PDA

View Full Version : Let Us Know If You Are an OPS Member on the OP Channel at WC!

Scarefishcrow
11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
After writing an article for the October Oil Spiel about WC! and the OP Channel. I can't help but wonder if it was helpful, informative or got you to take a look at the OP channel.

Also, I'm curious as to whether we have many OPS members that already populate the OP Channel since with Avatars and noms de forum it is not easy to tell.

I was hoping to see if there was any feedback you may have had regarding the Oil Spiel article. Particularly since it seems I will be writing articles on a more or less regular basis it would help me to know what you find useful; what kinds of topics you would like to see discussed, would you be interested in short descriptions of OP accessories that might be of interest, comparison of brands, information on supports.

I would hope members would use this forum as a way of responding much as one would with a "letters to the editor" section in a magazine.

The OPS is growing and I am just a new Associate Member, but I am excited about what is happening in the OP world. That's why I got involved in spite of the fact I am not yet particularly skilled. Perhaps there are other members that are in similar situations. I found out that lurking in the shadows doesn't seem to pay off and you have to take a chance to grow.

I want the OPS to grow and prosper. We have had a few very dedicated members that were instrumental in the formative years of the society. They have borne the brunt of the burden of keeping the society on track, but we as members cannot expect them to carry on forever.

Are you interested in helping? Let it be known. Are you afraid you are too new to OP, well, maybe articles following your learning experiences will help others. Have ideas about how to improve the society, nothing will happen unless you speak up.

All of this is my personal opinion and posted at my own initiative. If I am going to be actively involved I want to know from the members if my efforts are useful or not.

In essence THIS is the OPS member forum. Non OPS members can view this and comment as well, but perhaps that is the way to interest those that are OP artists by don't know what the OPS is all about.

Let your voices be heard. Otherwise we will be simply following what we think is the correct path. Help light the path to a better and stronger society. Other societies did not develop overnight. It takes hard work and involvement.

If you are a member you must have some strong attachement to the philosophical significance of OP as a fine art medium. The way to lift OP's awareness among the general art community and inform them of the advances in products and techniques and versatility is to be proactice in getting information before the public.

Please let me know what you feel about the OPS and what you want it to do and become. I want to be a part of helping that happen!

Bill Le Grande:thumbsup: :heart: :music: :heart:

ElleZee
11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Bill! I enjoy my newsletters immensly!!! I haven't got to read my Nov/Dec issue yet, but I am looking forward to it! Thank you for taking the time to write and help with the newsletter. I will definately give your questions some thought and see if I can come up with some way to contribute more to the society.

Something I'd love to see, a OP workshop on video! Or a new book put out by one of our members. I would also love to see members recognized in the Pastel Journal (ya, I know there is some history)....I've stopped buying that mag, because there is never any OP realated info. Up here in the good ol' centre of Canada, we have very few OP classes or workshops. I find it difficult to get a real demonstration of techniques.

Pat Isaac
11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for checking in Lori. No OP workshops around here either and the one I was going to give didn't have enough sign ups. For soe reason the mags are reluctant to feature OP articles. We are moving forward though.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
11-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi Bill! I enjoy my newsletters immensly!!! I haven't got to read my Nov/Dec issue yet, but I am looking forward to it! Thank you for taking the time to write and help with the newsletter. I will definately give your questions some thought and see if I can come up with some way to contribute more to the society.

Something I'd love to see, a OP workshop on video! Or a new book put out by one of our members. I would also love to see members recognized in the Pastel Journal (ya, I know there is some history)....I've stopped buying that mag, because there is never any OP realated info. Up here in the good ol' centre of Canada, we have very few OP classes or workshops. I find it difficult to get a real demonstration of techniques.

Lori, Thank you so much for your comments. The first article was really to try and get some understanding of how the OPS forum can be a place we can interract as Society Members. Because we are young and really entirely online, we need to get to know one another and get feedback.

Even if members are unable to actively contribute, by posting feedback and letting those working to develop things know how we are doing and what would be helpful will make the things we do more responsive to the needs of the members.

I am not a trained artist and tried to make that clear. But in some ways writing about things I am learning can possibly help others and those with more experience can clarify issues I raise and contribute their collective years of experience.

