PDA

View Full Version : ArtistsNetworkTV

Eric Allen
10-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey all,

Has anyone checked out ArtistsNetwork.TV? What did you think about the site? Do you recognize any of the artists? Have you tried any of the video workshops? Is there an artist that you'd like to see a video workshop done by? I'd like to see some of the art work produced directly from the workshop instruction. Please post any resulting work for constructive feedback.

I'd also like to know what you feel about video workshops/tutorials in general? I'm a huge fan of video tutorials because you have the luxury of being able to pause, you do not have to take notes, or if you do, your not holding up the rest of the class. I know in college I always tried to take notes, but there would be little tidbits I would miss. With video lectures you can go back to a specific part and refresh your memory.

Do you have any links to great video tutorials? Please post them here and let's start a dialog on the viability of using video for learning.

Peace,
Eric Allen

gdobush
10-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Just an update on Sharon Sprung—she showed a portrait in progress in one of her ArtistsNetwork.TV videos. I recently blogged about the final product!

gdobush
10-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Here's the image:

http://artistsblog.artistsnetwork.com/New+Work+From+Sharon+Sprung.aspx

Mary in Oregon
11-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey all,

Has anyone checked out ArtistsNetwork.TV? What did you think about the site? Do you recognize any of the artists? Have you tried any of the video workshops?

I'd also like to know what you feel about video workshops/tutorials in general?
Eric Allen

I just looked at artistsnetwork.tv because of this post. Very disappointed. I recognize some of the artists but would like to see a preview of the video and more info about each one.....how long it is, etc. Prices seem a bit high ...especially without knowing more about what you get for the $$$. There was a button to click on that said 'free previews' but it just took me in a circle back to purchase options. Do you have to join or buy before seeing any previews? It doesn't say that anywhere, but if that's the case, that's not a good thing.

In answer your question about video workshops....I think I'd rather buy a book or rent the video. Why? Most videos I've seen are pretty short and therefore contain very little information. Even if the video is good, I probably wouldn't watch it over and over 'for years to come'. Drop the price to $10 and I might rent it for 6 months. ;)

Eric Allen
11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for your feedback! No, you don't have to purchase a video to see the previews. You should be able to see a 3-5 minute preview by selecting the "Workshop Details/Previews" tab at the top navigation bar. Once there, you can click the "Preview Now" button below the screen capture of the artist's workshop. If for some reason this is still not working for you check our youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/artistsnetwork

What's nice about owning a video/DVD is that you can always go back to refer to it. Also, being able to pause, rewind, and fast forward lets you pick and choose want content you want to view or review.

Thanks again for giving your thoughts.

faith1110
11-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I bought a subscription at artistsnetwork.tv. I think it's rather a mixed bunch of workshops, with Stephen Quiller way ahead in quality and overall planning and a few artisans making rather odd "art" in various media and with varying degrees of eccentricity, trailing along behind (sometimes way behind).
Also, I do think that a few more workshops could be made available - they are not really keeping to their promise. I don't necessarily want several workshops from one artist doing the same things over and over again. I think it would be a much better strategy to have lots of artists contributing to the subscription system - and shorter videos would in many cases be just as effective. Some are really quite tedious!
But since I will not be risking my new MasterCard by renewing my subscription, it won't make much difference except in the level of annoyance at not having a varied and interesting enough choice to watch. (see below)
I also think that there should be better production control for art instruction videos. Too much time is wasted during filming. Artists sharping pencils, rummaging on the floor, looking for things in their studio, getting their tools together, generally repeating themselves, and there are too few cuts of unnecessarily prolonged processes. The viewer wants to learn something, but hasn't started out as a total beginner, one may safely assume. And even then.....
But what really bothered me was that my MC payment was traced by hackers and my card had to be replaced because 3 attempts were made in the USA to lift money from my account - fortunately this was spotted and my card blocked by my provider. I reported this problem to the site administrators, but my mail was ignored. Since that payment was absolutely the only one made anywhere on that card at a time which could possibly have led to the hacking, there is no doubt that there was a leak somewhere at artistsnetwork. Not a good recommendation for a supposedly safe payment site.

faith1110
11-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, someone must have been listening! I went to artistsnetwork and found a new video: Gary Greene and colored pencils. This is a professionally made demo - I assume by Lyra, since the brand is massively advertised - but I don't mind that. The video is well designed and after 3 minutes of Lyra extoling Lyra, actually gets on with the job, though Gary is hooked on Lyra (for whatever reason) and I think it would be nice of other products were given an airing, since not all products are available everywhere. However, that said....I'm about 25 minutes into the video and it is moving fast! Let's hope the next additions to the collection are on this technical level. I can't really judge the artistic value since I haven't watched the whole movie yet.

