PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Sunshine

Journeyman
11-26-2008, 08:46 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-26-2008/95424_Autumn_Sunshine.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Autumn Sunshine
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a Plein Air painting with a bit of adjustment to the foreground when I got it home. The dark shadow has more variation of colour and detail than the photo shows.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any overall critique would be appreciated. My own feeling is that my use of colour and brush work needs a lot more thought so any tips in that direction would be appreciated..
:wave: Dave

PS This is intended for the “Structured Critique Forum” could someone please move it? Thanks :)

Zoep
11-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey Dave, just stumbled across this..looks wonderful to me, very calm feeling about it. I can't offer a structured critique but I like it:)!!!

Dana Design
11-26-2008, 12:01 PM
This is a difficult painting to critique because I don't see a lot wrong with it. There's a very nice sense of depth, a nice avenue for the eye to travel, and the proportion of the flora is good. I don't understand what that dark thing is lower right. That stops my eye and whatever it is, it's unnecessary.

The darkness in the lower left doesn't make a lot of sense as it's not connected to anything else (such as a tree, bush, etc. I.e., where is that shadow coming from?

I'll copy this to Structured per your request.

Journeyman
11-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi Zoe thanks for the nice comments :)
Thanks Dana the dark on the lower left is rocks and heather. The large cast shadow is from my friends garage which is just out of the picture, it made sense to me, but of cause would not to people just viewing the painting thanks for that :)
:wave: Dave