PDA

View Full Version : A group of cactus blooms

paintersanantone
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2008/161541_color_cactus.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A group of cactus blooms
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40 x60
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting I did awhile ago. Sorry but the canvas was not completely square and a little of the background shows.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I always wondered if I made the background too warm. I would appreciate any other suggestions.<br>Thanks<br><br>Terry

gaensanger
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Wow! This is perfectly done. I also like how you did the background! The work seems very exact. Maybe too near to a photo.

I like this painting a lot!

Corby
12-01-2008, 08:31 PM
One of the beautiful aspects of the cactus plant is how light plays softly across its flesh and filters through the translucent blossoms, and then we have the hard angularity and uncompromising regularity and patterning aspect of the spines...which can still collectively glow almost like a blossom themselves. It was created for dispensing the beauty of light! How could that aspect of it be painted better than this? I don't think it could.
I could wish the camera glare were absent so as to appreciate the quality of the light here even more...

tgsloth
12-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Boo on camera glare. Never use a flash. Expose the painting in oblique sunlight with your digital camera and you'll be fine.
The flowers are magnificently painted but the neutral brown background positions them in a studio environment instead of outside. You want a variegated background with clumps indicating other plants and fading with increasing blues and lights.

cbcarnell
12-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Don't like the glare, but I love the painting! The translucence in the petals, and the overall lighting in this is done extremely well. You've given this a wonderful feeling of depth, especially for a subject that has a relatively shallow depth of field. Very nicely done all around!

paintersanantone
12-02-2008, 01:33 PM
now That is a critique! Every one of you gave me something valuable to chew on and contemplate and maybe see clear to making the next ones better!
Thank you all very much.

Terry

Alexj
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
great work! love the lighting

paintersanantone
12-02-2008, 07:31 PM
tg sloth gave me the best advice, at least the one that went farther towards having an "ah ha " moment. He's right about that brown background putting them in the studio. Thanks Tgsloth!
And Alexi, thank you kindly.

thomas w
12-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, beautiful work.
Thomas W

paintersanantone
12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Bob, here is a cactus in it's natural setting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2008/161541-s_ranch.jpg