PDA

View Full Version : untitled (walking the ocean)

La_
11-27-2008, 12:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-27-2008/84648_untitled_woman_with_a_string.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-27-2008/84648_untitled_woman_d.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: untitled (walking the ocean)
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
an ongoing fight against disaster ... lesson lea<br>ed on how *not* to prime masonite

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
i see her eyes are wonky and will fix that .... any other thoughts, ideas, whatever welcomed = )

Corby
11-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I understand 'technical difficulties' I create them for myself all the time! I don't see anything too amiss about the eyes. I like her dignified serene expression. I do not understand the allusion to walking the ocean...I see the presence of water, but because of the surrounding nebulous suggestion of...canvas tenting?...And then the supporting pole and the line under her feet as if it were a 'high wire', I keep going back to the idea of the 'Big Top'. That is an added bonus to the visual beauty of your work LA, you always give it to us in riddles!

La_
11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
sigh ... yeah ... all those tent poles are a confusion ... i'll explain a bit -- she's gone the gambit from evil incarnate to boring as a dish rag ... i began in acrylic (on masonite) for the under painting and switched to oils too soon - much soaked in, stained, and now is slippery as silk with little to no binding ability - Don't try this at home!

now she's toned down to some level of sexy pleasantville and the board has a decent coverage ... IRL the cross over area of 'poles' has a separation ... supposedly to help signify a criss cross of docking pole and a flat 'cube' of 'ocean' butting up against it - i'll clarify that a bit more ... she is upon a 'high wire' of sorts, between the water and land, perched for landing ... the rope must be tied to another dock somewhere - have to get imaginative when i get lines that will Not cover ; )

anyway, thanks for your thoughts corby, helps alot : )

la

Spyderbabe
11-28-2008, 10:45 AM
la, what is going on behind her ear? Is it an earring or the hair?
I think the length of her upper arm is too short.
I think you can bring this along to he the way you want it to be.

tgsloth
11-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I think this is one of your very best (I know I said that about the last one too; you're on a roll)
It's a clinic on getting away with no highlights and hardly any darks but don't try this at home kids. The muted, mated colors are masterful.
And you often paint women who are interesting looking but so willowy as to be a bit non-human. This one's a stone babe.

KYRed
11-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Her left eye does bother me a bit. That's what I noticed first off when seeing the close up. It looks like her left iris is much bigger than her right iris. Not being derogatory, however. I have spent considerable time sitting in malls and watching people. Oh, how many "imperfect" people abound in this world. Me being one of them. My left eye is just a narrow slit while my right is more open. And my left ear is bigger than my right ear. lol. Nice lips on this woman. I like the wide nose as well. The better to smell pherenomes perhaps? Okay. I will quit. KYRed

La_
11-30-2008, 02:16 PM
spyder, earring? hair? dunno, whatever it looks most like ; ) ... arm - dang, will look closely at that, thanks for the vote of confidence on good changes, the slimey slick surface/binding problem may or may not allow for much : )

thanks tg, when you win the lottery you just let me know and i'll give ya a private tour of my gallery so you can surround yourself with all these 'masterful' pieces :D

ky, perfectly symetrical people are a freak of nature and will not stand the test of time ! i will fix this girlies eyes tho, thanks

la