artisan05
11-24-2008, 07:56 PM
:clap: Hi everyone I would like to add that I am currently studying with the artists N.T.V. and have found it very informative and love to watch the way each individual paints or draws..
it has given me so much more confidence and producing better work.I will post some of my work at a later date as i am working like mad on a couple of commissions. the product will polish your work...cheers Lorri:smug:

bluelilac
11-25-2008, 01:43 AM
I paid for six month access to two of Stephen Quiller's presentations and I think it is a fine investment. It's so great to just log in and watch him at his craft. I see something new every time.
And I think the previews of the various artists are excellent.
It is a great opportunity to learn.

jackied
11-25-2008, 10:54 PM
A few months ago I purchased a 6 month sub to the videos, but it wasn't long before I asked for a refund.

Here's why: normally, with my 256K connection, I wait for a video to download completely and then watch it in one go without stops and starts.

Unfortunately ANTV tutes are streamed, and anyone not on a blisteringly fast connection will experience constant interruptions. What was really annoying was not being able to rewind - I had to stay glued to the screen in case the video restarted when I wasn't looking (ie browsing another site). Trying to watch a mere 10 minutes of sputtering video over the 1/2 hour it took to download was such a frustrating experience that I asked for a refund.

From what I did manage to watch I was very happy with, and I felt really disappointed it didn't work out.

I was told that the videos would be offered on DVD, but what with the high cost of postage to Australia and the rise of the Australian $ against the US $ it's not an option.

I can't be the only one on a 265K connection who experienced a similar problem. Never mind, I guess the artist's who make these videos, and ANTV, don't really want our money. :rolleyes:

RooGal
11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
I suppose I wouldn't mind watching the workshop on my computer, except for one thing. My computer is not anywhere near where I paint, plus we have a slower speed connection here as well.

I prefer to purchase a dvd and watch at my leisure although I would like to know the run time. Also, dvd's go by regions of the world and a dvd made for the American region won't play in the Australia region.

I think this is a wonderful concept here, but you need to work out all the bugs.

Mary in Oregon
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
You should be able to see a 3-5 minute preview by selecting the "Workshop Details/Previews" tab at the top navigation bar. Once there, you can click the "Preview Now" button below the screen capture of the artist's workshop. If for some reason this is still not working for you check our youtube channel:

Thanks for the YouTube link. I was able to view previews at YouTube but had trouble getting the 'Preview Now' button to work at ANTV . As many posts here have said, the Stephen Quiller videos look interesting (he's a favorite anyway) but, sorry to say, many others....not so much! But I'll keep ANTV in mind to see how things grow and improve.

Mary in Oregon
12-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Readers here might be interested in viewing the comments on a similar topic at American Artist:
What Do You Think … About Filmed Art Instruction?
http://forums.myamericanartist.com/blogs/steve/archive/2008/11/24/what-do-you-think-about-filmed-art-instruction.aspx

Eric Allen
12-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the link to the mirror discussion on the viability of video workshops for art instruction. In my estimation from the feedback I've received, it is a well sought after avenue for learning. The convenience cannot be overestimated.

Eric Allen
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I bought a subscription at artistsnetwork.tv. I think it's rather a mixed bunch of workshops, with Stephen Quiller way ahead in quality and overall planning and a few artisans making rather odd "art" in various media and with varying degrees of eccentricity, trailing along behind (sometimes way behind).
Also, I do think that a few more workshops could be made available - they are not really keeping to their promise. I don't necessarily want several workshops from one artist doing the same things over and over again. I think it would be a much better strategy to have lots of artists contributing to the subscription system - and shorter videos would in many cases be just as effective. Some are really quite tedious!
But since I will not be risking my new MasterCard by renewing my subscription, it won't make much difference except in the level of annoyance at not having a varied and interesting enough choice to watch. (see below)
I also think that there should be better production control for art instruction videos. Too much time is wasted during filming. Artists sharping pencils, rummaging on the floor, looking for things in their studio, getting their tools together, generally repeating themselves, and there are too few cuts of unnecessarily prolonged processes. The viewer wants to learn something, but hasn't started out as a total beginner, one may safely assume. And even then.....
But what really bothered me was that my MC payment was traced by hackers and my card had to be replaced because 3 attempts were made in the USA to lift money from my account - fortunately this was spotted and my card blocked by my provider. I reported this problem to the site administrators, but my mail was ignored. Since that payment was absolutely the only one made anywhere on that card at a time which could possibly have led to the hacking, there is no doubt that there was a leak somewhere at artistsnetwork. Not a good recommendation for a supposedly safe payment site.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the site and video workshops in general. I checked on your concern with the billing, and ANTV is protected by the Verisign through Paypal. Paypay is owned by ebay, so it is a very trusted eCommerce arbitrator.

