PDA

View Full Version : Invitation! Exploring Soft Pastel Class: Portrait and Figure Fundamentals

DAK723
11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I am pleased to announce that the next Exploring Soft Pastels class is about to begin on Monday, December 1st, 2008. Watch for it (probably not until the evening, Eastern Time, USA, as my employer probably wants me to go to work that day) in the Soft Pastel Talk forum. My name is Don Ketchek (a.k.a. DAK723) and I will be your teacher/host in a class I am calling Portrait and Figure Fundamentals. I use the word “teacher/host” because with all the talented folks on WetCanvas, my hope is we will all learn from one another.

I am a firm believer in learning the fundamentals, so our emphasis will be on the basics. And hopefully, we will prove that FUNdamentals can be FUN (or at least makes a good slogan)!

Hopefully, even if you have some experience in drawing or painting portraits or figures, you will join in and participate. You might pick up a few tips, learn a thing or two that you didn’t know, or share with us some of your observations and methods. And while these classes will start with the basics, it is my hope and intent to include some painting “experiments” to enhance the basic lessons for those with more experience.

There is obviously a lot of material to cover with both portraits and figures as our topic. The plan for this classroom is to have a new “chapter” approximately every month. We will begin by focusing on the individual features of the face – eyes, nose, mouth, ears and hair. Due to the amount of material, we will split this first chapter into two lessons – Lesson 1: The Eyes and Nose, and Lesson 2: The Mouth (and More).

Participation:

Everyone is welcome – no sign up needed. You can lurk, you can participate with posts, you can start now, you can start later, you can use this information purely for reference – whatever you want. You can do the exercises without posting, but then you will not get my encouragement or my advice! I will comment on your work only in the classroom thread so that everyone can benefit.

If you don’t do any of the practice exercises or post in lesson 1, there is no reason you can’t join in during lesson 2. Or even further down the road.

Please work at your own pace. There is no advantage to finishing first!

Materials you will need:

For lesson 1, you will need only a handful of pastels. We will be concentrating on value studies with some experimentation with warm and cool contrasts. You will need 4 or 5 different values of something in the “flesh color” range. A range of 4 or 5 values in a cool color like green, blue or violet would be helpful as well.

Here are the “flesh” colors I used:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2008/82335-invite-01-pastels.JPG

Here are a few violets and blues that I used, as well:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2008/82335-invite-02_cools.JPG

I used a few greens also, but as you can see, you don’t need a lot of pastels for class #1.

We will be doing studies and practice pieces, so please save your really good paper for “real” paintings. If you have scraps, or papers that you don’t want to use because they have been bent or dented – those will be perfect! I am using mid-value grayish toned paper, which I think is the easiest to use for portraits and figures, but you can really use any paper at all. When I was in college, we used newsprint and brown “wrapping” paper. Those would be fine.

Since this is a class of fundamentals, this is the place to start if you are one of the many pastellists who does landscapes or still lifes, but has never tried portraits or figures. If you are new to this subject – come join me – and don’t worry! I was a beginner once and remember how it was. Some will say that my work is still not that far from beginner level, so I am sure no one will feel intimidated!!

Hope to see you here, starting December 1st!!

Don

Colorix
11-25-2008, 05:58 PM
:clap:

Looking forward to it!

Charlie

robertsloan2
11-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Don, this sounds great! While I'm already pretty good with portraits, I'm still struggling to grow with figure drawing and could always use more practice even on what I think I already know. I've found out twice now in these classes that I can start out thinking I'm pretty good and feel like a beginner again on the first exercise.

Maybe this class will help me do better at capturing small beloved moving subjects, my grandkids. Love the palette, that is so familiar it makes me smile! I might get out my Yarka set for this one, since it has such beautiful earth tones and flesh tones. Or just pick out some Rembrandts.

I'm loving creating practice paper by painting over watercolor paper with Colourfix primer, but I've also got plenty of Canson Mi-Tientes to use too. Would it be all right to use sanded paper if I've got the lazy-cheap way to do lots of it?

