nose and yes the nipples. She needs tanning up a bit- maybe some shading, or some color.
it is a large painting, but I find it rather naked - Spice her up with background, floor - it flat. More values etc., etc.,
cheers.

Bizkit
12-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Im going to say the painting is too large for the canvas...If, and when it were framed, assuming it would be the top of her head would get lost to the frame.
Had her head been about 2" lower from the top it would have been just fine. I agree with most of the other posts, fix the bullet hole, work on the clothes, etc...
I would leave the tan lines, there natural and "most" women have them. I do however like this alot and think youve done outstanding work but again I wish the placement would have worked as well.