Eric Allen
12-09-2008, 10:14 AM
A few months ago I purchased a 6 month sub to the videos, but it wasn't long before I asked for a refund.

Here's why: normally, with my 256K connection, I wait for a video to download completely and then watch it in one go without stops and starts.

Unfortunately ANTV tutes are streamed, and anyone not on a blisteringly fast connection will experience constant interruptions. What was really annoying was not being able to rewind - I had to stay glued to the screen in case the video restarted when I wasn't looking (ie browsing another site). Trying to watch a mere 10 minutes of sputtering video over the 1/2 hour it took to download was such a frustrating experience that I asked for a refund.

From what I did manage to watch I was very happy with, and I felt really disappointed it didn't work out.

I was told that the videos would be offered on DVD, but what with the high cost of postage to Australia and the rise of the Australian $ against the US $ it's not an option.

I can't be the only one on a 265K connection who experienced a similar problem. Never mind, I guess the artist's who make these videos, and ANTV, don't really want our money. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, running any video content on a 256K connection is not going to work well. The connection is just too slow to show the quality needed for art instruction. If you have a friend with a higher speed connection, then you'll be able soon to download movies from ANTV. This will allow you to burn your own DVDs.

Eric Allen
12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I paid for six month access to two of Stephen Quiller's presentations and I think it is a fine investment. It's so great to just log in and watch him at his craft. I see something new every time.
And I think the previews of the various artists are excellent.
It is a great opportunity to learn.
Yes, Steven Quiller really makes it look easy. I'm glad that you have found a value in his instruction. There will be new videos coming out in the new year that will have better camera angles and quality of production. Stay Tuned!

KarinaRose
01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I am enjoying the videos, but am having a lot of trouble with the stream stopping as well - and I do have a high speed connection. The first day I watched 2 all the way through with no stops. Yesterday and today they don't go for more than 2 minutes without stopping, and they don't start up again. Any ideas? I tried emailing them but they said that just happens. If that's so, why didn't it happen on the first two I watched? Any help would be appreciated.
Karen

Eric Allen
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I am enjoying the videos, but am having a lot of trouble with the stream stopping as well - and I do have a high speed connection. The first day I watched 2 all the way through with no stops. Yesterday and today they don't go for more than 2 minutes without stopping, and they don't start up again. Any ideas? I tried emailing them but they said that just happens. If that's so, why didn't it happen on the first two I watched? Any help would be appreciated.
Karen

Hi Karen,

If it glitches, ussually you can just close the window and open it back up again, and it fixes the problem. Becasue it is streaming, sometimes the data gets backed up in the player. If this doesn't help, try a new browser, like firefox. I'm glad you're enjoying the videos, hopefully you'll find a solution to the start/stop issues.

Artist_by_Accident
01-25-2009, 09:48 AM
This sounds like a good idea - on the surface.

However, I don't see any way to even see what videos are available let alone preview one! If you click on any tab at the top, you get sent right back to the same page. It's the same with most of the links on the page.

If you can't even get the website to work, it may be a pretty good indication that nothing else will work either.

Eric Allen
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
I just checked it and it was working fine, so I don't know what the specific problem might be. It could be your browser. Try firefox if you're using explorer. You can also check the previews at the Youtube channel:

Hope this helps.

azdreamer2
02-04-2009, 07:26 PM
For those (like me) who do not enjoy the stop/start/halting playback on the subscription type workshops here is a suggestion. Many of these video workshops from ArtistsNetworkTV are now available to purchase as a DVD which will solve the problems and the cost is reasonable. Last month they were on special at 40% off for a few days....and if you wait it may happen again? Diane

I emailed their customer service and was told they are working on putting all of them out on DVD....so keep checking....or email your request and see when it will be availble.

sunnysal
02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I bought a subscription to the net work but do not have the website; I entered thro wetcanvas. How do I get to the website?

Sonya Meglaurel
02-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Had subscribed to it as well. Kept being told that the DSL had (rr.com) was not fast enough. Was very frustrating as many of the workshops were very interesting from what had viewed of them. Tried the links on both laptop and the main computer. It just would keep stopping and became extremely frustrating. Had so wanted this type of offering. Wound up getting the money back. Cant buy the amount of videos offered for the subscription price. Was real disappointment

azdreamer2
02-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Sonya
The best deal for the ArtistsNetworkTV series of workshops is to wait until they go on sale....if/when the price is then right, go for it. I would have purchased two at the 40% off if the artist had been available at the time. Now that particular artist's workshops are available on the DVD format and I am just waiting the right sale price to tempt me.