I want to progress, but whatever level of expertise I attain as an OP (and other media as well) artist, does not limit how I can pass on what I learn from other sources. There are many ways to contribute to the artistic community. Some of us may never be great artists, but that doesn't mean we can't do things that advance the goals of the society.

Everyone has something they can contribute, even if it is a good question or idea.

I am hoping to start working on some articles that will review materials, options, techniques, advances, changes, etc. I hope we can develop a broad spectrum of content that will have something for everyone.

Mostly encouragement and support and feedback (positive or suggestions for how to do things better) are a huge help.

Thanks for responding.

Bill

robertsloan2
11-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm in the process of joining right now. There was a slight glitch with the "click here to pay by Paypal" button, so I just emailed my information to membership @oilpastelsociety.com and asked for the right email to paypal my dues to. That seemed like the simple way to do it without going out!

ElleZee
11-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Pat - Perhaps you could run an on-line workshop? With video? Because much of the OPS membership is so geographically separated. Of course, it would be a paid class, not a freebee. Just a thought. I'd be interested, I'm sure others would be at the right price.

Bill- yes, many of us have skills, besides our artistic ones, that we could share. I agree, many hands make for less work! Perhaps, we have a specific thread in the OP Studio that anyone can post questions to (maybe you have this already, I've been absent for quite sometime :o ) or concerns they have and then we can utilize that to create an answers column in the Newsletter? OP R&D, so-to-speak :lol: or do you think that would just be the same old, same old?

BTW, Great work OPS Volunteers! You are appreciated, everyone of you! Thank you.

robertsloan2
11-14-2008, 12:48 AM
It's now official! I'm an Associate member in the OPS and very happy about it. I'm looking forward to writing some articles for the Oil Spiel.

Lori, you have some cool ideas for the newsletter.

I love oil pastel. I always liked it, but now that I've got Erengi, a few Neopastels and some Senneliers to work with, it's climbed very high on my favorites list. Clean, powerful, colorful and versatile, it's got everything for it and nothing against.

This is also the first fine art society I've ever joined, so it'll always be a bit special to me for that too. A big change in the way I look at myself and my art.

ElleZee
11-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Welcome Robert! I am sure you're going to love the Society. I know I do! And OP's are a super medium, aren't they!!

robertsloan2
11-14-2008, 10:26 AM
I know I'm going to love the Society. I already feel thrilled to be part of it. This is a big step for me. I had not ever joined any fine art societies in my life. OP is a great medium. Ever since I got the artist grade oil pastels it's been so much easier to get the effects I want.

Scarefishcrow
11-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Welcome officially, Robert. It is great to have you as a member.

Lori, the OP Talk forum basically serves that purpose for the OP forum in general. Part of the problem is that the OPS forum and other OP Forums are only loosely connected since many of the users of the other forums are not necessarily OPS members.

The idea of this forum was SPECIFICALLY to encourage interraction among members of the OPS since we really are an online entity with no physical home.

I'm hoping more OPS members will access this forum and I've started a thread encouraging OPS members to ask questions, register concerns, give ideas.....Basically a kind of electronic letters to the editor. That way we have an idea of issues of particular concern to the Society members which may or may not correspond to the OP Artist population at large using WC!

Does that make some sense?

Bill

Pat Isaac
11-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Welcome aboard, Robert and we are looking forward to your participation. An on line workshop.....Hmmmm..Have to think about that one. I will be doing another classroom at the beginning of the year. Does that count?

Pat

ElleZee
11-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Yes, Bill. I think I'm picking up what you're puttin' down :thumbsup:

Here's a concern that I would like to see addressed. What steps can individual members take to promote and aid the real world art community in embracing OP's as a legitimate fine art medium. I have heard of some shows who won't accept as pastel work, and may not even allow it at all. What can we do to help move that ahead? Sending out liturature from manufactures to art clubs and other societies perhaps? Does OPS have something we could print off ourselves and send out to our own local organizations to help educate?

ElleZee
11-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Welcome aboard, Robert and we are looking forward to your participation. An on line workshop.....Hmmmm..Have to think about that one. I will be doing another classroom at the beginning of the year. Does that count?

Pat

OH, YES Pat!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I love your classroom workshops!!! That would be awesome!

Pat Isaac
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks, Lori. It will be a floral and hoping to incorporate other issues along the way like shadows.....

Pat

robertsloan2
11-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm looking forward to your workshop too, Pat. It's going to be great. Thanks for the warm welcome!

