PDA

View Full Version : Tips for the absolute beginner from Mark Willenbrink

Mark Willenbrink
11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas! If you have participated in one of my/Mark Willenbrink's workshops, I would love to hear from you! Perhaps you are an absolute beginner with a few questions, then just drop me a line. ~Mark Willenbrink

Ali-Bea-65
12-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Painting for 8 years but in a slump. I painted something that should be good but I can not figure what is wrong

Mark Willenbrink
12-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Ok, so you know that you are unhappy with a piece of art that you have done. Sometimes it takes time to figure it out. One thing could be that you tried something new and it doesn't look right to your eyes. The truth may be that you have reached a new level in your painting but aren't used to it yet. Then there is always the possibility that there is something that needs to be learned from looking at a painting. Could it be the painting was overworked? The way you would know whether this happened or not is to try to remember if you went back to a spot over and over again or lingered too long in one area. One last thought: If this workshop was done but a person did not use the suggested size brushes when painting the trees, the limbs would be off a bit. Our suggestion is to take a look at Mark's painting again, then look at yours. First, what do you like about your artwork? What is different about your artwork from Mark's? Even a beginner can have something they like better in their painting than Mark's. Now bravely take a look at what you don't like about your painting. Then go back and see how Mark handled this part of the workshop. That may take care of it! Sign and date your painting! A month from now you may fall in love with it!! Happy Holidays! ~Mary and Mark

shaksy
12-22-2008, 02:11 PM
hi! I just bought the drawing workshop video-I've been practicing sketching and drawing daily, after not drawing for 25 years or so (just recently started back). I think this video will help me-I just wondered if there's somewhere online that has a copy of the gatehouse photo so I can have it in front of me also? thanks!!
trish

Eric Allen
12-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi Trish,

Mark supplied me with the reference.

Happy Drawing!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Dec-2008/158194-DVD_drawing_demo_Photo.jpg