PDA

View Full Version : harvest

Londondeon
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2008/44933_class_assignment.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2008/44933_harvest_b_w.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2008/44933_harvest_tinted.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: harvest
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was a class project. I also worked along with the class so they could have an example. First they painted a "black" and a white value study using black made from other colors. I used Quin Rose and Phthalo Green.<br><br>Next they needed to paint a full color piece separate from the black and white. It was a great lea<br>ing experience for them on values.<br><br>I then tinted my black and white study with transparent oils. My tinted piece still needs some work on the cardboard box in the background.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This method is called the grisaille technique. Does anyone else use it? Have you posted any examples? It is like hand tinting a black and white photo. Kind of interesting and very different from my usual way of painting. Comments please

Corby
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
This is a very impressive work. I am aware of the process involved and the results are gorgeous, but I have never used it to any great degree. It goes against my ala prima sense of instant gratification.

tgsloth
12-01-2008, 11:00 PM
The quality of the painting is crazy-good. The composition is a bit jumbled with the text on the box providing the straw on the camel...

thomas w
12-03-2008, 08:33 AM
I like it alot. Great job.
Thomas W

Londondeon
12-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks: It is a good way to study values. I notice that Mikey has a posting of Grisaile.
Artlex dictionary says the following.
grisaille - A style of monochromatic painting in shades of gray, used especially for the representation of relief sculpture, or to simulate one. Achromatic painting. May refer to a gray underpainting, laid for subsequent color glazing. Also, a kind of paint which can be fired onto glass.

(pr. greez-eye', or griz-eye')

Anyway, I guess that few of you use this type of painting. I had hoped that there were some other examples that we could all see that used this method.
Londondeon

FULLOFFLOWERS
12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
This is really attractive : ) Nice work!!!

gaensanger
12-04-2008, 02:44 PM
This is beautiful. You choose a very good photo too!

silvenus
12-05-2008, 12:28 AM
I use this method - I have a couple of pics that I could post but I'm a new member and apparently I have to post two messages before I can post photos. As this is my second post, I'm hoping to be able to post with attachment later today.
Brian

Londondeon
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks Brian for putting the two pieces on. You should post them separately so everyone can see them and comment. Be sure to mention the processes used.. Welcome to the site. It is a fun place and we can learn many things here.

I am glad there there is someone there who uses the technique. I found that it really helped my students to do this. They now have a much better eye for evaluating light and dark.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I set up the still life and took the photo for the reference.

Londondeon

Spyderbabe
12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I moved silvenus to a thread of his own.

silvenus
12-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Sorry didn't realise I wasn't meant to post my pictures on another person's thread. Put it down to being a newbie....I should have read the instructions first.
In any event, I do like the harvest painting - wish I could do as well!
Brian