PDA

View Full Version : Indian Pipe

Becky Foster
11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-28-2008/59857_Copy_of_Indian_Pipe_-_12x9_-_oil_pastel_on_canvas_-_11-07.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Indian Pipe
Year Created:
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I hadn't used oil pastels in a while when I made this and it was a struggle to remember my techniques, etc,...challenging.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The subject matter's a bit obscure...does it work? Any c & c's very welcome.

Corby
11-28-2008, 08:32 PM
(Monotropa uniflora) Absolutely beautiful! There is a pale almost translucent white variety...maybe that is the reason for an alternative common name: The ghost plant.

My monitor indicates a scumbled type of background in this. I think it enriches the flowers. If however it were graded from lighter at the top to darker at the bottom, it would perhaps un-flatten the image and make the flowers appear to stand upright in a three dimensional setting?
This is really nice BeckyT, do you as a rule do botanical studies?

Dana Design
11-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Quite serence and beautiful. I like it because of it's monochromatic style.

Becky Foster
11-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Corby - Thanks, glad you know this plant - one of my favorites. I have a so-so photo program and I've had a hard time getting a good image of this painting...I've attached another try because irl the painting looks more delicate and transparent and paler (my main goals in portraying this flower) and it's frustrating to not be able to capture it on the computer (I have that problem often!). Oh, and it doesn't seem as though I do anything "as a rule" :cat: but I do enjoy painting the little things I find in the woods.

Dana - Thanks for the feedback! Glad you like it.

Take care and thanks again,
Becky

Gemini IX
11-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Hi Becky, I like this a lot. Nicely done!

greensyster
12-01-2008, 04:12 AM
If there were not a place in the world for such little masterpieces, we would have to make one :) Delightful!

AndyfromVienna
12-01-2008, 07:09 AM
beautiful in its simplicity. youre proving that less is more. congrats!!!!!

Andy