Judibelle
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
WOW what a great opportunity! I have never done portraits and my figures have been mostly gesture drawings...so I am looking forward to participating and learning. Thank you for this opportunity!
JB

Deborah Secor
11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
I'll try to scare up a way to take part, too! No promises, but I'd sure like to join in! Thanks for doing this, Don. It takes a lot of time--we all appreciate it.

Deborah

robert_n
11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
count me in!

Constellation
11-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Gee! Thank You! this sounds wonderful!.... I'm in Mountain time.,.. western US, can you give us a little more specific a time please? Just an eastern time or something that we can shoot for.... I really want to participate in this and thank you so much!!!!.....Donna R.

Judy Manuche
11-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Don, I can hardly wait...I just quit my weekly portrait class because I had hit a wall and was going in circles...when the Lord closes a door, somewhere he opens a window! I am very interested in cool vs. warm and its relationship to portraits. Somehow, my teacher who spoke little English never could explain that concept to me. Thanks!

Lisa Fiore
11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Yay!! I'm so happy to see this!! I've been working on a portrait of my daughter, and while I'm pretty happy with the black & white "value study" I did, I'm pretty much at a loss when it comes to laying in color--I don't want it to look "cartoony," and I'm struggling... Thank you for taking the time to do this-- I am really, really looking forward to participating and learning!! :)

lpb
11-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I am new to both portraits and pastels, and will try to take part. I have a suggestion, based on how we organize the class threads in the watercolor forum. We have one thread for the "lesson" in which only the instructor/host posts. Then there is a second thread for "homework" in which participants post their comments, questions, and results. This makes it easier to find the original "instructional" posts without wading through pages and pages of other comments. It has worked really well so maybe you'll want to consider it!

terri66
11-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Sounds good to me. Looking forward to the experience.

DAK723
11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Charlie: Thanks! Hopefully I can do as good a job as you have done in your classroom!

Robert S: You can use any paper you want. There will be nothing "paper specific" in any of my techniques. Look forward to you insights, since, if I remember correctly, you've done portraits professionally.

Judibelle: Thank you for your interest. I hope you will get something out of the class!

Deb: Yes, it does take up a lot of time, but it should be fun and we will all learn something, I hope! (including yours truly).

Robert_N: Your in!

Donna R: This thread will be ongoing and my exact starting time will depend on how long it takes to post! But it makes no difference if you start Dec. 1st or Dec. 15th. The thread will be here, I will be here and our progression will move at a leisurely rate, I'm sure!

Judy: Glad you are joining us. Your former instructor may have understood warm vs. cool better than I, but I speak English fairly well, so hopefully it will all work out!

Elizabeth: Glad you are looking forward to the class. I hope it meets your expectations!

lpq: I will forward your suggestion to the moderators, since they are the ones in charge!

terri66: Glad to have you aboard!

Hope I didn't miss anyone who has responded so far. I am feeling your enthusiasm!

Don

mrking
11-25-2008, 08:40 PM
oo this is going to be nice. i've wanted to do more portrait work. Thanks for starting with the fundamentals. Weeeeeeeeeeee.

captive_artience
11-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I participated in the portrait swap over in Portrature this year (as a beginner)and it was great fun! It really sparked my interest in portraits. Most of my work is in color pencil but I love the softness of pastel and I'm excited to see what I can learn here! Can't wait for December 1!

Sandy

*Violet*
11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
i hope i can manage my time to take part in this ... at the very least i will definitely follow it and learn by example ... it looks to be very interesting and informative !! ... thank you for hosting !!

JLMTD
11-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Yes! I'll be joining you for this! I've never done portraits in anything but pencil or charcoal and it's been about 25 years since I've done anything but a quick sketch. I want to do my grandchildren, but really need the instruction.

Thanks for doing this!

Janis

Sonni
11-26-2008, 02:56 AM
Well, gee, my portrait class ends the second week in Dec. Maybe I can roll into this one in the third?

Also, those interested in portraiture might want to tune into CBS (in the USA) called, "CBS News Sunday Morning" hosted by Charles Osgood. According to Harley Brown, it will show a part of art that is almost a fable.

