PDA

View Full Version : WIA Friday 31st October

claire.c
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone, thought I'd get the thread started. I've had a good day so far, Leon slept right through the night (I didn't, woke every half hour to check on him) and we took him out before I went to work. He hates the lead, that will take some work, as will the house training. Nothing we can't cope with, and he is such a darling.

Maggie, just read your news, I'm so, so sorry to hear about your Dad. It is good that you were so close by and able to go to him immediately. A lot of stroke victims make tremendous recoveries.

I'll be back later to chat, must go and do some baking.

Andee
10-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi all. Only just got home and read the news.

(((((Maggie))))) I'm so sorry about your dad. I'm with you in my thoughts. I keep my fingers crossed that he will make a full recovery! Hugs to you all!

Pam - nope, no candy corn yet, maybe Monday.

Need to eatl - will be back later or tomorrow to catch up with you all!

TheBlueBetween
10-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Happy Halloween!

Claire, I'm so jealous of your new boy! How fun. I figure I'm at least 5 years away from a new puppy... maybe longer. I won't rush it though, obviously.

Andee, bummer, I should have gotten them out sooner, I was hoping they would get there by today.

Here is a sneak preview of Zoe as a Skeleton:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2008/27814-zoe.jpg

And a less than happy Kesia:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2008/27814-kesia.jpg

Barrie
10-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Pam, skeleton Zoe is adorable! Do we get to see Luke's costume this year??

Andee, hope you get to sleep in and have a wonderful weekend!

Claire, hooray for Leon sleeping through the night, boo for you waking up over and over!! I'm sure he'll adjust to the lead and house training fast. Funny story from years ago when I worked in pet stores - a couple vought an 8week old golden retriever pup from the store, this was the firsy dog for both, so I made sure they had a really good book on training, and all the accessories you could think of including top of the line leash and collar. They left the store beaming with their new baby, absolutely in love. About 10 minutes later, the husband came back in the store. He wanted to return the leash. I asked why and he replied that it didn't work. Huh? He put the collar on the pup (who's never had one on before!), then attached the leash, and could NOT get the pup to walk on the leash. The pup kept sitting down. He thought it was because the leash was broken, and wanted different one!!! ROFL I still chuckle about that!!

Maggie, hugs honey, thinking positive thoughts for you and your family.

:wave: to all! Have a safe and happy Halloween!!

TheBlueBetween
10-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi Barrie, yes, here is a wrinkly Luke. He looked better once I fixed his collar... oh well. Will see what he looks like when he gets home.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2008/27814-luke.jpg

Barrie
10-31-2008, 02:23 PM
LOL Pam, he's such a doll! You must have been editing when I posted, poor Keshia does not look impressed!!

Barrie
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Maggie, just read your update in yesterday's thread. Hope you're getting a bit of sleep as I type this. There are amazing new treatments for stroke victims, so hopefully your Dad bounces back. I'm glad you're close enough to be there for him ............. make sure you take care of you too. Keep us updated as you can. Love and hugs to you!

LadyArowana
10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi all, quick fly by from me. Just wanted to send a big hug to Maggie, such a difficult time, but I know we will all be thinking good thoughts for her and her Dad.

Pam, great costumes, even though one of the pets obviously doesn't think so. Maybe there will be some dog candy to make up for it ! LOL. Fiona

Ritazart
10-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Maggie, Sending healing and white light to both you and your dad. So glad you can be with him. It is hard to see a parent be afraid, but I know he is relieved to have you and your sibs there for him. (((((HUGS)))))

Pam, Love Zoe's skeleton outfit, Kesia just looks so long suffering, as if to say, "Yeah, whatever." Luke looks amazing, no wonder he wanted to wear that costume again!!! What a doll he is!!!

Fiona, Hope the snow is gone now and you are having normal October / November weather there.

Claire, How nice Leon slept well, even if you didn't. He will adjust to the lead quickly, and become accustomed to the routine you create for him soon. Give him a big hug from me, too.

Hi Andee!!! At least it is the weekend!!!

Barrie, The pet shop story was too funny!!! Laughed out loud imagining your reaction!!! Silly people.

