PDA

View Full Version : Angel

brushoff
11-26-2008, 11:35 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-26-2008/135502_Shell_Angel.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Angel
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Having been raised on the ocean and now living far away, I am often recalled to my past.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does she need to be grounded?

lunchbox
11-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi brushoff, welcome to wetcanvas.
I like the pearl quality to the painting.
Not sure what you mean by grounded but perhaps the lady's dress could blend more or follow the curves of the beautiful shell behind her.

Corby
11-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi Brushoff! I too really like the pearly quality you have painted into that shell. It is quite beautiful and convincing! The painting works well enough as is. The painting would work as well if the figures were grounded...

But how about considering something else. I am imagining that you have this beautiful shell...you may or may not have the figurine. You thought:"Why don't I paint the shell and put an 'angel of the shell' in front of it!" You did that and did a nice job of it. You might though have taken note of the importance of abstract subject matter. I don't mean abstracting your images but rather have an idea about them. In this case for example you could have decided that you were going to use the items, but your painting was going to be about opalescent glow and the brilliant highlights of glass, both emphasized in a dark reflective background.

You end up with the same images, the same painting, but due to the idea behind it, it will come across as having more to say or give to us. Do you see what I mean? :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2008/70790-135502_Shell_Angel.JPG

brushoff
11-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Oh yes, thank you, thank you and thank you again. These are the finishing touches it really needs!!!

P.S. I have both the shell and the angel.

brushoff
01-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Here's one with recommended changes.