GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Emily Runs Free
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 inches x 32 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My daughter running in a field north of Pickering, Ontario.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

thomas w
12-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Gorgeous landscape. The figure blends well into the work, I like the repetition of the colors in her dress and the background.
Thomas W

tgsloth
12-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Looks like global warning has really hit if you can do one like this in Canada in December. Anyhow, you exceed yourself. Drafting, the concept and the stupifyingly great job you did on the figure and foliage is beyond any criticism from me.

Spyderbabe
12-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Allan - the landscape is fantastic. I love the movement in her dress and hair. Check her right leg - ankle and foot area..

allanom
12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey Thomas: Thanks so much for your kind comments. I wondered about differing the dress colours but settled to try it with them close to the background and am happy about the nice integrated result.

Bob: There's a foot of snow on the ground starting 25 miles north of here, but none accumulated here on the north shore of Lake Ontario yet! I'm glad this pleaseth thou. And I bow to your gracious feedback.

Kathleen: Thanks for pointing out the area of the right leg that needs revisiting. Will do some touching up there. And thanks for the positive response.

For anyone who would like to see this piece in progress, click on this link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=62253&l=17aa4&id=542151078

Caroline P
12-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Lovely free feeling.

Yayagal
12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
I love your painting technique!!!

Bis007
12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
:wave:
Mr. Allanon
This painting is so beautiful!! I love it it is full of energy, her hair, her dress, the landscape, and the colors.

I can't help - but it made me homesick- when I was a little girl. Why?
I remembered we used to have some cane field at the end of this horizon. I would held my dad's supper in a "Canteen" and running through the sugar cane estate to get it to him. My dad was a guard there.
He would reward me with the sweetest cane and almonds.

I love this painting very very much!! Thanks. Make some more.

allanom
12-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Caroline, yayagal: Cheers!

mangogirl: I'm pleased this resonates with you. I love it when a work of art has that kind of strong impact. Thanks so much for expressing your reaction so well and so in the moment...

Bis007
12-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Allonom

Yes it does so much, I am wondering if this is commissioned or are you selling it? $? - can you make prints - Love to buy it. (hoping I can afford it though).

God bless.

Corby
12-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Yes, I never know quite what to say, mangogirl says it well. The painting has beauty in itself and I am reminded of what I know of my mother when she was a child, I now treasure the memory of environment. Somehow this painting touches that, and as I have said it is beautiful within itself. I do wonder, one almost gets the sense that the person with camera was actually running with her...

allanom
12-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey mangogirl: The piece isn't a commission and I have no plan for prints at this point. I'll send you a private message about the price of it, etc.

Corby: The reference was one of a series taken by a girl-friend of Emily's and may very well have been shot on the run. (I saw the pic on Em's friend's Facebook album and asked her permission to use it as reference. She was thrilled with the idea and readily approved my use of it.)
And I'm humbled and pleased that this piece strikes a chord of place and time and environment with you as it did with mangogirl.

allanom
12-06-2008, 05:16 PM
For anyone interested, a link to a selection of photos from my "Show of Shows" installation and opening (last night) at the McLean Community Centre in Ajax, Ontario:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=71272&l=921d7&id=542151078

Billycourty
12-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Merci beaucoup Allan d'avoir partager avec nous vos tres beaux tableaux et votre site!

Bon chance a vous pour le show!

Jaymee

MRSBB
12-07-2008, 10:16 AM
The freedom of youth, you've captured it all. Wonderful work Allan.........Lenore

mburrell
12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
This is a beautiful piece, I just made a few harmonizing additions like warming colors to clouds and sky color to grass. I also added highlights to the hair, a little light on her legs and shading to the gravel road to make it lay down and recede. The shape of the shadow on her back was reshaped and the bright light and edge was knocked down a bit. Lastly I made very sight adjustment to her foot which looked to flat, made it more organic in shape. All of these additions can be done with glazes if you chose to implement them. This girl reminds me of my daughter, we went to a family reunion in Toronto and later visited Yarker, Ontario just north west of Kingston. This painting brings back good memories. Thanks
Mikehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2008/158887-girl_running_2.jpg

allanom
12-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Mike:

Thanks so much for the positive feedback and the very astute suggestions for change. Haven't done the final alts yet, so will keep your ideas handy when doing so.

Cheers!

Allan

kathrynlovespets
12-13-2008, 04:01 PM
That's really beautiful...
Incredible

Bis007
12-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Beautiful!
Ok after the season allanom (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=4031)

allanom
12-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Kathryn.

Okie dokie, Dev.

A.