I will try to get a photo of my little family after they add their makeup and get Cassie all duded up, too. We just picked up a pair of pants for Eric. He needed dress pants which would blouse over the top of his laceup boots, stopped at Goodwill, and found a nice pair. Surprise at the cash register, they were the half off color of the day. Yea!!! Money saved there and a quick stop at the Grocery Outlet for meals for a couple of days. Have to think ahead for the weekend.

BBL :heart: :wave:

BeadTowne
10-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Love the pictures and seeing things that don't have to do with hospitals.

Slept a couple hours, went back to the hospital, now at my dad's for a lunch break. Dad is about the same. There may be internal bleeding, they are running tests. Doctor thinks it was some type of blockage at his heart that caused the stroke. He is communicating with us, but it is hard to know what he is saying. A guessing game. He wanted his cane and then his wheelchair so he could go to the bathroom. Guess he doesn't realize just what shape he is in.

Tired, but hanging in there. I feel hopeful, but the next couple of days are critical.

claire.c
10-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Maggie, (((HUGS))) this is an awful time of waiting for you. I hope your father starts to improve soon, and do make sure you take care of yourself too. I'm glad that you are looking forwards to returning to teaching, it will make this rest and recuperation year more valuable for you. Worrying about finances is the last thing you need when this time should give you the opportunity to do all sorts of things which aren't possible when working full time.

Rita, you are a wonderful mother and grandmother, I'm sure your girls will always remember the magic times you create for them. I've hugged Leon and told him it was from you!

Andee, glad you had a good week, hope he weekend is more positive too.

Barrie, love the leash story, Leon is just like that, put the lead on him and he won't budge. Luckily he is still small enough to carry, but only just, he weighs a ton.

Pam, Leon is gorgeous but does take up a lot of time. Luckily David is utterly besotted already and happy to do a lot. I think Kesia might be happier without the hat, love the green hair from it though. Zoe and Luke look super cool. I hope you are going to get an easier weekend, you deserve it.

Hi Fiona, Gwen, Sylvia, Dawn and anyone else still to come.

framerak
10-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Maggie, big hugs to you and your family. The next few days are so crucial as they determine if, and to what extent, there is internal bleeding and assess the damage. My Dad occasionally realized he'd had a stroke but spent enormous amounts of energy trying to get out of bed and walk. He couldn't and it was kind of heartbreaking to see him try. I'm praying the internal bleeding is minimal and that your Dad makes a complete recovery. Although there have been amazing developments in stroke research, there is still so much doctors don't know and many times it's simply a "wait & see" approach, which can be so frustrating for everyone. I know that your Dad feels his family's love and that can do more for healing than all the medicine in the world. Hang in there!

Pam, love the costumes, although Kesia doesn't look like she appreciates Halloween costumes very much.

Claire, so glad Leon had a good night. Are you crating him at night? He's so beautiful.

Rita, you did a fabulous jobs on those costumes! You're far more ambitious that I am. I shudder at the thought of sewing anything.

Andee, enjoy your weekend!

Quick "Hi" to Fiona, Dawn, Sylvia and anyone else who drops by!

BeadTowne
10-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Here's my last update for the day. Swelling of the brain makes him high risk meaning little chance of him improving from where he is at now.

Nieces will be over in their costumes soon.we'll be going back to the house to welcome trick or treaters and have a little normalcy. SIL will spend the night with him.

Happy Halloween and thanks for being you!

ValleyCreekStudio
10-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Maggie, so sorry to hear about your dad! Sure hope the doctors are wrong and he can improve. My mom is a stroke victim. She recovered mobility but not her speech. That was in 1999. They never did know what caused her stroke. There is so much therapy so don't give up hope. How wonderful that you were there instead of in LA. You were meant to take this sabbatical!

Pam, I was not being sarcastic about the 401K thing, I wouldn't do that. There is much discussion within congress about taking over the 401K accounts and converting them to government bonds at 3%. They would then roll those funds into social security so those payments were larger. It's a way of protecting us from the stock market losses! Just like the bank buy outs and the home loan buy outs it will have to pass Congress but they seem to have strong backing via Pelosi. Seems they think most of that money is theirs since we contributors have never paid tax on it . Same as they are also looking at making us pay Capital Gains Tax on the 401K accounts. Remember, 401K accounts were created by the government to entice workers to save because social security was not going to provide for our needs once we retired and they are protected in the event the company goes under, unlike pension plans. On a more happy note, Luke looks just adorable! And the dogs are precious. Hope they all have a good time tonight.

