PDA

View Full Version : The Veon Farm

walt curlee
11-28-2008, 02:58 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-28-2008/77745_VeonFarm-72dpi.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-28-2008/77745_VeonFarm-72dpi-zoom.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Veon Farm
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16'x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Just finished this one yesterday. 16"x20" oil on stretched canvas. As a little girl, my wife Vicki spent her summers on her grandparentís West Virginia farm. This painting shows her grandparents, parents, her in the creek and her brother on the bank. The wash shed and root cellar are in back of the house, barn
acrossed the creek and chicken coop farther back. The privy was back in the hollow. After finishing she informed me they actually had a two hole privy (oh well).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments, thoughts.

Thanks, Walt

Becky Foster
11-28-2008, 04:03 PM
WOW. Perfect, no critiques from me. I love everything about it, especially the arched evergreens that match the clouds.

How inspiring, thanks!
Becky

tony1
11-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Just great. Love the style. For some reason I like the cropped version better. There's nothing wrong with the sky, I just like the feel of the cropped version. Excellent.

Corby
11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Memories of the heart...beautifully remembered.

tgsloth
11-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Benton lives again. The technique is just fabulous and the compositional device of putting the branch in the foreground is wildly inventive and works great. The way you depicted the stream road and fence in a straight line gives me the feeling of a suburban scene rather than a farm scene. If not intended, this could be considered a point of criticism because if more curved forms were used the feeling of a farm would perhaps be evoked more strongly.

gaensanger
11-29-2008, 10:17 AM
This is a wonderful painting, I hope you show us more of them!

Dana Design
11-29-2008, 11:29 AM
If you haven't all seen walt's work, you can do a search here on WC for more.

Walt, your work is just amazing! And I was excited to see your new addition to WC. Just beautiful. It's always such a pleasure to crawl inside your paintings and explore them. Thank you for sharing them with us!

gaensanger
11-30-2008, 05:01 AM
Thank you dana, I had a look to Walt's work and I have to say that I like it so much.The wonderful colours and the very own style, great! Walt, your work is stunning!

Gemini IX
11-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi Walt, This is really nice! It kind of looks like the viewer is looking through a fisheye lens. The colors are beautiful! I love the story that it has to tell. I could look at this all day. The perspective is amazing! The cows on the hill are great!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ReineBlanche2
11-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Excellent work - and I prefer the full painting over the cropped version.

walt curlee
11-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on my painting.

mburrell
12-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Mr Curlee,
It's a pleasure to see so well a crafted work. I enjoyed the rhythms and twisted perceptive. The little mini scenes keeps me looking.
The un-cropped version with the beautiful sky is great, but the perceptive of the fence line and canal leads one to the empty bridge. If you keep this size you may want to put something on the bridge to focus on or to redirect attention back to the people in the yard. In the cropped version the two women are strong enough to pull my attention from the bridge. with such a complicated composition every change has to be considered carefully maybe doing it digitally first. Wonderful work, yours Mike

missbee
12-15-2008, 01:29 AM
This is gorgeous! You really do want to walk inside this painting!Also I really do like the first version better,the sky adds so much to the whole piece.:clap:

ejtupi
12-15-2008, 02:46 AM
There's no way to critique something that has staked another piece of your own special territory. Tremendous shifts in perspective, surprising color choices, and the mix of realistic and fanciful details make this a picture that demands repeated views...well, that and the fact that it's just fun to look at.

mburrell
12-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I was looking at your piece again trying to figure away to stop the power of the fence so I played with it. I'm not a digital painter so you're going to have to forgive my crudeness of technique. I added a flower the stem reflects your rhythms I also added a figure to pull a little more interest to the people. I shaded the edge of the yard behind the house to knock down the space and add your rhythm I also added a shade to back corner of house shade rounding it out. The trees on the hill are a little hot so I used your grass color to de-saturate them and the plowed field a little. I also darken the water from the group of people back to lay it down some. Your stuff is so good it is hard to critique I hope this gives you food for thought.
Mikehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2008/158887-VeonFarm-72dpi2.jpg