PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait as an Insomniac

pracht
07-31-2002, 09:30 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-31-2002/10652_Self_portrait_as_an_Insomniac.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Self Portrait as an Insomniac
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 45x28?
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Playing with another style. This is the first piece I've ever done on linen. I will NEVER go back to cotton.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Too cartoonish? I've not done much in this style, so please tell me if I should stop and move on.

poetedamour
07-31-2002, 09:45 AM
:D Very funny and much "awake"!

It made me laugh because we've had a TV series up in Canada a few years back where the main character called "Popa" was sleeping "standing", his bed placed on the wall.

Anyway, I like the cartoonish style. It may turn out to a certain style toward a Picassoesque kind of brush stroke. I'd keep exploring this style.

Good work! :clap:

P.

giniaad
07-31-2002, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't give up on this style...
keep playing with it.
it is fun and, this one, funny
and attractive in it's manner...

I know how he/ you feel(s)...
good work

pracht
07-31-2002, 07:03 PM
Thanks, poetedamour and giniaad. I've already had another idea in this style, so I don't think I'll give it up just yet.

YLCIA
07-31-2002, 08:03 PM
This is great! Funnyyyyyy!

Julia

artinoils
07-31-2002, 08:27 PM
Interesting viepoint! Like the "style". Keep exploring. Linen is great!
Just one question...11:23 makes you an insomniac? I wonder what 4 am is? LOL

giniaad
07-31-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by artinoils
Interesting viepoint! Like the "style". Keep exploring. Linen is great!
Just one question...11:23 makes you an insomniac? I wonder what 4 am is? LOL

yeah...
when I feel that way,
the clock is much earlier in the morning...
not late at night...

it is horrible not to be able to sleep
when one wants to

love the eyes in this piece...truely shows how it feels
even if one's eyes are closed...they feel open anyway.

jerryW
08-01-2002, 08:50 AM
busy & fragmented but interesting.
wouldn't do too much of this

Elinor
08-01-2002, 10:46 AM
I really like this piece. Its very creative and very different . I would say keep exploring and see where it takes you. I would look forward to seeing more. :)

Pam B.
08-01-2002, 10:33 PM
still laughing!!!!! what fun, I'll think about this as I am not sleeping.......or then again, LOL, maybe I won't..........

pracht
08-02-2002, 01:56 PM
Julia, Elinor: thanks!

artinoils, giniaad: 11:23 is when I had the idea for the painting (Monday night), because I had just stared (restlessly) at the clock when it read 11:23. It was 1:23 when Iíd finally got up and sketched the idea out. I kept 11:23 because Iím romantic to the idea of where the idea originated. By 4:00 am Iím usually ready to go to bed.

jerryW: your conciseness (which I do appreciateóI have the same tendency) is sometimes too vague for me to interpret, but I think I got your point(s): too many things going on that arenít connected very well, and the style isnít something you see promise in for me. I REALLY appreciate your honesty; it keeps me grounded.

Pam: I know how you feel (obviously).

Thanks everyone!

Bill170
08-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Very nice.
You never know what you are going to see when you click on a title and it's fun to be presently surprised.
Really like the style - only problem I have is he "reads" as standing not lying down ( but maybe that is what you were trying for).

futurebird
08-05-2002, 02:26 AM
somehow the colors seem to "nice" and harmonious to be insomnia. That is, it's a little sleepy-- I get more of a groggy waking up feeling from it then UP ALL NIGHT I CANNOT SEEEEEEEEEEEEEP (sorry this is a *sniff* 'personal' subject for me...)

As for the style-- I don't think it's "too cartoony" I'd love to see the real thing, the texture looks wondeful. It's a little "pretty" and that's good and bad, but it seems fun-- but could it be more urget?

(BTW: I could see this selling as it is easy, that is, I think it's "done", I'm just talking about my expectations from the title, mostly)

pracht
08-05-2002, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Bill and futurebird. I suppose this could have been more psychotic, like those voices you sometimes hear coming from the dark corners of the room at 3:45 in the morning after having been up all night. I guess my I'm not courageous enough as an artist to try to portray that yet. And I've only started experimenting with this style.

futurebird
08-05-2002, 01:05 PM
Totally! I think it's a great style and I'll look out to see where else you go with it if you stick with it for bit.

futurebird
08-05-2002, 01:08 PM
Totally. Did I mention that I liked it??? LOL! I can be really bitchy when it come to feedback, but if I think something is no good I don't bother to say anything.

busy91
08-05-2002, 02:33 PM
I don't think it is too cartoonish, kind of reminds me of Picasso in a way. I'd keep at it for certain subjects.

Noble
08-05-2002, 03:04 PM
I couldn't help but chuckle. Not too much art has me chuckle, nice job. If you really love doing this kind of thing I'd say your on to something. If it's just something different to try then maybe play around a bit and move on unless you develop a strong likeing to it.

I'm a little confused about the yellow thing upper left. It seems like a fan, but maybe it's a lampshade that isn't round. It seems to work shape wise I just couldn't read it. Frankly, that isn't important and I wouldn't change it.

The blanket at the top seems a little pointy. I'd be interested in what else you come up with along these lines.

jkschwehm
08-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Like idea, like the lower left black blues and covers greens reds. I think it needs more work on face and hand. Something makes it look too rustic in body parts. Also clock, 11:30 is about when I get to bed??? mAYBE 3:OOam?

maybefoolish
08-06-2002, 01:27 AM
How could it be _too_ cartoony? It _is_ a cartoon after all isn't it?

It's funny, it's a little narrative, it's a cartoon, so the cartoon style fits it. If you were trying to say something serious then they style wouldn't fit, but it does here.

pracht
08-06-2002, 10:10 AM
futurebird: Like or not, I appreciate the feedback. I can be bitchy myself sometimes, so I certainly wonít hold that against you!

busy91: Good point. It think thatís where my head is lately, too.

Noble: The yellow thing is a lamp fixture. I thought the shape would make this feel more alert than the typical round lampshade. Iíve got another idea in mind for this style, so stay tuned!

jkschwehm: Thanks. I thought 11:32 to be the typical start of my insomniatic escapes, plus itís the time of night when this idea (for the painting) occurred to me.

maybefoolish: Good points. Very good points!

Jangogh
08-07-2002, 12:12 AM
I like it with the exception of the lamp and clock in the upper corner. An open window with dark sky and a bright moon would say the same thing. I like how I am not quite sure what position this is suppose to be looked at. Are the slippers on the floor? If the window was put in horizontally, it would add to that bizarro world of insomnia.

lspinella
08-08-2002, 02:26 AM
I am town between laughing out loud and feeling
sympathetic pangs of guilt and worry. You really capture
the crazed panic
of not sleeping. I really enjoy this