PDA

View Full Version : Still Life with Apples & Wine

fams
11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-30-2008/156450_Wine,_Apples___Basket.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still Life with Apples & Wine
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was done from life with artificial light coming from above and to the left.
I enjoy doing still life but I'm looking forward to doing landscapes outdoors.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
No specific question - I'd appreciate any constructive criticism.

ArtSuperhero
11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Very nice painting. I love the red blanket behind the red apples. You should be very happy. My only comments may be the result of my own likes but I would love to have seen more brush strokes and texture, especially in the background or table. There are tiny areas in the drawing ( both the bottle and glass are slightly disproportionate ) that would have been less noticeable with a little more looseness of style. Also the painting reads as a “set up” posed still life all the way down to the studio light reflections on the apple and the wall directly behind the basket. Here again a more looser style would have warmed up the setting. These are only my opinion and I only offer these up because I see how good you are and know that you are a few paintings away from great things.

thomas w
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Excellent painting. I love the style and composition.
Thomas W

Dana Design
12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
My only comment on this beautiful painting would be "EDGES". Softening some of the edges especially on the items going away from the viewer would increase the drama of this painting and hold the eye more easily.

Other than that, well done!

konsu
12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
hello,

I think this is a good work. one thing is that when i just looked at it for the first time, i noticed some errors in perspective in the bottle and the glass. now that I got "used" to the painting, I cannot see them that much anymore. :)

cheers
konstantin

aquarianpaintress
12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi, fams! This is lovely, and scrumptuous! The colors of the apples are particularly delightful. The whole thing makes me want to sit down, sip of the wine and eat of the fruit!

Corby
12-11-2008, 01:50 AM
I am glad to see this again on its own as I have been able to give it more attention. I do feel myself as has been stated above that it speaks of a studio setup. The calculated feel of the placement of the two apples out of basket really emphasizes this. Compositionally it would probably benefit from the places being switched with the right hand apples placement and the wine glass and then adding the right hand apple back, positioning it behind the wine bottle. Dana mentioned lines and edges. I had previously commented on the basket handle. It is visually intrusive and there are other hard lines as well. I have put an 'X' in yellow on them. softening these lines will bring you more depth and visual reality. The edges play a part in that they tend to be tangential, I have marked three of them with white 'X's. The painting is quite beautiful, small adjustments here would give it a finishing touch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2008/70790-156450_Wine,_Apples___Basket.jpg

fams
12-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone,
Thank you all for your comments. They are valued and appreciated.
I will keep them in mind as I start my next painting.

Spyderbabe
12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
We look forward to seeing it here!