PDA

View Full Version : geisha 02

deevaa
08-04-2002, 10:00 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-04-2002/3200_geisha02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-04-2002/3200_geisha_allinarow.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: geisha 02
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
number 2 in the series.... one more to come.

Sorry about the glare one the close up -- a photo of the series is the only one I have without glare.... *pulls a face*

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I think this and the first in the series are my favourites.. general feedback/comments welcome.

bertie291
08-04-2002, 10:39 PM
I absolutely LOVE this series!
IMHO...it is simple and not overworked, yet it catches and holds the eye, a very pleasing effect.
Just Lovely!

maybefoolish
08-05-2002, 02:02 AM
These don't feel finished to me. Why? because the bottom fifth on all of them seems to have been left to it's own devices. The upper areas are flat and well designed but the bottoms just drift off almost as if you ran out of paint or didn't know what you wanted to do in that area.

So, fill it in similarly to the upper area, or crop the image a little higher.

It seems to me all parts of the painting should support the idea in some way and the ragged bottoms of these draw attention away from the face and eyes where i think you seem to want up to concentrate our attention.

Simple clean tough looking women.Maybe a little sad. Is that the effect you were after?

futurebird
08-05-2002, 02:11 AM
I think that the comment about the bottoms drawing the eye away is dead on, that was my first thought. I also wanted to say that I find these powerful since I can see what I think is the old world meeting the new, the style is formal, but the girls seems a little modern (something about the hairstyle I think...).

Is she trying to hide her defect/gift with her hair?

deevaa
08-05-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by maybefoolish
These don't feel finished to me. Why? because the bottom fifth on all of them seems to have been left to it's own devices. The upper areas are flat and well designed but the bottoms just drift off almost as if you ran out of paint or didn't know what you wanted to do in that area.

So, fill it in similarly to the upper area, or crop the image a little higher.

It seems to me all parts of the painting should support the idea in some way and the ragged bottoms of these draw attention away from the face and eyes where i think you seem to want up to concentrate our attention.

Simple clean tough looking women.Maybe a little sad. Is that the effect you were after?

How will I finish them? They are finished. Thats it.

Thankyou for the feedback though -- I appreciate that you took the time!

JustjoGA
08-05-2002, 06:38 AM
These images are beautiful, Deevaa... and I know they are finished.... but I have to agree with the unfinished bottom
thought... It does detract from the beautiful simplicity of the
girls' faces and their lovely kimonos...