GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Kids
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10 x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Created with oils, watercolor, acrylic, color pencil, and ink.<br><br>Leave the images to your imagination to tell your own story. I didn't really have a story to tell when painting this, it's just what came off the brush. Most of my paintings are done this way... I leave the story up to you.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interested in what you believe is taking place in this painting.<br><br>Please critique, any and all comments welcome.

Ronni
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
You have this magical touch, it is so well balanced and beautifuly done. The tense between the human and toys, that become one living connected unit...great art!

KYRed
12-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Hi, alexj. This is a wonderful painting to me. I love the browns and whites with just a hint of yellow here and there. I once did a painting of a child in browns and whites. Didn't think to put in yellows. That would have made it more interesting. I find it interesting that the children do look a bit like small grownups. I like the effect. I like that you tell a story, but yet the story is up to the viewer, while you, the artist, are just letting the images come from the brush onto the canvas. I prefer thinking of painting as telling a story. Ray Bradbury once remarked that he just writes. He doesn't bother to analyze what he is writing. He leaves the analysis up to the editors and readers. I like to approach my paintings like that as well. Great job on this. Lots of detail on a smaller canvas. KYRed :wave: I just read your biography and enjoy your being a self-taught artist. Kudos to you! :clap: Not poisoning yourself with too much input from teachers, etc. Like you, I enjoy mixing things up by using multiple mediums on many of my paintings. Looking forward to seeing more of your paintings. :thumbsup:

cbcarnell
12-03-2008, 01:05 AM
My first impression upon seeing this painting was "Flowers in the Attic". I like your limited palette - it helps to further convey the emotional qualities of your painting. I can honestly say that your painting could portray a wide variety of story lines involving the children, none of them happy stories - but a great painting none the less.

allanom
12-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Beautifully, oddly weird.

Thank-you...

Gemini IX
12-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi Alexj, Wow! What a great painting! It has so much to offer. The expressions certainly stir up some emotions. Fear,anger and sadness. Even the doll has something creepy to say. I like the lack of color, it really adds to the drama!

thomas w
12-03-2008, 08:12 AM
It's like the photographer grabbed the kids and said, "OK, we're taking a picture now!!" The kids look scared and the dolls mouth reflects that. If this was meant to be a horror graphic it certainly works. Well done.
Thomas W