PDA

View Full Version : Help with prismacolor conversion to coloursoft

macCALICOmac
11-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi

I have just bought 3 art books (YAY) and wanted to start with Cecile Baird's KIWI fruit demonstration.
But both my books (other is by J Gildow) talk of Prismacolors. And I cant get them here, and having just bought a 72 set of coloursofts, I cant afford to buy them and pay for shipping right now. Ugh.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could help me with color conversions?

I have looked at color charts, but am finding it hard to compare due to lighting/monitor variations.

I am looking for the names/numbers of these colours in Coloursofts...

Apple Green =
Black Cherry = (I think is blackberry, but cant be sure)
Bronze =
Burnt Ochre =
Clay Rose =
Cream =
Dark Green =
Dark Umber =
French Grey (10%, 20%, 30%, 50%) =
Goldenrod =
Grass Green =
Peacock Green =
Sand =
Terra Cotta =
Tuscan Red = (I think is cranberry)
Warm Grey (10%, 20%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 90%) =
Yellow Ochre =

Also needed are verithins - but I will use some Derwent Artists i have here (And can get more if i need)

Light Grey =
Sienna Brown =

(Suddenly my oh so huge collection of Coloursofts looks so small to me :()

Thanks for ANY advice - I am still just starting CP..

TessDB
11-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi, Pippa!

Since conversions from one brand to another can be *really* subjective, you're probably going to be better off figuring out the color matches yourself. What will help is looking at swatches of the prismacolors and swatches of the coloursofts and letting those get you close to the right pencils... Hope that makes sense.

To me and on my monitor, Dick Blick has the most accurate/easy to see swatches for all of the pencil brands. Here are the links you might find helpful:

Prismacolor @ Dick Blick (http://www.dickblick.com/zz205/08/)
Coloursofts @ Dick Blick (http://www.dickblick.com/zz220/64/)

So looking at both of the pages, you can see that Prisma's Apple Green is pretty close to Derwent's Pea Green. And Prisma's Black Cherry is a bit redder than Derwent's blackberry, so maybe try Loganberry instead?

There aren't going to be any spot-on exact matches, but this should at least get you close!

Good luck!
Rosemary

Flame Lily
11-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi Pippa, I don't have every Coloursoft pencil, didn't buy any grey's. But I've colored a little swatch of each Prisma and the closest match I have with Coloursoft's - see if this helps...
(didn't take any photos, I'll describe as well as I can)

Apple Green = Pea Green (C430) is the best match - but, it is darker than Prisma's Apple Green - seems it leans more to blue and the Apple Green is a little yellower, so color lightly when you use the Pea Green and if you want to lighten it, add a little bit of your Lemon Yellow (C030)

Black Cherry = (I think is blackberry, but cant be sure) Yep, Blackberry (C280) is an almost perfect match, I'd say 99.9 percent - ever so slight lean towards blue and Black Cherry towards red - but it's hardly noticeable.

Bronze = I don't have this Prisma, sorry

Burnt Ochre = Dark Terracotta (C610) is a good match, it's a little darker though - Burnt Ochre has a little more yellow in it... if you need to lighten it - you could add a very light touch of Lemon Yellow or Cream (C010) the Mid Terracotta is a bit too red

Clay Rose = Grey Lavender (C220) is a perfect match!

Cream = Cream (C010) is as close as you can get, it's a little peachier than Prisma's Cream, you can just add a very light touch of Acid Yellow (C020) if you have to yellow it up a little.

Dark Green = Closest I could find is the Mid Green (C400) the Prisma Dark Green is a little earthier though, seems like it's slightly browner. - Not much, but if you are needing that earthier look, add a little Lincoln Green (C480) to the Mid Green. The Coloursoft Dark Green (C410) is more like the Prisma Peacock Green which has more blue in it.

Dark Umber = Brown Black (C640) is a good match, you could also use Brown (C510) but I think the Brown Black would be better, it's a tad darker.

French Grey (10%, 20%, 30%, 50%) = I don't have the Coloursoft greys, but the Prisma French Grey's are varying degrees of 'brownish' grey - a bit warmer and I think from looking at the Coloursoft greys in the store... they look cooler, so you could use them I guess and add a bit of warmish browns - you'd have to play around on some scrap paper.

Goldenrod = Ochre (C590) is an almost perfect match!

Grass Green = Green (C420) is an almost perfect match, the Prisma is ever so slightly darker.

Peacock Green = Dark Green (C410) is a perfect match, I mean the are amazingly identical :D

Sand = Light Sand (C580) perfect match!

Terra Cotta = Dark Terracotta (C610) is a perfect match!

Tuscan Red = (I think is cranberry) Cranberry (C150) is redder (wow, what a gorgeous color though) Blackberry (C280) is too purple. Loganberry (C160) is an almost perfect match - seems to have a slight pinkish tinge though compared to the Tuscan Red which is a bit more rusty. I've got to say, there's nothing quite like Prisma's Tuscan Red (that I've tried so far anyway) - it's one of a kind, magic pencil. LOL (I think there are lightfast issues with it though :( )

Warm Grey (10%, 20%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 90%) = Primsa has such an excellent selection of grey's - that is why I decided not to get the Coloursoft greys... I'll paste an image I did for my CP website, maybe it can help you see what the various grey's look like.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2008/51101-value_scale_grays.gif

Yellow Ochre = Yellow Ochre (C050) almost perfect match, I think the Coloursoft has a teeny bit more yellow in it.

Verithins...

Light Grey = don't have this Verithin, I have the warm and cool grey, not sure what the light grey would be.

Sienna Brown = this would be like a mix of your Coloursoft Mid Brown (C600) and Dark Terracotta (C610)

The Coloursofts are lovely pencils, it was fun to do this little exercise, I'm glad for the opportunity... been wanting to do this for a while. It was a welcome break from a drawing I'm working on which is tough... lots and lots of white on a dark paper -- needed a colorful break :D

Don't worry too much about your colors matching up exactly, you'll see that the more you use your pencils - the easier it'll be to match colors to what you're looking at on the reference... it doesn't matter if the colors don't match perfectly. Hope this helped though and if you need any more Prisma's to Coloursofts, let me know, I don't always get a chance to read all the threads here, so send me a PM to get my attention :)

Flame Lily
11-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Regarding: Tuscan Red = Loganberry (C160) is an almost perfect match - seems to have a slight pinkish tinge though compared to the Tuscan Red which is a bit more rusty.

I added a very very light layer of black to the Loganberry - just barely a whisper and it seemed to help match the Tuscan Red almost perfectly. Again though, you don't have to match up exactly the same - they are very close anyway.

:wave:

macCALICOmac
11-16-2008, 02:01 AM
WOW! you are so helpful! Thank you sooo much! I spent days searching - I only thought of asking bugging questions as a last resort. So glad I did, thank you again! :D

pinkrybns
11-16-2008, 05:46 AM
I'll add this thread to the CP Library, since I'm sure more pople would like to know these color conversions.

:)

Judy