PDA

View Full Version : Garden Entance

FULLOFFLOWERS
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-05-2008/87012_garden_entrance.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Garden Entance
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10x13
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Practising watercolors.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything you want to say :)

billmahler
12-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Lots of work visible here

My suggestion would be to soften some of the bricks to give the rest of the elements a chance to emerge more.

Corby
12-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Yes, a good idea of interest, but as Bill says, soften that brickwork! What is needed for the artist is to see. That is to say, that we will not look at a vine say to ourselves..."oh, that is pretty! We will say..."Oh that is pretty BECAUSE. It is the 'because' part that is important. It is pretty because the flowers grow in arcing clusters. It is pretty because the flowers have a luscious hot pink color. It is pretty because the vine casts lavender shadows on the brickwork.... Thats what I think you can do with this. You must think of the reasons this is a beautiful place, and then paint the reasons. You can do it. Anyone that can capture all of that brickwork just needs to train their eye to really see and then place the result of that seeing on the paper.

Now I did my usual workup ( when its allowed) And I have tried to convey what happens when you step beyond the object and paint the reasons. There are no great artistic achievements in the work up. Examine it and you will see that it is mostly dots and irregular shapes put on what you have already done. To be sure, you may work long and hard in achieving your artistic vision...but therein lies the joy! I hope that in some small measure this points the way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2008/70790-87012_garden_entrance.jpg

FULLOFFLOWERS
12-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Thank you both soooo much! You've both helped immensely! I totally get what you are saying. I knew it was a pretty scene but I didn't break down the why of it. Corby, you are brillant with those changes! I really think this helped me tons but I'll have to wait and see if I can see the whys myself : ) I'd like to paint this over looking like what you did but I need to try to find the whys on my own now : ( ...lol Plus it's watercolor and not sure I can stand painting another whole wall of bricks just yet...lol.

Corby
12-06-2008, 12:33 PM
The brickwork in its totality becomes a texture, textures are best indicated at their edges or in 'key' spots. Don't paint all the bricks, just indicate that the garden wall is a brick wall and leave it go at that. Our focus should be on the garden gate first, the garden itself second, and the wall only in that it serves as a 'stage' to display something of more importance.