PDA

View Full Version : The Otter

Jacqui Davenport
12-01-2008, 05:35 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2008/162312_The_Otter_by_Jacqui_Davenport.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Otter
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 16 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I love to draw, i am self taught any comments welcome

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I just want to know what you think of my work.

Corby
12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Jacqui, you have made an absolutely wonderful success of capturing the personality of this animal! Your work technically is good as well. Like all of us you are on a journey. The wonderful thing about the journey is that we never arrive! The joy is in the journey itself, not the measure of some destination. I make this point because I feel there are things you will yet address on this journey. The Values or tones, the aspect of light and dark in this are all pretty medium. The result is that we lose much of the beauty of the otter. Everything just blends together into a medium gray tone. Try and bring that fore ground water for example into a really dark and light contrast
of values. Give the foreground edge of the otter a really crisp line effect where his body emerges from the water. Elsewhere in the mid and back ground make these edges softer. This allows his figure to visually emerge upwards and toward us out of the water. The otters head you can play one of two ways. You can thrust it toward us visually by adding darker values to the water behind it (still lighter than the dark foreground values of the water)
or you can cause the head to come toward us and thus stand out better by really detailing the fur, eyes, whiskers, nose and so forth with nice crisp detail. This has the effect of making the head stand out against the existing light background of the water. You may wish to leave this as it is. It is very nice, and there are many works to come wherein you can apply values to enhance your work.
Oh. and be welcome! Nice to have you post here!

Jacqui Davenport
12-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Thank you Corby , i did this many years ago and it now lives with another after being hidden in an old art folder i will take on board all you have shared with me , thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and expertise
Jacqui