PDA

View Full Version : Soft Pastels are a blast!!

Deborah Secor
11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
You can take a look at either one of the videos I made for ANTV and see how much I love painting in pastels. They really are a blast! I guess the thing I like the most is that pastels are so forgiving. You really can change your mind at any point along the way and just do it over--what more could you ask of a medium? Just saying "do-over!!" makes you feel like a kid again! :thumbsup:

I've been teaching pastel painting to adult students for over 20 years now, so I've had a lotta folks ask a whole lotta questions, as you can imagine. The way I do things is only one way of doing it, of course, but if you have questions about why I did it a certain way, or how I did something you just don't understand, or even just want to pick my brain about pastels, please feel free.

I also hang out over at the Soft Pastel forum here at WC far more than I probably should, so come on by over there if you get a chance. I suggest a quick look at Soft Pastel Talk, and maybe a little more time in the Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery--but don't hesitate to leave a message here for me, too!

Hope you have a blast with soft pastels, too! :wave:

Deborah

Here are the paintings I did on the videos:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2008/23609-Mountain_Morning_dsk.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2008/23609-Pyracantha_dsk.jpg

binkie
11-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Both paintings are beautiful, but the pyracantha painting is absolutely gorgeous!!

binkie

Deborah Secor
11-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks, binkie! I like that one the best, too. The landscape is a nice painting, but the palette and composition of the pyracantha has 'wow factor'! Fun when you can pull that off, isn't it?

Deborah

Deborah Secor
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't really mean to flood the forum here but I decided that it might be a good idea to have two separate threads so that those who paint from the videos/DVDs have a chance to see specific information on how to paint the landscape or shadows.

Deborah