Harley (who is a well known portrait and figure artist) said he was lucky to be part of it but that it was "nerve wracking" --the cameras followed them from Tucson to Reno for the Reno Art Auction. He doesn't know if they cut him out or not, but by Sunday he will.

Netty
11-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Sounds like lots of fun :)
Like sandy, I have just finished the enjoyment of participating in the portrait swap at the portrait forums. It is great fun and a wonderful way to learn and get to know others much better :)
Looking forwards to this very much!!!

Annie.

snowfall
11-26-2008, 05:50 AM
I'd love to join in your class. I really am a beginner though - I have never drawn a human portrait or figure drawing (how sad is that!). However, since I have started my art adventure I have done just a few animal portraits which are not too bad. So I am eager to learn whether I will be able to do human portraits/figures we well. So watch out for some weird shapes coming from my direction.

I will probably be one of the slower pace learners as there's so much to learn from this website (it's great) but it can be a bit overwhelming sometimes trying to fit it all in.

Looking forward to the class.

Pam

Merethe T
11-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Count me in too, this will be great! I've been wanting to do more portrait for a while, perfect timing with your class...I've been asked to do portrait commissions many times, but turned all down as I need to learn more before taking it on. Might as well start now.

Thank you for doing this class, I look forward to it!

Merethe

sekulastudio
11-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Also, those interested in portraiture might want to tune into CBS (in the USA) called, "CBS News Sunday Morning" hosted by Charles Osgood. According to Harley Brown, it will show a part of art that is almost a fable.

Harley (who is a well known portrait and figure artist) said he was lucky to be part of it but that it was "nerve wracking" --the cameras followed them from Tucson to Reno for the Reno Art Auction. He doesn't know if they cut him out or not, but by Sunday he will.
Is it this coming Sunday, November 30? Thanks for letting us know.

robertsloan2
11-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Yes, I have done portraits professionally. Most of them were very loose inexpensive street sketches where I got the essentials for the likeness and used my Canson paper tints to fill the background -- I'd charge extra for doing a background as if I was doing another person because of the time it took. I have also done a few serious portrait commissions, some quite large, in the past.

I have learned so much in the other classes here that I know I'm going to come away from this class with another fantastic skill leap. I'm not overconfident any more at all!

Will we be doing self portraits at any point in the class? I may do one on the side if not, because I'm thinking it's about time I get a better avatar picture.

Deborah Secor
11-26-2008, 09:17 AM
I am new to both portraits and pastels, and will try to take part. I have a suggestion, based on how we organize the class threads in the watercolor forum. We have one thread for the "lesson" in which only the instructor/host posts. Then there is a second thread for "homework" in which participants post their comments, questions, and results. This makes it easier to find the original "instructional" posts without wading through pages and pages of other comments. It has worked really well so maybe you'll want to consider it!

That sounds like a really good idea! I think we should consider it as a possibility. I found in some of the other threads that the instruction can get a bit lost in the chatter and sharing, but both are so important! I can see a an ESP thread with the teacher's info, then a linked thread that holds the paintings, critiques and discussions.

Deborah

Sonni
11-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Is it this coming Sunday, November 30? Thanks for letting us know.

Yes, I'll post a new thread so all can see.

saramathewson
11-26-2008, 04:59 PM
I was just talking to Chris(my DH) about how I want to learn portrait and figure drawing. I am a beginner at both. I hope I can keep up! I am so behind in Charlie's class right now.. But hope to get some time this weekend to work some more on it. I'm so glad you are doing this. Thank-you so much!

Sara

DAK723
11-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi all,

Only have a minute so I can't comment individually - but I'm glad to see your posts and your enthusiasm! This will be a beginner level class for the most part, so nobody should worry about being left behind. There is a good chance that we will have two threads - one for the "lesson" and one for the discussion and posts from everybody. As far as self portraits go - we are starting with the individual features of the face, and I will have some photos from the reference library available, but the format of the class will be pretty loose - you can use whatever reference you want - so you can use yourself as reference! Just be prepared to share that reference material with the class!

