PDA

View Full Version : DERWENT CP's 用ortrait of a Scotsman

moxilla
08-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Hi,

I bought a dozen DERWENTS-studio cps & Caran d'ache to try yesterday and i am having a blast. I really like these better than the Prisma's so far.

Can you guess the movie star? HINT: THINK STAR WARS

Anybody out there have a recommended must have Derwent/ Caran Dache list? They cost plenty so I need to go slow for now, tho I wish I could have them all NOW!!!

Also, any leads on discounted prices on open stock on these brands? they seem harder to find

Thanks and happy drawing/painting,

Susie

damaradianne
08-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Can't help ya out on any of your questions. Just wanted to say that I think your portrait is great. Love, love, love, the colors that you used and they remind me of pastels. Great job.

edencompton
08-04-2002, 09:16 PM
nice portrait, Moxilla. I like the style and colors. I also do a lot of portraits and use a combination of prismacolors and pablos. The pablo pencils are great for portraits -- they have great coverage and a wonderful translucent quality for skintones.

In answer to your question, you can buy Pablo's open stock at Pearl Paint (but not on their web site -- you'll have to go in person or get the catalog) or order online for $1.59 each at www.fineartstore.com, which is Rochester Art Supply. I have actually talked to the sales people at Caran D'ache and these are the only outlets for open stock on the pablo pencils. Everyone else just sells the set.

As for the Derwents, I have the entire set but don't use them. You've done a great job with them, but I find them too hard. ANyway, you can buy open stock at Pearl Paint and order online at Dick Blick (www.dickblick.com) for about the same price as the Pablos.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

TeAnne
08-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Very nice work but I don't know who he is.
There is plenty of info about Derwents in the Sticky notes at the top of the posts here. Feel free to read :D

gemmag
08-04-2002, 11:30 PM
Dick Blicks has individual Derwent Studio colored pencils. They are 99 cents each.

Gemma

ripvanblair
08-05-2002, 04:12 AM
I'm sure Ewan will be very happy good work I like the derwent pencils as well ---------Alan

Vernon
08-07-2002, 02:30 AM
Very interesting portrait. Looks to me to be of Han Solo played by Harrison Ford. Keep working on your portraits. I hope to see more.:D

Vernon

arlene
08-07-2002, 10:49 AM
very nicely done, but i haven't a clue

moxilla
08-07-2002, 06:30 PM
IT'S EWAN MCGREGOR!! Love him

thanks damaradianne, they are kind of like mini pastels, i like these derwents and pablos!

edencompton I went to pearl paint and the prices and selection are better there, I bought a set of 36 Derwents for 33.40! plus some open stock and some pablos (and a Stonehenge pad, tho haven't broken into that yet)

and thanks all for kind words:

Here is an updated pic

Stay tuned for the next portrait, soon

Susan