GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Harper
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This took about 5 or 6 sessions - unusal for me, as I prefer pictures that are finished in one sitting. I worked from a photograph I took of a friend of mine playing my harp, the background wasn't there. I also made the costume she is wearing.

This will be going into a gallery in a group showing.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What sort of frame would you suggest?

And price - I know there is lots of thoughts about this, and that people in general seem to think it goes on size, but where does talent fit into that? My children brought home paintings on A3 paper when they were at school - obviously they aren't worth the size/money ratio :)

jerryW
08-01-2002, 08:47 AM
love the distant trees forming an echo of the harp.

ElizaLeahy
08-03-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
love the distant trees forming an echo of the harp.

Thank you. I don't think I did that on purpose! Originally there was nothing to the right, but it obviously needed something so I added the trees. Fortunately, unlike another painting I did that to, they didn't crack.

futurebird
08-05-2002, 10:20 AM
The upper right hand part of the harp seems a little formless, something about the way it sits on the sky makes the painting seem flat. The rest seem very full and fluid. Her face is wondeful and the angle makes you feel like you are walking up to her and she might look up at you at any moment.

This is a note that might be out of line, but it looks as though you were going for something peacful and natural and the shapes you use relly show that, but the purple and red& the red of the harp are kinda' agressive all togather. not "pretty" enough for the subject. (but I might be wrong about what you wanted us to see... )

I like the shapes you used for the spattering of leaves in the sky.
And the harp/tree thing is also wonderful.

futurebird
08-05-2002, 10:38 AM
okay here is my dumb edit idea #1
I desaturated most of the purple and reds.

futurebird
08-05-2002, 10:40 AM
kill purple and go to light red/orange to compliment greenery...