Remember that everyone can work at there own pace. I think it will be a bit different than the 2 ESP classes that have already started in that I will be posting the bulk of the lesson right at the start. It will be more like picking up an art how-to book. You can start in anytime during the month (or even later - but my responses a few months from now might be delayed a bit!)

I hope I've addressed any questions that were asked.

Don

RainySea
11-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Wow, this is great timing! I want to try to do a little portrait of my daughter for her BF's Christmas present as he has requested only found or made gifts as that is his family tradition.

maw-t
11-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Dak, thanks!.. This sounds great. count me in!!

springbaby
11-27-2008, 07:55 AM
This class is a great idea! I am just coming through a very creatively dry season and have not picked up my pastels since June. I've just started a few pencil sketches and I'm feeling rusty and ticked with myself. Looking forward to learning lots and getting my creative juices flowing. Thanks for doing this.

Gail

bchlvr
11-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Count me in! I love portraits and figures...I have tried a few portraits but never had tried the full figure.

sjb
11-27-2008, 10:02 AM
This is great!

I've been busy for the month of November, but as of December 1st I was planning on picking up my pastels again to work on... portraits! :) I took a local class through September and October and I tried my first portraits ever, and I was quite happy with them. It's got me hooked. I'd even taken some trips to the local art stores and stocked up on paper and picked up a few more flesh-toned Sennies... bwahaha :evil:

Thanks for doing this.

Simon

ElsieH
11-27-2008, 10:06 AM
:wave:
Thanks so much!
This sounds very interesting.
I'll be a "reader" and possibly participate as I can.
While I've done portraits in the past, it has been a LONG time, and that was not in pastel. So, I'm looking forward to learning.
:clap: :clap:

robertsloan2
11-27-2008, 11:31 AM
That's going to be tricky trying to get a photo of my reflection in the mirror, but I might manage it if I use the little tripod I've got. My hand doesn't have to be in it after all. Either that or use the phone camera, my hand seems steadier with the phone camera because of where to press to catch the shot.

This class is going to be a lot of fun! And I could sure use some work on the figure, no matter how well I do faces.

SharonC
11-28-2008, 01:32 PM
I plan on reading and trying to keep up with the instruction, maybe I can finally finish my grandson's portrait. So far his skin looks like a doll and a bit of a dirty doll. "eek" I'm not sure I can participate fully, with layoff's at work I am back to working full time instead of 1/2 to 3/4, so my time for art has changed. I also like the idea of having two different threads, one for instruction and one for sharing, great idea.

Shirl Parker
11-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I vote two threads also, pretty please.

robertsloan2
11-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Two threads sounds like it'd be a lot easier to navigate, even though I'll be keeping up with both. It's a brilliant idea.

It may also help during the class to click "favorite" on posts that are pivotal -- whatever lesson is complex but important that I'll be going back to repeatedly may be easier to get to by making just that post a favorite. I did that with a couple of them in Colourful Still Life and that's helped.

MJGresko
11-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow thanks so much for doing this. I really need to learn the fundamentals instead of just winging it.I seem to be in a rut lately..nothing looks right so I think thisis just what I need. Looking forward to Dec. 1st!

Mette Rörström
11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I´d like to join you! This sounds great! see you :wave:

mrking
11-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Is it December yet. :D hehe

Sonni
11-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Is it December yet. :D hehe

2 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes. DAK better start another thread. This is already too long and no one's done anything yet.

DAK723
11-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Alas, though many of you have asked for two threads, and the watercolor forum is a good example of how it can be done, after discussions with the moderators, there is no way to currently have the same set up in the Pastel forum. So we will be proceeding in the same format as the ESP classrooms that have gone before. There will be only one thread. The entire tutorial portion will be posted at the beginning. It may require multiple posts for me to load it up - it is 21 pages long in Microsoft Word - so I will let everyone know when it is completely loaded and the discussion can begin. Each monthly chapter will begin in a new thread - so my tutorial portion will always be at the beginning of the thread, so it should be reasonably easy to navigate.

I am a bit overwhelmed at the response so far! I can only hope that everyone finds something useful and helpful in this classroom.

See you Monday!