For those who would rather just rent (and invest less into each DVD), there is a website which I have used to rent videos at: www.smartflix.com

Another website for purchasing DVD's that I can recommend from my own experience (they had wonderful customer service) is creative catalyst site at : www.ccpvideos.com
I am on their emailing list and wait for special offers and sales which come seasonally and sometimes around special holidays. The previews and customer reviews will help you choose the right one for you.

Sonya, if you are interested in only renting art videos and not wanting to own titles you could check out the smartflix site as they have a wide variety of subjects and art media. Diane

Eric Allen
02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I bought a subscription to the net work but do not have the website; I entered thro wetcanvas. How do I get to the website?

Hi, just go to:

http://artistsnetwork.tv/

Eric Allen
02-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Had subscribed to it as well. Kept being told that the DSL had (rr.com) was not fast enough. Was very frustrating as many of the workshops were very interesting from what had viewed of them. Tried the links on both laptop and the main computer. It just would keep stopping and became extremely frustrating. Had so wanted this type of offering. Wound up getting the money back. Cant buy the amount of videos offered for the subscription price. Was real disappointment

Yes, like I have recommended to others, you might want to try a new browser (Firefox, Opera...). Because it is streaming, there might be a hiccup on occasion, but if you just stop (close window) then start (re-open it), it usually fixes the problem. Many people utilize this type of streaming video with little to no problems, and there are many factors why it might not be working for you (video card specifications or internet connection speed just to name two). I agree that the value of the subscription is very good and getting better, as more videos are being added weekly. FYI, ArtistsNetworkTV will soon offer videos for download, which will solve the issues you're having with streaming.

azdreamer2
02-23-2009, 05:06 PM
:wave: For those who do not like the online feed process or lack of smooth watching....

Just a quick heads up that the ArtistsNetwork workshops are available on DVD and are on sale now at 30% off using code: ART222 through 2/23. I received email a few days ago about it from F&W and did buy a couple. Diane

OMah
03-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey all,

Has anyone checked out ArtistsNetwork.TV? What did you think about the site? Do you recognize any of the artists? Have you tried any of the video workshops? Is there an artist that you'd like to see a video workshop done by? I'd like to see some of the art work produced directly from the workshop instruction. Please post any resulting work for constructive feedback.

I'd also like to know what you feel about video workshops/tutorials in general? I'm a huge fan of video tutorials because you have the luxury of being able to pause, you do not have to take notes, or if you do, your not holding up the rest of the class. I know in college I always tried to take notes, but there would be little tidbits I would miss. With video lectures you can go back to a specific part and refresh your memory.

Do you have any links to great video tutorials? Please post them here and let's start a dialog on the viability of using video for learning.

Peace,
Eric Allen
I am using Artists Network TV and really like it. I live in a remote area with few instruction offerings, so the videos are a boon. Some of them are uneven-I just watched a very dark one on composing a portrait.

I would greatly appreciate a handout with materials and supplies--I notice that Mark Willenbrink has posted the picture he used for a drawing lesson. It would be nice to have similar tools from the other video instructors.

I appreciate having the ability to stop the video, and to back up when needed. My 6 month subscription is a great value for me.

Geoff
03-28-2009, 11:28 AM
..................If you have a friend with a higher speed connection, then you'll be able soon to download movies from ANTV. This will allow you to burn your own DVDs.

:cool:

When is this option expected, the last thing I need is to have the hastle again with the post ....

OMah
03-28-2009, 04:19 PM
I've just seen the new Lee Hammond lesson and want more by her. She's a great teacher, her pace, encouragement and demonstrations are well-ordered and clearly presented. The lighting, sound and camera work were all very well done.

In the last two weeks, several new videos were added to the venue. Thanks very much. For me ANTV is a great buy!

Eric Allen
03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
:cool:

When is this option expected, the last thing I need is to have the hastle again with the post ....

You can now buy downloads at www.northlightshop.com.

Eric Allen
03-29-2009, 10:01 PM
I've just seen the new Lee Hammond lesson and want more by her. She's a great teacher, her pace, encouragement and demonstrations are well-ordered and clearly presented. The lighting, sound and camera work were all very well done.

In the last two weeks, several new videos were added to the venue. Thanks very much. For me ANTV is a great buy!

There will be another workshop coming out next Friday April 3rd on painting animals in accrylic. She is a great teacher, I agree. I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Geoff
03-30-2009, 03:23 AM
You can now buy downloads at www.northlightshop.com.

True, but the majority of these are magazines, and few are videos currently on the ArtistsNetwork.tv...

Eric Allen
03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
More are coming soon.

