PDA

View Full Version : Now I only need three stinkin' colors! Aussie Mega

tali
11-25-2008, 10:42 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-25-2008/140629_grahamcolor.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Now I only need three stinkin' colors! Aussie Mega
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 9 by 12 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am moving in on the finish with Graham (for the portrait swap), sorry for all the glare, sopping wet would be an understatement, so I had to blur it a little to get rid of all the hightlights. I decided to stick with the very limited palette and was finally able to mix a few neutrals! Colors used are cad yellow light, magenta, and (surprise!) phthalo green blue shade, with white. One of the fun things about being a beginner is that for all my portraits so far I have used different techniques! Graham is my smallest portrait, but with a BIG attitude! I finally got the nerve to paint a portrait with a palette knife!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How'd I do? The beard was the biggest challenge as it really confused me with the values. I had to squint a ot (LOL as you can tell! :)) All c&c's welcome. I can probably do a little tweaking for the next day or so while the paint is still wet.

Bright Eyes
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
OOOhhoohooohHHOooo! This is nice! Just when I thought you couldn't out do your "accidental" value study you throw this one on us! I really like the way you got the hat to "pop out" in the upper right hand corner. I don't know why but I really like that spot. I think he might need just an extra dab of sunshine/shadow on the left shoulder. You have done an amazing job of getting the shadow/light going throughout the painting but that spot doesn't seem to be either. Oh, ya, you need to sign it:D

maw-t
11-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Tali, I already commented ( if that's what one could call such a reaction) in the swap thread.. I am BLOWN away by this!I love it, I want to hang in my house and I dont even know the man!! I cannot find a thing I would change... Yes sign it!!

greensyster
11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Well speaking as an Australian and knowing the difficulties in catching an Aussie bloke, I gotta say this. And dont go getting me wrong please. But
I am NEVER letting you anywhere near my fella cos you can capture like no one else! :clap: :clap: :clap: Graham is a fine portrait artists himself and I think this one when he receives it will have a favoured place on his wall. Funnily enough you have done it in the 'colours' of Western australia by the sea - there is a light there like no where else. Bravo (and I am not just saying that cos you are my next victim either)

cbcarnell
11-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Tali, this is AMAZING. It is so full of character, life, and energy.

Corby
11-26-2008, 04:15 AM
There are really no words that address the beauty and realism of this. It is the way I see Graham in my own minds eye from having experienced his own painting over the years. Tali...how COULD you get better than this.

bluewindfisher
11-26-2008, 04:23 AM
Delicious, Tali. :) What a fabulous feast! :clap: :clap:
I love the bold impressionist approach and the dappled light is perfect.
I love it as a "work of art" as well as a portrait of me.
I feel very lucky to be the recipient, and thank you soooo much. :)

Regards
Graham

Lulu
11-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Wow, this is so alive!! both in palette and subject matter. Love the way you've captured the heat of the sun on his face. Fantastic work, I am in awe!

tgsloth
11-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Dittos to all above
Your previous monocolor treatment was much admired by the forum. I thought it was pretty good but I was less taken than the other commenters. So what strikes me here is the unworldly improvements you've made moving from the monocolor. Alaska may become too small to contain you.

thomas w
11-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Awesome!
Thomas W

Busik12
11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Tali, I think that this work is great!

The only thing I see (and I don't know if this is a problem, it just came to me as I was looking at it) is that the lower right corner needs to be a bit darker than the left one, and all others for that matter.

Spyderbabe
11-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Tali - great job!!

JR1
11-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Its amazing what you can do with a pallet knife! I can tell you had fun painting this....it shows.
You said the beard gave you the biggest challenge....well, you pulled it off. Fine job there, Tali.

JR

tali
11-28-2008, 04:51 AM
Thank you all so much for the generous comments and encouragement! Yes, youíve made my head so big that I could hardly walk out the door for our Thanksgiving feast! And to make things worse, your encouragement helped give me some confidence to post a verbose (yet instructive) portrait WIP. Thanks again! And lest you forget, my dear friend Bob, Alaska IS the largest state in the US, followed by Texas, of course, so if Alaska is too small (which I take as a huge compliment from you), then where? ;)

I am considering very carefully about BrightEyes and SUNDUís remarks and agree with both. All of the darker values dried quicker than I expected, so if I decide to retouch it, it will most likely have to be an entire new layer. While I am not afraid to do that, I am wondering if the errors detract enough from the painting to take the risk of losing the spontaneity and liveliness that is so important to this particular piece. While I generally donít do portraits by committee, any thought or experiences regarding the subject are appreciated and will certainly be considered.

Caroline P
01-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Tali, I am humbled that you commented on my Jean painting, when I see this masterpiece, it is absolutely stunning, superbly painted. No words really, just love it!!

kevinwueste
01-03-2009, 02:25 AM
I like ! i have nothing critique-wise that I know how to add. nice work!

Anita Murphy
01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I just coming back to this and thinking how great it is! Superb, Tali, inspirational!

varna
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm only a novice so don't post often But this image is awesome!!!! I can't stop lookingGREAT!

bpc
01-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Tali...that is absolutely beautiful..reminds me of an Ernest Hemingway type character....only 9 by 12..what a shame...make it huge so we can enjoy it even more hugely.

flybax
01-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I love the texture of the palette knife and and how you captured the light.
If you decide to add to the lower right corner, which I think is unnecessary since you already have some of your darkest values there, will you re-post so we can see the finish? Great job.
robin

Gemini IX
01-04-2009, 07:05 AM
GREAT JOB! lOVE THE TEXTURE. It is very colorful for only 3 stinkin' colors!:thumbsup: :cool::thumbsup:

MRSBB
01-04-2009, 02:03 PM
This is such eye candy Tali. I don't even know the Bluefisher, but I would be honored to hang this one. Graham, I hope you know you have been captured by one of our finest here on Wet Canvas. Reminds me of the song, "Nobody does it better". Just great Tali. Keep having fun...........Lenore

cbcarnell
01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
This is just phenomenal, Tali. You rock!

tali
01-06-2009, 05:20 AM
How nice to come back to WC! and read such encouraging comments! Thank you so much! I just heard from Graham and his paintings have arrived safe and sound. I did a value study that ended up really nice, so I sent him that as well. The value study is larger that the painting! :) I'm hoping he'll post a photo with the painting so we can see if I got a good likeness.