Claire, so funny about Leon sleeping the night through but you waking up every hour. It's a bit like having a new baby in the house. Wonder why dogs sit when you put a lead on them? I read somewhere that if they do that you should put the lead on them and let them drag it around with them so they get accustomed to it. Both of ours took to it just fine so couldn't say if that theory works. How wonderful that David took to the new puppy and is handling the work load. Will he take him sailing?

Andee, it's the weekend!!!! Did your candy corn arrive. Anxious to know how you like it. I still haven't bought any but maybe they will have it on sale after halloween!

Angela, did you not dress DD for halloween? LOL Hope your week is going well.

Barrie, that is the cutest story. Don't you wonder how some folks make it through the day?

Rita, good deal finding those pants for Eric. What is he going to be? You didn't mention working on a costume for him. Can't wait to see the full dress photos.

Fiona, you have reached the weekend as well. I just heard on the news that there was a big global warming meeting in London while the snow was falling down! Hope your weekend is good.

Hope I caught everyone. We went and picked up Chica and Sunni this morning. Sunni gave us a small little meow but otherwise they were as quiet coming home as they were going into town! The vet only charged me for the basic spaying and rabies shots so my bill was considerably less than I had anticipated. Still a bit over $150 for the both of them but I was expecting a good deal more. They seem to be doing fine. Chica has drunk a load of water, guess she was a bit dehydrated. She hasn't come looking for the babies so I haven't shown them she is home. First thing they will want to do is nurse and I figure she doesn't need that! Rocky is so glad his girlfriend is home. He was one lost tom cat all yesterday and last night. I'm glad it's all over! The encased beads all lived so that is a good thing! Had a few odds and ends that refused to come off the mandrel as my release was far too thin on those rods.

Well, off to clean up my Etsy store. Need to unlist halloween beads and list a few others. Happy Halloween to all!

Ritazart
10-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Maggie, Right now a bit of normalcy is good for you and the girls. I hope you have an enjoyable evening and know we love you and are here to support ou yin any way we can.

Claire, I think Gwen is right, just let Leon drag the leash around when he is not going for a walk and he may adjust to it quickly.

Angela, Thanks, but God forbid I need to pass any sort of inspection on my sewing, but for one night it will work. :D

Gwen, I will have to go looking for your encased beads. I am so anxious to try everything. I have the torch all set up and the mandrels are dipped and drying. I think I dipped about 75 of them. I have both 1/16 and 3/32. I am so glad the “girls” are back home. I'll bet they were dehydrated. They usually don't give them much after surgery since they may vomit from the anesthetic. They should both be feeling better in a couple of days. I'll bet Rocky was really lonely. Hope you can keep the kittens off Chica's belly.

The kids were just here on their way to Trick-or-Treat:

Cassie with her handsome Prince, and the entire group.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2008/105733-cass_n_eric.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2008/105733-family_o_fun.jpg

ValleyCreekStudio
10-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Rita, that is really cool! I bet they have so much fun. Hope you get to play on your torch soon. I mostly use the 1/16 mandrels since they make the small hole that works best with stringing material. Remember, you can encase with any tranparent, it doesn't always have to be clear. Lots of transparents look better over a white base so the color really pops. Chica and Sunni avoided the front today and the babies didn't know they were home until late this evening. Now they are all in the box Norm made and the babies are sooooo glad their mama and big sister are home. Rocky was laying out back with Chica for a long time this afternoon. His little family is all complete again!

TheBlueBetween
10-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Oh Maggie, that sounds like bad news. I do believe that anything is possible though, that good things can still happen even when doctors don't think there is much of a chance. I hope that is the case for your dad. Hope you can have a little fun with Halloween and the nieces.

Gwen, that is crazy! We own those 401Ks - we determine how much we put in them, manage what investment accounts it gets invested in, and all that - how can they just take them? I have not heard that at all, will look for it and have Frank ask our investor dude about it. What is this world coming to?

Rita! That is one cool yet creepy looking familly! Of course I mean that in the best possible way! And excepting the adorable little fairy. Yay for fun Halloween stuff - you did great with the costumes!

TheBlueBetween
11-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Here is a much better picture of my two halloween kids (Kesia didn't want to play so I didn't force the issue):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2008/27814-zoeluke.jpg