VeeKee
04-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I am very pleased with my six month subscription to ArtistsNetwork TV. In fact I love the selection of the workshops offered and feel like a kid in the candy store at this point. I LOVED the video for the Watercolorists Essential Notebook-Landscapes and plan to watch it again. Very inspiring and well filmed. I've also watched the collage workshop and look forward to Stephen Quiller's workshops.

A tip for those who are having troubles viewing the full workshops without pauses and interruptions of the streaming occuring. I was having lots of pauses, false starts and problems with viewing the longer workshops, especially the one I mentioned above. (I have a DSL Cable connection.) In desparation I right-clicked on the screen and a menu appeared which allowed me to allocate more of my computer's memory to the viewing of the streaming video (I think it was through Quicktime). I selected "infinite" memory allocated, (or similar wording) and have had absolutely no problem from that moment on. Try it!

Bett Bee
05-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi there.

Questions I'd like answered:

1) Do these videos discuss the value of observation, or teach perspective or composition?

2) Do they relate the work being done and the material being used to a study of art history and of artists - both contemporary and those who have come before - as a visual lexicon, that students can learn to access in their own objective or nonobjective efforts?

3) Are these videos concerned with creating "effects" and doing tricks with art supplies? Or are they weighted more heavily toward supporting an artist's search for representation via mark-making? Do they offer any deeper understanding of how color and light work with different materials? Or do they just show someone using the various media, leaving the viewer to attempt to try to copy the artist on the screen and figure out what they are doing?

4) Is there any way to ask questions of the artists themselves? It seems that it would be difficult to create an art demo that won't leave at least some of the many different kinds of artists and students that will view it with pertinent questions. I would suggest a place for people to write in and have questions answered on a page everyone can see. Perhaps part of the membership fees could go to supporting a staff member's efforts in selecting questions for the artists to answer and posting them online.

I ask all of these questions because I checked out artistsnetwork.tv and could not access any previews except for one rather uninstructive dragon tutorial in which a young woman was drawing a dragon from - well, we aren't sure where she's getting the basis for the creature, what she observed in order to come up with the forms she's putting down on the paper.

I suspect she's been looking at images from science fiction and "swords & sorcerers" fiction - there is no indication of whether she has taken the time to see where historical dragon art comes from and to observe the creatures from which artists in history drew the forms of their imagined creatures. While there is nothing wrong with drawing from imagination, I wonder whether this particular segment is the proper introduction for what is supposed to be an instructional site.

I could not access any other part of that site - clicking on the workshop/previews tab brought me right back to the page with the dragon tutorial, as did the button saying "click here for free previews."

Since I can't see any of the previews, I can only assume that this is a Bob Ross or similar level of art instruction, suitable for folks who have a little money to throw around who want to paint pretty pictures and can't figure out what to do with the materials.

If that assessment is unfair, then the folks at artistsnetwork.tv need to live up to their claims of giving previews of all the videos. And please make those previews actually instructional, not just videos of artists painting or drawing.

Eric Allen
05-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Questions I'd like answered:

1) Do these videos discuss the value of observation, or teach perspective or composition?

Generally these videos are, for the most part, geared towards the beginner and intermediate, but there are also some advanced techniques. Yes, there are videos that address observation, or teach perspective or composition. For instance, Charles Reid addresses observation while drawing/painting from a live model. There are many artists that talk about composition. James Toogood talks about perspective before a he starts painting a landscape.

2) Do they relate the work being done and the material being used to a study of art history and of artists - both contemporary and those who have come before - as a visual lexicon, that students can learn to access in their own objective or nonobjective efforts?

There are not a lot of references to art history and/or art movements (contemporary or otherwise), though these are areas we would like to expand to and incorporate into out library.

3) Are these videos concerned with creating "effects" and doing tricks with art supplies?

There are some videos that show how to use certain new products, Merle Rosen comes to mind.

Or are they weighted more heavily toward supporting an artist's search for representation via mark-making?

Again, at this point, we don't have any content for this, but I see how this could be valuable information.

Do they offer any deeper understanding of how color and light work with different materials? Or do they just show someone using the various media, leaving the viewer to attempt to try to copy the artist on the screen and figure out what they are doing?

Yes, there are artists who try to elucidate how light can be represented by various mediums.

4) Is there any way to ask questions of the artists themselves?

Yes, there are some artists that have started threads here. If you'd like to ask an artists that does not have a thread, let me know and I'll request that they start one.

It seems that it would be difficult to create an art demo that won't leave at least some of the many different kinds of artists and students that will view it with pertinent questions. I would suggest a place for people to write in and have questions answered on a page everyone can see. Perhaps part of the membership fees could go to supporting a staff member's efforts in selecting questions for the artists to answer and posting them online.