RainySea
11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Looking forward to your workshop, Pat! There are no oil pastel classes or workshops around here either. . . the one local one that I signed up for was canceled due to lack of enrollment. I did get to take one at the Art Expo in Pasadena this year, a short two hour workshop.

Bill, some of the articles you are considering sound interesting. Being new to art, I'm interested in EVERY aspect from materials to technique to color.

Oh, I'm a memeber as of this past summer. Its my first art society, too.

Pat Isaac
11-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Welcome aboard Rainy...hope you enjoy it all.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
12-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes, welcome aboard, Rainy, and as you can see from the slow time in getting a reply posted having TWO taskmasters (Pat and Carly) turns out to keep me busy as a bee. Have been spending considerable time researching and requesting samples of various supports for a series of articles on OP painting surfaces and how they interact with various brands of OP. Will be a while before anything appears as it takes time, but we wnat to try and do a variety of things from technical issues like this to demos, artist profiles, etc.

Hopefully over the next year we will make some great progress. We really want to get OPS members to use this forum as a way of increasing communication among members and getting feedback.

So if you have ideas or comments make sure and post them in the Feedback Thread.

Bill:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I've got a demo in progress for the Oil Spiel that's more of a how-to, and still need to do the sidebar priming demonstration to finish it. Need to get this done soon, I think the deadline's creeping up on me. But I will get it in soon!

Scarefishcrow
12-18-2008, 10:04 AM
You are not alone.:eek:

JTMB
12-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent addition to WC, and I also just signed up as an associate member of OPS. In fact, I'm quite new to art (other than photography) as of a few months ago and am looking forward to a number of classes I have coming up in the winter quarter. I started out (and am still working on) watercolor, but am trying different media and have been enjoying OP's quite a bit. I'm anxious to learn as much as I can through both WC and OPS.

Looking forward to 'meeting' everyone!

JTMB
John Tubbs
:)

Pat Isaac
12-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Welcome, John to the OPS and to WC.....:wave: I'll be looking for some of your posts in the OP forum....stop by and let us know what you are up to.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
12-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent addition to WC, and I also just signed up as an associate member of OPS. In fact, I'm quite new to art (other than photography) as of a few months ago and am looking forward to a number of classes I have coming up in the winter quarter. I started out (and am still working on) watercolor, but am trying different media and have been enjoying OP's quite a bit. I'm anxious to learn as much as I can through both WC and OPS.

Looking forward to 'meeting' everyone!

JTMB
John Tubbs

Welcome both to the OPS and to WC! and the Oil Pastel Channel! It is great you are interested in a variety of media as they often complement one another.

Just to get you oriented, it might help to take a look at the following thread:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520302

It provides a one stop source of <IMPORTANT INFO> about the OP Channel (and can be accesses by using that link in my signature line) including overviews of all the subforums and what each is for and where to post what. It also has links to guidelines for posting and critiques and general information articles about OP brands, tools and getting started. There are also so general WC! links in my signature line if you aren't familiar with "getting around" that might help you figure out the organization of the place. It is very large and lots of places to explore.

There are many people in the OP Channel that are relatively new to art. In fact, while I have been interested and studied from books for many years, it really was not until I retired last January I became active here and began to have time to actually "do" what I had been reading about.

The OP Channel is full of GREAT people that run the gamut from just beginning to professional artists, virtually all willing to help novice or experienced artist alike.

Have questions, start a thread in the OP Talk forum and ask. Pat, I or someone else will probably be by relatively soon with a reply. In this channel really almost all the active users really act as Guides whether they are officially or not. We offer suggestions of alternative ways of doing things and sometimes different people will give you alternate viewpoints, but it gives you options to think about!

There is a weekly thread in the OP Talk Forum called the Oil Gusher that is really a topicless thread where we go just to talk about just about anything having to do with art or just what's going on in our lives. Sort of like an electronic version of Pat's Den!:lol:

Your interest in watercolor actually goes quite well with OP since some artists use watercolor underpaintings for their OP works and you might want to explore some of the various watersoluble "Wax" OP's such as Caran d'Ache NeoColor II or Cretacolor Aquastic which can be used to produce watercolor like effects.

