GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Odd couple
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12X9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This a small piece of a lovely foto I saw on the Still Life forum.
This is a 2 hr allla alla prima I did as a break from a longer project.
I was attracted by the colors and the story of the two cherries.
Like so many people, their stems touch only in the shadows.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

cbcarnell
11-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Bill - I was just getting ready to sign off for the night, and decided to look at one more post here. Sure glad that I did - I love this! I noticed right away that only the stem shadows touched, and they also form a heart shape with the real stems. The blue-green works so well with those red cherries. The whole thing is just a delight! A Valentine of sorts.

tgsloth
11-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Done with brio but there are some oddities to my eye:
The light blue swath of light in which sits the leftmost guy seems artificial on the table, and if this illumination were to show up why would there be partial shadowing along straight lines top and bottom?
The shadow of the right wing cherry is red at the base but the shadow of the left wing cherry is red at the top. Is this some sort of political statement?

billmahler
12-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks to those who looked and commented.

Good points, TG.

I'm still working on that large project, and this little set up keeps pulling me back for a break, so I tried another version.

I like the tension and the simplicity.

Here's version II.

12x9
Oil on canvas.

If that big project continues at its current pace, there will probably be a version III.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2008/111636-oddcouple2.jpg

Spyderbabe
12-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Elegant Bill. Just elegant.
do you see the heart in the shadow?

why am I reminded of the little monks - and did they become the Christmas card?

billmahler
12-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks, Kathleen
do you see the heart in the shadow?

Yes, my wife spotted that heart. Coincidentally, Jane Seymour has been doing commercials for a piece of jewelery she designed called "Open Heart" where the top of the heart is open, and that recalled this set up to me.

The Hummel Choir boys will be the card.

Corby
12-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Bill I always have the wish to take one of these and frame it in the widest most
richly detailed frame I can find...something that presents it as a fine jewel. They are. The related family members here have an earthyness that is so appealing, and this is just so polished, it makes your eyes shine. Gooood work!

allanom
12-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Elegant Bill. Just elegant.

Yeah, yeah, that second one. A minor miracle....

tali
12-06-2008, 02:13 AM
What a treat! I love it how in number 2 they are drawing closer to each other…I do hope you do a number 3, and can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with!

billmahler
12-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks, all for looking and for your kind words.

These two cherries so perked up my wife, who's been ailing, that we made a last minute switch and used them as our Christmas card.

It's not a traditional scene, but she likes it and that's more important right now.

Here's the face of the card:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2008/111636-2008card.jpg

Doing the cards is fun, if a bit pricey- we mail about 75 cards. The envelopes were the most expensive item- $.50 each at Staples.
The card stock, envelopes and ink came to about $.65 per card. Next year I'll shop more and get that price down a lot.

I scanned our signatures so that they look hand inscribed inside.

The grandsons came over today to do the inserting, sealing and stamping and they're in the mail.

RedTerra
12-07-2008, 08:36 PM
They are both wonderful, and the second one the left cherry really looks delicious, but overall I have to say I do prefer the first painting for its looser brushwork and lively stems.
RedTerra

MRSBB
12-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Bill. I really like this second version of the cherries and glad your wife chose it for your Christmas card. I know it would cheer me up. Maybe I'm a bit like your wife in that I find the Holidays very depressing. That too will pass. Keep having fun..................Lenore

billmahler
12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks, Red and Lenore for looking and commenting
first painting for its looser brushwork
Yes, the first one is a lot looser -too loose I thought,- so I tried to tighten things up with the second without losing too much of the spontaneity. I was more deliberate with my strokes, but was careful to make only one stoke and leave it.

tony1
12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Just great, I like the second version better. I like how you introduced the blue on the cherry on the left. Excellent.

Spyderbabe
12-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Great choice - it will be a memorable card for everyone who is lucky enough to be on your mailing list!

wanabepainter
12-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Wow,....so simple, but strong.
I like it!

lunchbox
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Bill, had only time for one or two - glad I picked this one - colors...perfecto!!