That's what this sub-forum is supposed to be, but thanks for your suggestion, as it makes a lot of sense.

I ask all of these questions because I checked out artistsnetwork.tv and could not access any previews except for one rather uninstructive dragon tutorial in which a young woman was drawing a dragon from - well, we aren't sure where she's getting the basis for the creature, what she observed in order to come up with the forms she's putting down on the paper.

I'm not sure why you could not watch the previews on the "preview page", but you can also see them at our Youtube channel:

I suspect she's been looking at images from science fiction and "swords & sorcerers" fiction - there is no indication of whether she has taken the time to see where historical dragon art comes from and to observe the creatures from which artists in history drew the forms of their imagined creatures. While there is nothing wrong with drawing from imagination, I wonder whether this particular segment is the proper introduction for what is supposed to be an instructional site.

She is drawing from her imagination, but she says that whe references animals, lizards, and birds. I agree it would be nice to go into the historical relevance of dragons; Maybe next time!

I could not access any other part of that site - clicking on the workshop/previews tab brought me right back to the page with the dragon tutorial, as did the button saying "click here for free previews."

Since I can't see any of the previews, I can only assume that this is a Bob Ross or similar level of art instruction, suitable for folks who have a little money to throw around who want to paint pretty pictures and can't figure out what to do with the materials.

As I said above, this is or the beginning to intermediate artist, but many valuable techniques can be found for the seasoned artist as well.

If that assessment is unfair, then the folks at artistsnetwork.tv need to live up to their claims of giving previews of all the videos. And please make those previews actually instructional, not just videos of artists painting or drawing.

Thanks for you feedback and good questions. There will be many more additions to come on ArtistsNetwork.TV, so I think you'll find something that peaks your interest.

RainySea
08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I really wanted to purchase the DVD or a downable video of one of the workshops, but when I went to that link, the one workshop I want is NOT LISTED! :(

Why are all the workshops not for sale in that format?

Thanks.

Eric Allen
08-06-2009, 03:04 PM
We are working to get all the video workshop titles available for download soon. I would estimate that they will be ready to pruchase in approximately two months. I know that you're interested in the latest Charles Reid title, so I will list this as a priority.

Thanks for your feedback!

RainySea
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Actually. . . I am interested in Colin Bradley's one on dogs. Will you be having anymore by him?!
Thanks!

bosSun
08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
All the excellent discussion Eric generated set me thinking; If I have $100 to buy art instructions how csn I best spend it?

Eric Allen
08-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Actually. . . I am interested in Colin Bradley's one on dogs. Will you be having anymore by him?!
Thanks!

OK, yes we'll have Colin's video also avaible for download soon. This is the only video we have by him at this time.

Eric Allen
08-18-2009, 03:22 PM
All the excellent discussion Eric generated set me thinking; If I have $100 to buy art instructions how csn I best spend it?

In my humble opinion, ArtistsNetworkTV is well worth the $100 subscription fee. With more than 40 art instruction videos, that can be viewed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 6 months, I think you can't beat the price.

wishicouldpaint
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Has anyone had trouble getting a response from Customer Service at ArtistNetworkTV? I wanted to use my gift Visa card to pay for the 6 mo. program but they don't accept it or paypal or personal check or money order. I was really looking forward to joining. If anyone has a pho# to call them I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
De

twiedenhaefer
08-31-2009, 08:17 AM
I too am interested in subscribing to ANTV but have been unable to contact them via phone and they have yet to respond to my email via customer service. My question is do the videos remain in the library indefinitely or do they rotate out of circulation?

Eric Allen
08-31-2009, 10:24 AM
I too am interested in subscribing to ANTV but have been unable to contact them via phone and they have yet to respond to my email via customer service. My question is do the videos remain in the library indefinitely or do they rotate out of circulation?

Hi, that is a great question! Yes, the videos remain in the library. They do not rotate. When you get a 6 month subscription, you get access to over 40 videos (plus we average 1 new video per week, atleast 2 per month).

twiedenhaefer
09-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Thank you for the quick turn around on my question. I'm very excited to join ANTW. I have to wait a few weeks because my schedule is so hectic and I know once I join I won't leave my studio for a long while. :)

LindsayBakerArt
12-18-2009, 07:33 PM
I bought a subscription this morning, but when I go to "my purchased workshops", it says there aren't any. I tried logging out and back in again, same story. I've written to customer service but given that it's the weekend I don't expect to hear from them until next week. I was planning to spend the weekend watching the workshops, so I am not happy :mad:

LindsayBakerArt
12-19-2009, 12:07 AM
I bought a subscription this morning, but when I go to "my purchased workshops", it says there aren't any. I tried logging out and back in again, same story. I've written to customer service but given that it's the weekend I don't expect to hear from them until next week. I was planning to spend the weekend watching the workshops, so I am not happy :mad:
Never mind, I've figured it out.