Don

Deborah Secor
11-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Don, you have a wealth of information to share and I'm sure we'll all find something useful and encouraging in what you give us! At 21 pages I don't think you need to worry about that. :thumbsup:

Just post a couple of sentences describing the structure to us so we don't interrupt you. I guess we could look at your initial post(s) as the lecture/demonstration part of the class. Then you can introduce the discussion and tutorial section where we can join in, ask questions and get started painting!

Okay, Professor Don....you're almost on! This is going to be fun...and a lot of us will be reading even if we don't get into the studio right away. Thanks again for taking on this class. Obviously it's a popular and much-needed one. :D

Deborah

Sonni
11-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Here's a little something to get the juices flowing. Redochre over in Figure posts a coffee club discussion once a month. For Dec. it's Alphonse Mucha, the father (more or less) of Art Deco--. Red must spend hours scouring the web as he comes up with a lot of subject matter. So a bunch of us are studying the methods of this fellow Mucha, and posting the results. Some in stages. This is mine. You don't want to know how many hrs. Mapped out in pencil, now working with pastel. 15x19 watercolor paper..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2008/111873-11-29_mucha_sketch_refined.jpg

The source: Mucha
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2008/111873-mucha_4c3e4c39f2_o.jpg

saramathewson
11-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Beautiful Sonni!

Sara

*Violet*
11-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Alas, though many of you have asked for two threads, and the watercolor forum is a good example of how it can be done, after discussions with the moderators, there is no way to currently have the same set up in the Pastel forum. Don

*curious* ... why wouldn't it be able to have one thread titled
*exploring soft pastel: portraiture - instructions - dak723 host*and another separate one titled
*exploring soft pastel: portraiture - participation*and in every post posted into the former thread by our host dak723 a link to the particpation thread? and perhaps even a link to the last page in that thread for convenience' sake?

and perhaps, similarly, in every post posted by our host into the participation thread, a link to the instructional page?

why would this be against this forum's policies ? as above ... just *curious*

*Violet*
11-30-2008, 02:11 PM
sonni - fabulous work !! ... undoubtedly you'll be a tough act to follow !! :):):)

robertsloan2
11-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Sonni, thank you for such glorious inspiration! That is the sort of thing I would love to be able to do, right down to her shining drapery with its intricate, accurate folds.

Don, I'm going to take a look at your palette again. I bought the 12 color Portrait set of color Conte crayons a few years ago, thinking I would get back into doing portraits and figure studies and want them. Now this has me intrigued and looking at using them more often.

DAK723
11-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Don, you have a wealth of information to share and I'm sure we'll all find something useful and encouraging in what you give us! At 21 pages I don't think you need to worry about that. :thumbsup:

Just post a couple of sentences describing the structure to us so we don't interrupt you. I guess we could look at your initial post(s) as the lecture/demonstration part of the class. Then you can introduce the discussion and tutorial section where we can join in, ask questions and get started painting!

Okay, Professor Don....you're almost on! This is going to be fun...and a lot of us will be reading even if we don't get into the studio right away. Thanks again for taking on this class. Obviously it's a popular and much-needed one. :D

Deborah

The structure of the first class will be as follows:

A brief introduction.
Part 1: Observation - where I make some observations of the eye and nose.
Part 2: Demonstration - where I do a couple practice pieces.
Part 3: Experiments - where I introduce a more advanced theme - in this case it will be warm/cool contrast.
Part 4: Let's Paint! - I have 4 photos from the reference library that we can all use for our practice pieces, and introduce the practice exercises.

Just from a practical point of view, I will probably use multiple posts rather than try to post this all in one post. So I will ask that no one post until part 4 is posted! This way the entire lesson is continuous and at the front of the thread. Of course, people can ask for explanations and ask questions, make comments, add in their observations at any time once my lesson is posted.

I hope, if nothing else, it is fun! My experiments are meant to be fun and perhaps get some folks out of their comfort zone (meaning ME!). The lessons themselves will be very basic. They focus on observation and learning to see shapes rather than lines. In that regard, it might be most helpful for folks who are trying to transition from drawing (using a linear, outlined approach) to a more painterly approach.

