PDA

View Full Version : "MAGOG SUNSET #1"

foggy20020
11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-29-2008/24952_2008_1113sunset0008cropadj.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "MAGOG SUNSET #1"
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the view from my front yard. Wonderful sunsets, and I've tried to paint them before. This is the first one that I'm kind of satisfied with. I did have trouble blending the acrylic paint into the clouds and didn't achieve the appearance of the clouds glowing with color. There was just the blue sky color on the lake, but I added some of the sunset colors to it to make it more believable.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Constructive critiques and suggestions are most welcome.

Dana Design
11-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Actually, the clouds DO glow with the sunset colors and is very nice, but rather than using the bright yellow, perhaps mixing in some of the orange underneath the clouds would add to this.

The blue of the sky is good!

Corby
11-29-2008, 03:43 PM
excellent! What if I may ask is the source of title?

foggy20020
11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Thankyou for your comments. The view is across Lake Memphremagog in Derby Vermont. Wonderful sunsets that I have enjoyed all my life.

KYRed
11-29-2008, 10:51 PM
But Magog? Is this a Biblical reference? If so I would like to know more about it. Nice work on the rough edges, sort of serrated, on the bushes/trees at the bottom. I was thinking a hint of orange on those edges would look great. KYRed.

foggy20020
11-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh. It's the american Indian name for the lake, so not a reference to "Gog and Magog". Infact the town at the Canadian end of the lake is Magog. The locals often just shorten the name of the lake to Magog. from Wikopedia "The name Memphremagog is derived from Algonkian, in which it means "where there is a big expanse of water".
Thanks for the input, I think I'll try it in another sunset.