Admins, please note: the artistsnetwork.tv site does not work correctly with either Safari or Firefox on Mac OSX. You can add something to your cart, but when you go to the checkout, it is gone (total in cart = $0.00). I didn't notice the first time which is why I thought I had subscribed when in fact I had not. I ended up using Google's new browser and that did work correctly, and now I'm able to see the workshops (using Safari).

Rusla
01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I have just tried to sign up for it in Firefox and it is still not working in there. That surprises me as if Firefox is a heavily used browser. As I have three browsers on my Mac and do not use Safari anymore due to various reasons. I have decided to try it on Camino. Big surprise it works there and not many use Camino. As all of my websites are designed to work on Camino, Firefox, Safari,and Netscape. One would think they would do the same because some people only use Firefox.

jenniferlepore
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
We went to artistsnetwork.tv with our Mac this morning, and the shopping cart worked for us with Firefox and with Safari, so not sure what the issue could be.

You'll want to click on the "Buy Workshops" tab, then click the "add to cart" link for the workshop you want. And that should work for you.

When you click "Add to Cart" it automatically takes you to your shopping cart's page and you'll see the item in there. Make sure you have cookies enabled.

If you are clicking on the Buy Workshop button in the preview windows you will still need to go through the process above, even after you click that buy workshop button in the preview window.

Hope this helps.

All best,
Jennifer

LindsayBakerArt
01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Jennifer, I'll send you a PM with more info.

Regards,
Lindsay

RainySea
01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
I posted a while ago about Colin's videos for download. . . it was indicated they'd be available soon but I checked and they still are not available to download. I would love to get both of them but prefer to download them as my streaming is slow and random. Thanks.

RainySea
01-27-2010, 12:18 AM
oh, one more question please. . . I noticed that when I went to the order site where it asked for my credit card, that is was NOT a https: site. . . most sites that use security encryption have that URL??

jenniferlepore
01-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I posted a while ago about Colin's videos for download. . . it was indicated they'd be available soon but I checked and they still are not available to download. I would love to get both of them but prefer to download them as my streaming is slow and random. Thanks.

Hi there,
Thanks so much for your interest in these videos as downloads. I apologize for the continued delay on making these available in our NorthLightShop.com. Please be assured we are still moving forward on this. :)

All best,
Jennifer

jenniferlepore
01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
oh, one more question please. . . I noticed that when I went to the order site where it asked for my credit card, that is was NOT a https: site. . . most sites that use security encryption have that URL??

Hi there,
When entering your credit card information to make a purchase, your credit data is secured using PayPal's VeriSign Secured transaction process. PayPal is one of the most trusted providers of online payment processing on the Internet. Please note that your full credit card number is never stored on our servers. For added security, our employees never have access to your full credit card number.

It won't show at "https" in the address bar of the page, because of the way our site it built, but please be assured that your CC info is most definitely a secured/encrypted transaction.

All best,
Jennifer

Liz4264
01-31-2010, 02:43 PM
I subscribed to two six month videos by Gordon McKensie and I have until Feb. 2 on one and March 6 on the other and now I can't find how to access them. Does anyone know what happened? I would like to subscribe to another on and renew one of my old ones but now I'm leary of doing it if I can't access them. If anyone has an answer let me know.

LindsayBakerArt
01-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Liz, do they not show up when you go into the "My purchased workshops" section?

Liz4264
01-31-2010, 08:22 PM
That's the trouble. "My purchased workshops" doesn't show up in the browser anymore. I searched for over an hour going to every conceavable page I could and it just didn't show up. I have accessed the videos many times over the last six months and now I can't. I can go to my account and see my purchases and they tell me how long I have left and ask if I want to renew but there is nowhere I can click on the site.

MarkJBrader
01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
I just signed up for the six-month access. I use Firefox on Ubuntu Linux and am upgraded to the latest Flash.

On the bar below the video there seems to be no means of controlling the position in the stream, either backwards or forwards. With over an hour length, it is necessary to be able to do that. if I owned the video on CD it would possible to do that. I can with other videos on the web.

Is this simply the way it is with your implementation? That is, I cannot go back and look for something 40 minutes into the video without having it run for 40 minutes? Is there a solution for that, other than buying the videos? If not I have to stop this subscription quick and get a refund. I have bought a couple before, and will buy more, (unless I just lost a hundred bucks, in which case, it will be longer before I do) I just thought this would be more convenient. Without the ability to jump to a position, it is definitely not useful enough to me.

