PDA

View Full Version : Honey Bee - Did I Cheat

TinaC
11-30-2008, 12:21 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-29-2008/117326_IMG_3613_1_3_2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Honey Bee - Did I Cheat
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9 x 7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I had some leftover paint and a friend who was talking about Purple Honey. I photoshoped the reference (cant remember which filter) then just copied it straight off in about half an hour. It was pretty easy and got me started with the pallete knife but...........

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
............is it cheating?

greensyster
11-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Painting is like playing golf I often think. If you cheat, you only cheat yourself.

I imagine you wanted to see what you could do with the knife - right? Tis a far far better thing you do to copy and image for your knife escapade than run out into the streets and carve obscenities into an innocent tree. :)

tgsloth
11-30-2008, 08:53 AM
I think this is an excellent little painting and done in an hour, it has a great return on investment. The bee is busy, the colors are alive, yet limited and the value range is terrific. The only cheating I can see is that your image is small and seems a bit out of focus so we can't better enjoy your creation.

TinaC
12-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Sometimes things happen when you stop trying so hard. Yes, Greensyster I was playing with a knife in a most harmless way, and that if for no other reason made it a worthwhile excercise. Thank you for you commentsTgsloth but what you like about the painting was in the original photo so I wont take any credit as it wasnt mine and you have therefore answered my question.

The thing is, people liked this painting done with so little planning or thought and it occured to me I could knock 'em out pretty easily if thats all it took. My view is that its a useful learning tool, saved some of the artists job of squinting, simplifying etc., and got me straight into experimenting with the paint in this instance. Its just a bit disheartening when ones less original efforts are met with far more enthusiasm than the worthy attempts one sweats blood over! What do 'people' know anyway?

tgsloth
12-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I spent a semester in an advanced painting class at our local University. There were about 15 art majors (I was considered a "visiting graduate student", as I'd been to college) and there was all kinds of paintin' and critiquin' going on. After a time we noticed that in many cases, the best paintings were the ones that were knocked out quickly rather than labored over. The professor came to call this the "ten minute rule." So the bee is perhaps another example.

At a workshop, the instructor said as follows: "if you spend 2 months doing a painting, you might make a fine painting and even sell it but you will learn nothing. If you want to learn, complete the painting the same day."