PDA

View Full Version : Untitled (shed/tree/fence)

pracht
08-03-2002, 01:32 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-03-2002/10652_P8030057.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled (shed/tree/fence)
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 44-1/4x32
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
No comments.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any suggestions for improving this piece? The background is too busy, isn't it?

jolie
08-04-2002, 06:16 AM
i like the feeling of this piece, but i agree with you that the background is too busy. it should have a softer feel, but right now it seems a bit broken up.

also, this could just be me, because i don't like things to be too symmetrical...i'd rather see the tree off-center. it looks like it's smack dab in the center of the painting.

overall, i think it's a nice piece...the shed and fence look great and i get the feeling of snow, especially piled up next to the fence. i really like the palette that you've chosen and think once you soften the sky it will have a much calmer appearance...love that blue, just not the way it's broken up.

if you're going to rework it can you show us the updated version, please?

jolie

Sandra B
08-04-2002, 07:36 AM
I like the way you have conveyed a moonlit night. I would blue down the bright greens a tad, as you would need more daylight to get these bright colors. I get the feeling of snow too, but then the tree would not have full (green) foliage if it were winter. Maybe a little shadow on the shed as your light source has the shaddow of the fenceposts going in that direction. The tree should shadow the shed a bit on the viewers left. An easier fix would be to change the posts shadows to concur with the existing shadow of the tree (angled down to the viewers left)

henrik
08-04-2002, 08:12 AM
A major culprit is the shed; is it behind or infront of the tree? Looking at the bottom it looks like it is behind, but looking at the top it seems to overlap part of a branch. The perspective is off, and there is something funny going on with the roof - it looks like it goes futher down on the side closest to us; the other side is sort of missing...

I think you need to establish the relationship between the tree and the shed more firmly.

Sky is ok IMO.