Explore the Talk and Studio forums and you will find many topics relating to these and traditional OP as well as Oilbar and Oil Sticks which are similar to Oil Paint but with beeswax added to stiffen it into something like an Oil Pastel. However, Oil Pastels (OP) are typically made with mineral oil and don't completely oxidize and "dry" like Oil Sticks (OS) which are made with the more traditional Linseed oil that oxidizes and forms the "dry" surface of oil paintings.

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know right now, but just drop in, post some of your OP (and the forum considers Oil Sticks and Watersoluble "OP" as fine to post as well as tradition OP). Take part in demos, classrooms, monthly challenges, weekly sketch threads, and more.

Hope to see a lot of you around the Forume.

Bill

redclare
01-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Hello all, I have just joined as an Associate member of the OPS.. I got the official welcome today and am very happy to be joining this community. :)

Rebecca W

Pat Isaac
01-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Welcome, Rebecca and we are happy to have you on board.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
01-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Hello all, I have just joined as an Associate member of the OPS.. I got the official welcome today and am very happy to be joining this community. :)

Rebecca W

And this community is elated to have you join us, Rebecca! Glad you got the official "okey dokey" as Col. Potter used to say on MASH.

Bill

robertsloan2
02-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Welcome John and Rebecca! This is great. I love it that the OPS is growing.

SGSart
02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
HEY, HI to OPS people on Wet Canvas... :wave: Shelley Schoenherr here.

I must say YES I found your thread here, Bill, but I have to admit that for my old brain, Wet Canvas is horrific challange. So many options, so many ins and outs, so confusing. Isn't there an easier way to communicate? Not being sarcastic. Being serious. Does anyone ELSE find WC a lot like ambling aimlessly thru Wonderland with Alice. YEEEEKS.... Glad us oil pastelists can have a home however, and if everyone thinks it should be at Wet Canvas, then I guess I am destined to try to learn my way around.

:clap: Again~ HI to everyone! :clap: Shelley Schoenherr www.SGSart.com (http://www.SGSart.com)

Pat Isaac
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey, Shelley, glad to see you here. Really not to hard to navigate after you've done it a few times. We have a talk forum and a posting forum, plus threads archived in the library.

Stop by again and even post some of your new work.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi, Shelley! Glad you found it!

Welcome to the Oil Pastel (OP) Channel.

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <IMPORTANT INFO> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info (which Pat has pointed you to) and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<Index Thread> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540432)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because many of us are also relatively new and there are people from beginners like you to professionals and everyone tries to help everyone else.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a "no topic" thread where people can just say hi and catch up on what going on or just meet folks.

So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to help you out.

Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome aboard!

Bill

pierre-r-f
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

I recently applied for Associate Membership of the Oil Pastel Society and was delighted to receive their confirmation and welcome yesterday. I look forward to participating in future activities as I progress.

At this point, I would like to thank all in this Forum for the support and encouragement you have shown me since joining WC last December which has fired this particular watercolourist's initial interest in OP's to a strong eagerness to develop skills in this exciting medium.

My sincere thanks, Pierre

Pat Isaac
02-27-2009, 03:16 PM
A hearty welcome, Pierre....glad to have you on board.

Pat

pierre-r-f
03-01-2009, 04:11 AM
Many thanks for your welcome, Pat. I appreciate it. Pierre

Scarefishcrow
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi All,

I recently applied for Associate Membership of the Oil Pastel Society and was delighted to receive their confirmation and welcome yesterday. I look forward to participating in future activities as I progress.

At this point, I would like to thank all in this Forum for the support and encouragement you have shown me since joining WC last December which has fired this particular watercolourist's initial interest in OP's to a strong eagerness to develop skills in this exciting medium.

My sincere thanks, Pierre

Pierre,

Thank you for your enthusiastic support of the forum and the OPS. It is through people like you that we hope more artists will learn that OP is a serious medium that is very versatile and can be used to produce fine art along with many other media.

Welcome to the society!!

Bill:clap:

pierre-r-f
03-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Many thanks for your welcome and comments, Bill. Much appreciated.

Since joining WC and now having observed the high standard of work in this Forum, the websites of its' members and others of the OPS, I can honestly say that previously as with many artists, I had no appreciation of the fine art that can be achieved with oil pastels.

I look forward to progressing further with this interesting medium.

