PDA

View Full Version : Boxer dog

Billycourty
12-03-2008, 10:36 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-03-2008/93521_DSC00873_%28Small%29.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-03-2008/93521_DSC00874_%28Small%29.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Boxer dog
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: Not sure classic portrait size
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Ok so this is a picture i wanted to paint for my friend for xmas.

I never have painted anything like this before and usually paint with vivid colours and a lot of artist licence.

So please critic this for me.
So does the piece work?

This is painted from my friends dog so thats why the markings on the face are so different.

Be cruel to be kind.

Warmest thanks
Jaymee

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do i have to change the ear which is bigger to more the same size as the other.

I see that all is a little bigger on that side (our right).

Can this work or I really have to work over that?

I am going to do more building up of the background cover and over the white of the face so you can see more texture.

Edited to add the picture i have been working off.

allanom
12-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Rather than having the head simply floating free like you've painted it, maybe put in the rest of the visible area of the dog that fits into your composition? Makes for a more interesting and dynamic picture, dontcha think? And darkening the eyes may help.

Allan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2008/4031-boxerPainting.jpg

Billycourty
12-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I painted just the head because I wimped out and didnt think i could do the body justice.

I was afraid :). But from your photo crop I can see I am able to do that thankyou.

Anymore suggestions?

I am not hitting the palette until tommorow so plenty of time to chime in with advice.

Jaymee

tgsloth
12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I think the chief problem is that your depiction is flat or two dimensional. You need to vary the lighting on the forms to suggest depth. Look first at the tennis ball. It's all one shade. Regarding the dog's face, if you look closely at the photo you can see highlights on the forehead and darker, shadow areas surrounding the face as it recedes. Start, I think, by putting in the forehead highlights and this should be able to lead you towards depicting volume. You'll have a path for improvement as you continue to paint.

And there's a drafting issue which is a little funny. The most common drafting problem artists have when drawing a face is the "short head" mistake. They don't realize that eyes are positioned horizontally at the halfway point in the head. They place the eyes too high and don't have enough forehead. It's the same with dogs! Who knew? Look closely at the photo. You need a lot more forehead height. Woof, woof.

FULLOFFLOWERS
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Your dog is too cute! I think your painting is coming along nicely too! I think maybe you could make the nose a bit larger and I like how Jaymee added a body. I think that will really make it : ) Good luck and post what you change. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Billycourty
12-03-2008, 02:14 PM
How do i stop the (our left) leg being so sticky and straight and thin looking compaired to the other?

This is a very quick adding of body and a hieghtening of the forehead with no attention to detail.

I never wanted to do the body because I didnt like the left leg, how to I work it so it looks in proportion to the other?

Jaymee

Billycourty
12-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Ok so worked on the changes a little bit more.

I darkened the eyes, enlarged the nose and worked on the colour coat.

I have to round out the ball that will be the very last thing i do.

At the moment I have to figure out how to make that other leg work.

I feel really disheartened about the painting now.

Jaymee

FULLOFFLOWERS
12-03-2008, 03:57 PM
On the leg closest you have the top rounded up when in the picture it rounds down slimmer. I think if you shadowed it slightly darker in places and with the back one maybe blurred the edges a bit. I'm just a beginner so maybe you should wait for some pros but that's my two cents.