Don

DAK723
11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
*curious* ... why wouldn't it be able to have one thread titled
*exploring soft pastel: portraiture - instructions - dak723 host*and another separate one titled
*exploring soft pastel: portraiture - participation*and in every post posted into the former thread by our host dak723 a link to the particpation thread? and perhaps even a link to the last page in that thread for convenience' sake?

and perhaps, similarly, in every post posted by our host into the participation thread, a link to the instructional page?

why would this be against this forum's policies ? as above ... just *curious*
OK, I'm sorry that the one thread versus two threads has become an issue. The decision to go with one thread was arrived at after discussing the options. There is no policy that doesn't allow us to have two threads - in fact, the moderators and I discussed this exact example at length. If we followed the watercolor example, there would be one sticky thread in the "Soft Pastel Talk" forum that leads to a page with all the classes. On this page would be two threads as you have described. Having a link to a separate page with the classes is not possible the way that the pastel forum is currently set up. It would need reprogramming from the technical staff, as I understand it.

Without a separate classroom page, the classes need to be directly on the Soft Pastel Talk page as they are now. We could go with two threads for each class. My concern is, next month when I start lesson 2, Lesson 1 will still be ongoing. If each class has two threads, there are now 4 sticky threads for this class. Any other classes that start up will also have 2 sticky threads. By month 3, I might have 6 sticky threads, rather than 3. Having this many sticky threads was not something we wanted to have, either.

The other point about having 2 threads per class would be that once my instruction thread was posted, this thread would be closed so that participation posts aren't mistakenly posted there. I could not go in and add more instructional posts, either. Since all participation, including my comments, addition info, etc. would be in the participation thread, my thought was, if I post my instruction at the beginning of the thread, there is really no advantage to having 2 threads.

I hope this explains things. Nor is anything written in stone. I'm sure both the classroom teachers and the moderators will be looking at ways to improve things.

Don

DAK723
11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Sonni, very nice work! I believe earlier you mentioned having just taken a portrait class. Now you are demonstrating you talent with figures! I hope, since this is a very basic class, that an experienced painter like you will find something useful!!

I think, now that nudity has been introduced into the thread, that I need to add our "butt icon". Wow, an invitation thread with a butt icon, perhaps a WC first!!:D

Don

DAK723
11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
I guess adding a butt icon to post #50 doesn't retroactively add it to the beginning. Oh well, I won't tell if you guys won't tell!!

Don

DAK723
11-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Don, I'm going to take a look at your palette again. I bought the 12 color Portrait set of color Conte crayons a few years ago, thinking I would get back into doing portraits and figure studies and want them. Now this has me intrigued and looking at using them more often.

A portrait set should have all you need. We will be using a "value based" approach, so you won't need a big palette. My guess is, if you have some pastels, you will have enough. Nobody, I hope, will have to go out and buy any. (Unless you want to, of course!)

Don

Sonni
11-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Sonni, very nice work! I believe earlier you mentioned having just taken a portrait class. Now you are demonstrating you talent with figures! I hope, since this is a very basic class, that an experienced painter like you will find something useful!!

I think, now that nudity has been introduced into the thread, that I need to add our "butt icon". Wow, an invitation thread with a butt icon, perhaps a WC first!!:D

Don

:lol: the butt icon is all over on the Figure Forum. It automatically goes with the thread, which some of us forget to click off when posting clothed models. Maybe you can find a half-butt for my post. Seriously, calling Mucha's art deco paintings "nude," might be stretching the concept a bit.

My class isn't over for another two weeks, Let me know when you put up Harley Brown's "Sitting Bull" for a study and I'll be right on it.;) :D

Sonni
11-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Sonni, thank you for such glorious inspiration! That is the sort of thing I would love to be able to do, right down to her shining drapery with its intricate, accurate folds.

There is no reason why you can't. All you need is 10% talent and be willing to put 90% into the work. I've put several hours into the Mucha study, correcting and recorrecting. I'm still working on it. I thought the garment would be easy. No way. It's ALL about seeing then getting the brain to acknowledge and transfer the info to your hand. And the more you look at a subject, the more you will see. Eventually, you will have trained yourself to do it automatically.:thumbsup:

Sonni
11-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks Violet. Set your goals high. You'll do it.

