PDA

View Full Version : help

cagathoc
05-13-2000, 09:36 AM
how can you remove acrylic medium and paints from your vinyl floors and counter tops?

cindy (w/ very yucky counter tops right now...) http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif

bobsart
05-13-2000, 04:21 PM
First let me preface this by saying, I've never removed acrylic paint from vinyl counter tops but I have removed old dried oil paint specks off of my formica top by very gently scraping it with a razor blade like you would when you are trying to remove paint from a glass window. Once it dries, I don't know of any other way. If the surface is real smooth, you might get away with it. My counter top has some texture to it and I wasn't able to remove it entirely with out damaging the surface. Whatever technique you use, try it on something that you aren't afraid to damage. Good luck...bob

[This message has been edited by bobsart (edited May 13, 2000).]

amanda
05-13-2000, 05:05 PM
I agree, any time I've had to remove it from anything it just peels right off if you are careful.

CarlyHardy
05-13-2000, 10:55 PM
try covering the spots with a hot water soaked cloth and see if this will soften it enough to peel off..
if not, I'd try a product called Brush Cleaner by Delta Ceramcoat. I've used this on the hardest brushes coated in acrylic and seen the paint dissolve away...brushes softened up like new!
or you might just try the standard old rubbing alcohol (I've heard that it will dissolve acrylic paints) but have never tested it myself.
carly

paintfool
05-14-2000, 04:17 AM
it seems to me that the razor blade idea is a good one if you are very careful. Carlys idea of breaking the paint down is a good one too but as the owner of a janitorial service (17 years) I IMPLORE you to test an inconspicuous area before putting any chemicals on the counter top. Alchahol should not hurt it but believe me it always pays to be safe! Cheryl

paintfool
05-14-2000, 04:20 AM
alcohol http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Cheryl

kimberlee881
09-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Use acetone very quickly or fingernail polish remover with acetone. Don't let it linger or it may melt the vinyl.

Paulafv
09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
And good old ammonia diluted a bit and left to sit a half hour covered with saran so it won't dry too fast. If that doesn't work, try it a little stronger, but open the windows and never mix with bleach or even bleach fumes. Cheap and easy.
Straight edge razor blade, new, should scrape off any residue especially while it's still wet.

There's always soap and water soak if you don't want the fumes. Dawn cleans my brushes and palettes like a trooper.

C_Line
09-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I'd just try laying a hot wet cloth over it for awhile. It should loosen things up nicely. Then, if there are any stains, why not try comet or bleach on the countertop?