I do have an option of using Firefox or IE on Windows if that is the problem. I try to avoid that, and surf from Linux because it is far safer to do so.

Mark J Brader

LindsayBakerArt
01-31-2010, 09:57 PM
It looks like they're messing around with the site and now they've broken it.

I get the "My purchased workshops" link just fine, but when I try to watch one of them, I get the following error;

The requested URL /vssext-bin/vi_FandW/vi_writePlayer.pl was not found on this server.

Mark, on the Mac it's possible to select a new position in the stream, you just hover over the progress bar and a little time caption pops up that you can drag to wherever you want it. Perhaps that feature isn't supported in Linux.

~ Lindsay

MarkJBrader
01-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Lindsay.
I just also had that happen. I tried rebooting into the Windows partition on my PC, and use IE, but then I got exactly the message you mention. I rebooted back to Linux, cleaned all caches, etc. But now I get that message there too. It's good to have feedback from you that this is going on, so I can tell its not part of my problem. I will try again tomorrow. <sigh> I don't get much art time, and it is meant to get me away from this sort of thing (I'm an old software engineer, still shoveling bits in Silicon Valley ).
This really should not have anything to do with Linux, but you never know. I really want to make this work. I think with the number of videos on the site, and the pricepoint, that artistsnetwork can take off. As the number of workshops available increase, more and more people will decide the same.

Mark

LindsayBakerArt
02-01-2010, 12:50 AM
I guess all we can do at this point is check it again tomorrow (for me here in Australia, it's only late afternoon) :-/

Liz4264
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
De, that is what I would like to know. I would like to get in touch with them but I couldn't find a contact number. I would very much like to know what is going on with the site. I, for one, enjoyed the videos I purchased until I couldn't access them.

jenniferlepore
02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for writing in here. I checked with our web team and they should have things up and running smoothly now. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience and understanding with this matter. Thanks, Lindsay, for helping folks out in the meantime :)

Rusla
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately the site still does not work with firefox. It doesn't matter what you click on it goes back to the main page.

Grrrrrr.

Randi-Lee

LindsayBakerArt
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately the site still does not work with firefox. It doesn't matter what you click on it goes back to the main page.
Are you on a Mac?

I reported this same issue a little while ago but apparently when the developers tested it, Firefox worked fine. It still does not work for me on the Mac.

However, this morning I tried using Firefox in Windows and the site works fine, so I'm wondering if they just tested that version and assumed the Mac version would be the same? Jennifer?

~ Lindsay

jenniferlepore
02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi there,
I tried Firefox on my MAC this afternoon and it worked fine for me.
Rusla, which links are you trying to click on that keep taking you to the home page?

LindsayBakerArt
02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I tried Firefox on my MAC this afternoon and it worked fine for me.
Rusla, which links are you trying to click on that keep taking you to the home page?

Edit: see my following post, this issue is solved!

I'd be interested to know what version of Firefox and OSX you're testing on, because it's starting to look like this might be something version-specific.

In answer to your question, every link takes you back to the home page. I've made a screen recording of what happens for me so you and the developers can see the problem in action for yourselves; at the end of the video I call up Firefox's "About" screen so you can see the relevant version numbers.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BT9lIh5fZOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BT9lIh5fZOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

I am extremely happy with my subscription to the site, and plan to subscribe indefinitely, so please understand that I'm only persisting with this to try to help!

~ Lindsay

LindsayBakerArt
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I've found the issue with Firefox, and it's so obvious I should have twigged to it earlier, sorry.

Go into Firefox's preferences, select "Privacy", and under Cookies, make sure that "Accept third-party cookies" is enabled. Once you do that, the site works fine.

I do want to point out that having to have these cookies enabled does make your browser less secure in general because any site you visit can drop a cookie from any other site. However you can always turn that preference off again when you're not using ANTV, or change the "Keep until" to something else.

~ Lindsay

jenniferlepore
02-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Edit: see my following post, this issue is solved!
~ Lindsay

YAY! Glad to hear it :)
Thanks for your continued help and feedback on the site.
All best,
Jennifer

MarkJBrader
02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi,
My problem is solved too. I am running in my original configuration and all is fine now. Watched a workshop last night. I am a fan of this service for sure!

Lindsay, I use 'Cookie Monster' in Firefox, which allows fine-tuned control of who I accept cookies from. Thus I do not have to open to all third-parties but can examine who wants to feed me one at any time and add it to an exception list. This works well for me. I use more plug-ins to control Java Scripts and the 'super-cookie' LSOs that Adobe abuses.

I really suggest people try Cookie Monster instead of the cookie control that comes with Firefox. It is very simple.
Mark