GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: By The Sea
Year Created: 2001
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the last in this Cape Cod series. This painting of Old Cape Cod was inspired by some old photos and postcards.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The fence covered with roses gave me some trouble. Now in looking at it, I think I may have overdone it with the roses However I have seen overgrown roses like this, I just don't know if it fits in with the painting. I may have to de-rose somr of it. I also think that I need a little more shadows here and there.

DantesDaughter
08-03-2002, 05:29 PM
The clouds look amazing. I can't paint them nearly that well. The rose bushes, I LOVE them! I also like the blue that you added by the house. Are they flowers? I can't quite tell because it's a photograph. The windows and door on the front of the house also turned out incredible.

Will roses grow in sand so well? (I know absolutely nothing about plants) The bushes look like they are full of life, and I more imagine a thriving green yard between the fence and the house. The driveway looks amazing.

The windmill looks very gray compared to everything else. I think it needs a few darker tones and bits of color to match the house. Some roses might look nice splattered around it to compliment the other bushes, but that's just a matter of opinion. The (don't know what you call it)... things that spin around on the windmill.... (laughs at herself) ... They look like they could be a bit too long to turn and not hit the ground. (mostly the one on the left)

The body of water on the right... is that a seperate lake, or is it part of the ocean? The colors look a little different, perhaps you used a different blue.

This is a great painting! Keep up the good work :clap:

JustjoGA
08-03-2002, 05:31 PM
I like the whole thing just as it is...

DantesDaughter
08-03-2002, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I nit-picked it to death, but I DO really like it! :)

ElizaLeahy
08-03-2002, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't remove the roses! I think that's part of the charm of the picture. As you say, you have seen some overgrown like this.

I think it's lovely just the way it is.

Art Guy
08-03-2002, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the input, its great to "talk" to fellow artists. studied art for six years, but now I am out of the art world.....work takes up too much time. Anyway, thanks :)