PDA

View Full Version : Repair Job

tgsloth
12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2008/124239_Smuggler.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2008/124239_Smuggler_Improved.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Repair Job
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'd posted "the Smuggler" before and although most folks liked it, I got consistent critiques that I'd sloppily handled the foreground reflections. So...I did a repair job and post both just to make the point as to how much help artists can get from the forum. You'll also note that the improved painting shows less saturated blues. This is more true to the actual painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
open

Corby
12-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes!

cbcarnell
12-03-2008, 01:00 AM
The reflections are much nicer, Bob. Don't know if it's a result of your changes, but the boats and light in the background seem to fit into the painting even better than in the first shot. This is a great piece - I really like the tension it evokes.

allanom
12-03-2008, 02:32 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.... Excellent!

Gemini IX
12-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi Tg, NICE! What an improvement! Just curious, what shade of blue is that? It is primo!

tgsloth
12-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Interesting question on the blue shade, Ian. The painting is in acrylic and I hadn't used acrylics for a month or so, having been on an oil jag. You've got to ramp up the caffeine; wow that stuff dries fast. Anyhow, the painting is made up of a soup of blues with lots of swirly mixing on the fly. But the basic color was French Ultramarine. Why did I start with this color? Was I inspired by the ghost of Picasso? No, the tube was nearly empty and I wanted to use it up. So I got some first layers down and finished for the day having painted for about an hour. The next day, I get back at it. I've got no French Ultramarine but I've got several other blues and I know that you can mix anything with just a few primaries and I'm one of those artists (lazy) who possess a couple dozen colors. And of course it's fun to buy art supplies.

But nooooo. I can't hit the shades I need and I waste some paint trying. I get close but it looks wrong. Back to the store and with another brand new tube of French Ultramarine, I was able to finish the painting. How ever did Rembrandt get along without French Ultramarine? A mystery indeed.

So put me in the "unlimited palette" school of painters. I would have felt better if I could have done some mixing magic but I couldn't seem to get there. Color compatibility is rather a mysterious issue when you're working with close, analogous shades. At least it mystifies me.