Cindy234
11-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Nothing like finding this at the last minute!! Portraits are my favorite, and so are pastels!! Count me in!! :clap:

robertsloan2
11-30-2008, 10:37 PM
A portrait set should have all you need. We will be using a "value based" approach, so you won't need a big palette. My guess is, if you have some pastels, you will have enough. Nobody, I hope, will have to go out and buy any. (Unless you want to, of course!)

Don

Thanks! It has two or three more values than the sticks you showed, one going distinctly darker, and some interesting hue variations within values. The very lightest has two hues, the next lightest has three, and there is one strong purple-cast blue that mixes well with the pale yellow for a green, with the pink and one of the reds for violet. It's almost exactly like the strong blue in your selection of blues and violets.

I have more choices of color in Conte crayons in my bigger set, but there's a major logistic advantage to using the little set. It takes up no space to speak of and lets me sketch freely. It also has that beautiful red earth sanguine color in two values. That color always seems to make wonderful skin tones. It hasn't got white, but I have spare white sticks around all the time if we do anything on tinted supports.

I'm all excited about this for tomorrow!

robertsloan2
11-30-2008, 10:39 PM
There is no reason why you can't. All you need is 10% talent and be willing to put 90% into the work. I've put several hours into the Mucha study, correcting and recorrecting. I'm still working on it. I thought the garment would be easy. No way. It's ALL about seeing then getting the brain to acknowledge and transfer the info to your hand. And the more you look at a subject, the more you will see. Eventually, you will have trained yourself to do it automatically.:thumbsup:

I've always loved the grace of Mucha's figures. I can believe it took that much work just to get to the stage you did. The drapery shines like satin, that's some of what caught my eye in Mucha's. I have to remember, satin or silk gets exaggerated strong highlights that blend directionally with the grain and often have strong shadows and areas of reflected light.

christinemlr
12-01-2008, 06:02 AM
I would like to have a go at this as you say it will be from basics. I've never done a portrait before and have never even considered it, so this will be refreshinglly new.
Xina

mrking
12-01-2008, 10:02 AM
ok, when does it start? :D :D

Colorix
12-01-2008, 04:50 PM
tap-tap-tap-tap-....

Over here it is one hour and ten minutes to December 2.

tap-tappety-tap-tap-tap....

mrking
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
tap-tap-tap-tap-....

Ah, the disadvantage of living on the other side of the world . :D hehe

grekslay
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
tap-tap-tap-tap-....

well here its 11 hour and fifty five minutes to December 3rd

haha

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
hmmmmmm ... I would have thought Don would have had this up by now. I was here at 7:00 a.m. this morning ready to sticky the new thread before I went off to work.

I am sure he will be along shortly!

Colorix
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
well here its 11 hour and fifty five minutes to December 3rd

haha

The wonderful internationality of the www! We are actually pode and anti-pode to each other -- Sweden and New Zealand! OK, I'd end up in water if I dug my way straight through the globe, but near enough. NZ is the counterweight!

I think Don said he'll post after work (his work). I guess his boss wouldn't prioritize WC...

Charlie

Cindy234
12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
"I am pleased to announce that the next Exploring Soft Pastels class is about to begin on Monday, December 1st, 2008. Watch for it (probably not until the evening, Eastern Time, USA, as my employer probably wants me to go to work that day) in the Soft Pastel Talk forum"

Well, I cant figure out how to insert the above properly into my post, but this was in his first post to us anouncing this workshop. He'll be along!

robertsloan2
12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah, it's only 6pm now Central Time. I think Eastern Time is earlier. Yeah, that's right, because Pacific Time is two hours later than me. So for him it's still five in the afternoon on December 1st.

I'm going to enjoy this and I'm hovering at the keyboard too!

Lisa Fiore
12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Nah, eastern time is ahead--it's now 7:19 and I'm trying to wait patiently...:)

DAK723
12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Here I come!!!!!!!

Don

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
You've been a very "wanted" man!!! I look for the thread and then "sticky" it.