Regards, Pierre

aolaranora
03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I contacted Society and send my membership info earler this week and got a responce from nice lady named Becky, that told me "she will be working on my page over this weekend". And she likes my painting. :-) This is an only respoce what I have so far, I'm very much looking forward to see some Newsletters etc.:)

Pat Isaac
03-11-2009, 07:34 PM
You will hear more once everything goes through. Welcome aboard.

Pat

aolaranora
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Thank You, Pat! I hope I will! I have a long way to catch up for all those years I did mainly ... mmm.. NOTHING (art wise) and lot of to learn, but looks like I found something what I really love. And I'm pretty picky in likes and dislikes, but OPs feels like my thing. Just today I got my very first box of 40 Holbeins and just like you told me before very much impressed with it. Stuff IS good. Also I got from e-bay box of 50 Erengys, but those are not here yet... Still didn't try Cray Pass yet, will be interesting someday to do it. Will be good to have more colors too, but guess what?... Now family has a very good idea about X-mas list etc. :angel: The only their problem would be - that "list" is not cheap! :lol: I'm very much looking forward to opportunity to learn more and do better. Thank you guys for all your help!

Scarefishcrow
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Tatiana,

Welcome to the OPS. Great to see so much activity and so many people enjoying work with OP.

Bill:clap:

truck driver
03-26-2009, 02:57 AM
I would like to officially offer any assistance I can with any of the technical aspects of maintaining an online presence for the OPS. Even though for technical reasons that I would rather not state, I cant send the email with my address, and phone number from my current location. It will have to wait until I get home, but well my dues are paid :)

RG

Pat Isaac
03-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Welcome, RG. Glad to see you on board.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I would like to officially offer any assistance I can with any of the technical aspects of maintaining an online presence for the OPS. Even though for technical reasons that I would rather not state, I cant send the email with my address, and phone number from my current location. It will have to wait until I get home, but well my dues are paid :)

RG

RG, that is great! It is FABULOUS to have you. Hope we can collaborate on some Oil Speil articles using your expertise..

Welcome!

BlLL

truck driver
04-02-2009, 12:48 AM
RG, that is great! It is FABULOUS to have you. Hope we can collaborate on some Oil Speil articles using your expertise..

Welcome!

BlLL

I havent recieved any reply from anybody? At least as of yet..
is this usual?

RG

truck driver
04-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah, O.K. Bill, .... Remind me expertise in what?

RG

truck driver
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Just got my welcome letter, from a nice lady named Pat :)

RG

Pat Isaac
04-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Nice to have you aboard, RG and I will be in touch soon.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Yeah, O.K. Bill, .... Remind me expertise in what?

RG

I had the impression it covered virtually everything!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:

Bill:thumbsup: :wave: :thumbsup:

CarlyHardy
05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
How great to see so many of the OPS Society members checking into the forum here at WetCanvas!!

Most of you will know me from emails but now you can see my smiley face :)

Looking forward to working with you this year!
carly hardy

Nancys
06-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I joined the Associate Group with OPS yesterday after checking out the WC OP forum and posting. I haven't heard anything from them yet. I was expecting an email verification that they received my fee but didn't. I'm looking forward to meeting some new artist friends and learning about OP.

Pat Isaac
06-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Not to worry Nancy, as it takes a little time to process.....Welcome.

pat

Scarefishcrow
07-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Nancy, welcome to the OPS forum here at WC. Here's some info that might be useful in seeing what resources are around here:

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494753&postcount=1)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of
Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill:thumbsup:

spydersmomtammy
02-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Hi all,

I just joined the Oil Pastel Society a few days ago, and was curious where I might find any information on the Member Show for 2014?

Thanks!

Pat Isaac
02-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Nothing is up yet, but it will be on the web site when info is available.

Pat

leojacko
06-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Hi all, just renewed my membership.
Looking forward to joining in.
Nina

Pat Isaac
06-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Welcome aboard. Loking forward to seeing you in the forum.

Pat

leojacko
06-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Hi Pat, thanks for the welcome!

I used to be a member back in 2005, thought it was time I joined up again.

Nina

SQuarles
08-20-2014, 04:53 PM
I am in search of an Oil Pastel association in Arizona and anyone help me or is there only 1 in the USA?

Pat Isaac
08-21-2014, 07:54 AM
I do believe there is only one. I have not heard of one in Arizona. Please let us know if there is one.

Pat