PDA

View Full Version : "Poppi"

Cobby17
12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-03-2008/158702_poppi-finished.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Poppi"
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted with a knife.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all feedback is appreciated. I am trying to enter an art show (my first) in April of next year under this style of painting, so all forms of C&C are welcomed.

billmahler
12-03-2008, 07:03 PM
The style is good and you've drafted a good painting but you can improve some I think.
I'd suggest that you think about the temperatures of your lights and darks.
His right eye is in the shade, but you've used a warm color to define it and it seems to be out of place there. Using a cool color would solve that, I think.
Similarly the light on the right side of his mouth and his lower right cheek seems odd, possibly for the same reason.

Corby
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Is there a possibility that the face might be more comfortably settled in its atmospheric environment with a touch of related warmth to the background as well as the beard? This is a very dignified gentleman. It would be interesting to meet him.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2008/70790-158702_poppi-finished.jpg

Bizkit
12-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Definately a very interesting painting...I love the colors youve choosen to use!!!! I would agree with bill about the eye, and Corby about meeting him!

Cobby17
12-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Bill:
I agree, on all accounts. I'll have to go back over it and make the adjustments you suggested.

Corby:
Thanks for the suggestion, and altered image. I agree that it does make the composition better and I'll probably make that addition as well.

This was painted from a picture in the RIL.

toraman
12-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Great colors. great texture. The flow of the light is superb. I think it is perfect as it is.

Cobby17
12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
toraman:
Thank you very much! Although, I do agree with the previous comments. The highlight around his right eye has bugged me from the beginning. In the reference photo, there is a slight highlight around that eye, and a slight highlight on his cheek. I think maybe highlighting those two areas with a lighter purple or maybe a blue would've made more sense. But...this is why I posted it -- to get advice from people who know more than I! Again, thanks for the compliments!

tgsloth
12-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Two points:
If you fix up the warm highlights per Bill's advice, Corby's warm background may no longer be the best way to go so I'd first do Bill's correction and then reconsider the background carefully.
Eyes are crucial to portraits. They have to come alive. If you cover the left half of his face (as you view the piece) so you're looking at his left eye, it looks great. Cover the right half of his face and look at his right eye. I suggest it looks squinty at best and maybe dead. So I suggest you need a little work on his right eye to define it and make it match the left. I appreciate that it's in more shadow but I still think it's a problem.

Cobby17
12-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the advice! Sadly, I won't be around that painting (geographically) for another couple of weeks so I'll have to make the changes then. Thanks again for your reply!